Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put 3m crystalline 40% on everything but the windshield. I love it...darkens the top slightly (but still very visible out of) and awesome heat rejection!
The windshield is the most important piece of glass (except M3 roof?) to tint due to the large amount of sun coming in. I'm always wondering why people don't do it. There are clear ceramic films available so there no issue with being too dark.

• Informative
Reactions: txwoodchuck
The windshield is the most important piece of glass (except M3 roof?) to tint due to the large amount of sun coming in. I'm always wondering why people don't do it. There are clear ceramic films available so there no issue with being too dark.

Ha ha, literally sitting in the tint shop right now getting 70% put on the windshield. I had a rock chip from a road trip in May that I finally got fixed in late June and now got a chance to get into the tint shop.

Trying to decide if it's worth it to go with the XPEL. Thoughts?

Film: Global QDP Ceramic
Film Type: Infra-Red Color Stable Nano Charcoal Ceramic Film
IR Heat Rejection: 76%
•4 DOORS & REAR WINDOWS TINT INSTALL: $500
•FULL WINDSHIELD CLEAR CERAMIC TINT: $200 (optional)
•PANO SUNROOF TINT: $100
•SHADES AVAILABLE: 70, 50, 30, 20, 5

Film: XPEL Prime XR Plus
Film Type: Premium Hyper Nano Ceramic Film
IR Heat Rejection: 98%
•4 DOORS & REAR WINDOWS TINT INSTALL: $800
•FULL WINDSHIELD CLEAR CERAMIC TINT: $295 (optional)
•PANO SUNROOF TINT: $175
•SHADES AVAILABLE: 70, 50, 30, 20,

With every state having different allowable tint % how do you ensure your tint is legal everywhere? Ive always been confused about this.

Is there a recommended tint% so that it is uniform all around including front driver/passenger windows but excluding windshield? With the roof being factory tinted, I don't want to make it too dark but would like it to be uniform with the back windshield- would it be dumb to just start the tint where roofline fades into the back?
Check the regulations for your state: Window Tint Laws in the USA: How Dark Can You Go?. Note that tinting the entire front windshield is illegal in all 50 states, but that doesn't stop people from doing it. Tinting the upper portion is fine, but varies by state.

The roof lets in very little heat compared to the windshield. Here in south Texas we get HOT weather all summer long.

I put my hand near the top of the of the glass and I feel some heat from the sun, but nothing compared to what I feel when I move my hand a few inches towards the windshield.

I think it is a waste of money to tint the roof. The windows are another story. A good ceramic tint is worth every penny.

Is it really noticeable that the rear tint and roof don’t match?
You can definitely tell when you're in the car and looking out both windows at the same time but how often do you do that unless you're riding in the back seat? You can't tell when you're outside the car looking over the roofs. (It might be possible if you look straight down on from above it on a really bright day?)

I'm also using 35%, which isn't crazy dark. If you're looking at limo tint, the differences might be more noticeable.

Reactions: Lakeshow24
Trying to decide if it's worth it to go with the XPEL. Thoughts?

Film: Global QDP Ceramic
Film Type: Infra-Red Color Stable Nano Charcoal Ceramic Film
IR Heat Rejection: 76%
•4 DOORS & REAR WINDOWS TINT INSTALL: $500
•FULL WINDSHIELD CLEAR CERAMIC TINT: $200 (optional)
•PANO SUNROOF TINT: $100
•SHADES AVAILABLE: 70, 50, 30, 20, 5

Film: XPEL Prime XR Plus
Film Type: Premium Hyper Nano Ceramic Film
IR Heat Rejection: 98%
•4 DOORS & REAR WINDOWS TINT INSTALL: $800
•FULL WINDSHIELD CLEAR CERAMIC TINT: $295 (optional)
•PANO SUNROOF TINT: $175
•SHADES AVAILABLE: 70, 50, 30, 20,

We live in SW Florida and put the Xpel XR plus on all windows including sunroof. 70% on windshield; 35% on all other windows. It greatly cut down the heat we could feel from the sun on our arms and faces (i.e., the IR rejection) which was my main concern. I was nervous about going down to 30% on the side and back windows but if doing it over again, we'd do it. Having it on the windshield is also important. 70% doesn't interfere with day or night driving. Cost us $1000 for all the windows. Love it.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
We live in SW Florida and put the Xpel XR plus on all windows including sunroof. 70% on windshield; 35% on all other windows. It greatly cut down the heat we could feel from the sun on our arms and faces (i.e., the IR rejection) which was my main concern. I was nervous about going down to 30% on the side and back windows but if doing it over again, we'd do it. Having it on the windshield is also important. 70% doesn't interfere with day or night driving. Cost us $1000 for all the windows. Love it.
Yes it is important. Who did your film? I'm in SWFL as well.

I bought a roof sunshade off Amazon and I've left it on for about 2 weeks now, my consensus is that it helps.

My car isn't as blazing hot when I get into it at work and it also cuts down on the sun coming up while I'm driving. I didn't have to use the clips, it just stays up there by itself and has never fallen down.

I bought a roof sunshade off Amazon and I've left it on for about 2 weeks now, my consensus is that it helps.

My car isn't as blazing hot when I get into it at work and it also cuts down on the sun coming up while I'm driving. I didn't have to use the clips, it just stays up there by itself and has never fallen down.
I returned my sunshade. It was droopy. Lol. Gonna tint it.

• Funny
Reactions: Jazz_MIII