Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof or all glass in AZ summer heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking of selling my curent 90D and getting a 100D. The 90D has the sunroof. In the summer months in AZ, I put an aftermarket window shade into the opening for the sunroof, thus great reducing the amount of light and heat coming into the front seats from the (closed) sunroof.

I rarely open the sunroof, so I am leaning towards the glass roof on any Tesla I'd get. But I'm concerned about not being able to reduce the amount of light and heat into the front seats if there is no way to fit in a sunshade as with the sunroof.

Are there any comments from glass roof owners about getting lots of heat and light into the front seats?

They should be the same as far as heat goes. The sunroof gives you the option of opening it to 15% while parked to allow most of the superheated air to escape.

5 summers in Texas with a sunroof (well, actually 4 with our S P85 and 1 with our S 100D, both with sunroofs), and haven't found a need to add a shade, and by using a combination of venting the roof and/or pre-cooling the car (both available from the smartphone app) has made the car comfortable every time we get ready to drive.

I've had sunroofs in other cars - and this is the first one where I haven't felt a need to use a shade to reduce sunlight inside.

4.7 years in the Valley of the Sun w/ my pano MS. October thru March are easy sunroof open months. The rest of the year, evenings here are made for sunroofs. Roof racks? You'll need a pano roof to support the whispbar. Make it a part of your pre-drive checklist. Seat belts: on, charge: as needed, windows: down, sunroof: open, music: as desired, homelink: activated, cleared to drive, set normal rated power, .......walkin', talking', & squawking' .... and you're off! yeahoooooo! Tesla's are just great to own here in Arizona!

• Funny
Reactions: cameronr
All my cars have had sunroof, Tesla is no different. Where I am pleasantly surprised is how quickly Tesla can cool down the interior on a hot summer afternoon when the car with panoramic roof was baking for the whole day in the parking lot.

I doubt sunshades would be any helpful. If anything, yet another annoying item to maintain.