Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof opens by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes my 2016 Model S90D has a mind of its own. For a couple years I've had weird issues with the steering wheel controls. Primary issue was that the voice assistant button would honk the horn, every time it was clicked. Forward/Back buttons would change source not track. Sometimes when I would open the car door the voice assistant would trigger. After multiple service appts and both buttons and wiring harness replaced I just gave up on them ever working correctly. But low an behold a few months ago a software update appears to have solved that issue....BUT...introducted a new one.

The sunroof now randomly vents and doesn't automatically close. This mainly happens when I enter the car, but sometimes I've come out to my car to find the sunroof slightly open. Anyone else??

This has been a bug for about a year now. Tesla told me to wait for the software update - and in the meantime, program the steering wheel controls to an unused function (the bug activates the steering wheel button whenever you open a door and wake up the car from sleep).

Good luck!

Reactions: xtian666
This is infuriating. This is a software bug that was introduced about a year ago. Countless updates later my roof still unpredictably vents when I open the doors. Especially problematic when it is raining or I take it to the carwash. Come on Tesla figure this out and get it fixed!!!!

This has been a bug for about a year now. Tesla told me to wait for the software update - and in the meantime, program the steering wheel controls to an unused function (the bug activates the steering wheel button whenever you open a door and wake up the car from sleep).

Good luck!
OMG, didn't even think about trying that. Just made the change, will report back if that workaround does the trick.