Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof Vents when Opening the Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sunroof has been venting automatically when I open the door. I haven't received an update in a long time so this started happening randomly between FW updates.
2017 Model S 75D, ver. 2021.24.28

If I walk up to the car, and the car detects the key fob and presents handles, the sunroof will vent when I open any of the car doors. This is very repeatable at home, plugged in, not plugged in, parking lot of grocery store, etc. I have to wait ~5 minutes before trying again for this to repeat. Meaning if I lock the doors, walk away and come back (within ~5 mins) the issue will not happen. But if I walk away for 5 mins (like the time it took me to write this post), the issue will happen consistently.

If I unlock the car by pushing the button on the key fob, the issue will not present.

Aside from the above, sunroof functions quite normally.

Troubleshooting: Rebooted car (scroll wheels pressed) and rebooted dash console (lower steering wheel buttons pressed) twice. I cleared cache and data on Android Tesla app (just in case). Problem persists. Prefer not to do a factory reset but I will if someone can confirm this is a valid fix.

This isn't the worst issue to have but I fear it's bug/FW related and wonder what will happen next. Will my rear hatchback start opening when I open the doors? Will the side door windows start venting?

Thank you for your thoughts.

UPDATE!
Ok so not the sunroof. Don't know why I didn't put 2 + 2 together earlier.

Last month, I had my steering wheel scroll buttons replaced by mobile repair. I've since figured out that the car is issuing a right steering wheel scroll button "press" upon waking and it gets triggered when I open the door. I had the right scroll wheel set to the sunroof so it was venting the roof when I opened the door. I tested against other settings like HVAC, screen brightness, etc. and sure enough, the sunroof stopped popping open and those other functions were getting triggered.

Weird issue but at least now I know what's happening. Contacted Tesla through the app to ask for a repair or replace at NC.

Thanks so much for your detailed and thorough diagnostics. My MS is having the exact same behavior (also after having the scroll wheels replaced). What did Tesla do to resolve this problem? The current techs tried replacing the scroll wheels again, which didn't help.

Thanks so much for your detailed and thorough diagnostics. My MS is having the exact same behavior (also after having the scroll wheels replaced). What did Tesla do to resolve this problem? The current techs tried replacing the scroll wheels again, which didn't help.
@NegativeZero Tesla tried a bunch of replacements to fix the issue, only to realize that it was a known internal bug. I wish I had asked for the internal article number but to-date the issue is still present. I keep holding out that one day in the future, a software update will fix this. I'm certain this is present on many other Model S cars. Those of us with Sunroofs experience it tactically and so it's much more noticeable. I would never have noticed this issue triggering if I had the scroll button assigned to HVAC or my contact list.

Here's what I went through ...

Tesla replaced my scroll buttons twice after the initial paid replacement. They also replaced my airbag assembly and ran a remote diagnostic before asking me to bring the car in for a hard diagnostic. All these were separate service request visits. I am very thankful for Tesla and their mobile fleet. Had I needed to bring my car in for all these separate service issues, I'd be pretty sour.

Couple things to note. My car was out of standard warranty so I paid (coughed up) the $300 for the scroll wheel button replacements. The other two were no charge. Unbeknownst to me at the time, airbag assemblies have a 5 year warranty and I was within that period so they also replaced that for free. But when it got to a point that I was out of warranty for the next part in line to "try", I said stop. I wasn't going to pay for Tesla to replace parts only to find out it's not the issue. They totally agreed and had me bring the car in for a hard diag (in the shop). They kept it for a little over a week before I got the call that this was a known bug (sigh). They verified the error logs present in my car with the documented issue and said it was an exact match.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Infotainment upgrade at some point. If that fixes the issue (somehow), I'll repost. Longshot but it's something I was going to do anyway so maybe this will be part of the fix.

My car is a 2017, MCU1, AP2.5. Hope this detail helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Exact same problem here...sunroof autovents. Was told it needs a software fix. It's been like 5 months and still wiating. My concern is it will get rained on one day and then we have bigger issues when car gets flooded due to Tesla's incmpetence. What gets me is this is not the car I purchased. For eg. If you buy a car with AC, regen, etc, etc then 5 years later your regen is gone, car lacks basic features like remembering temp settings, etc, etc then Tesla should either restore the car to the way it was i.e. Version 8 or fix it or give you your money back. Tesla has made so many changes to it over the years thats that this is not the same car that I bought.

Update on this post:

I upgraded the Infotainment System to the latest MCU2, AP3.0 and it appears to have fixed the Sunroof issue. I'm fairly certain this is because I'm now getting updates again and that Tesla has fixed this bug in a FW version that may simply not make it to MCU1 cars.

I've had the Infotainment Update for about a week and have not had the sunroof pop open. I'll update in another couple of weeks to confirm.

I'm currently on FW 2022.40.4. Paid $2,480.63 for the Infotainment Upgrade.

Update on this post:

I upgraded the Infotainment System to the latest MCU2, AP3.0 and it appears to have fixed the Sunroof issue. I'm fairly certain this is because I'm now getting updates again and that Tesla has fixed this bug in a FW version that may simply not make it to MCU1 cars.

I've had the Infotainment Update for about a week and have not had the sunroof pop open. I'll update in another couple of weeks to confirm.

I'm currently on FW 2022.40.4. Paid $2,480.63 for the Infotainment Upgrade.
OK so no sooner did I post this and the issue presented again. Bottom line, problem not fixed. So Infotainment upgrade will not fix the issue.

Doesn't seem as pervasive as before but definitely still happening.

I recently had the left scroll wheel replaced on my 2014 Model S. Same issue - sunroof will auto vent every time I open the doors. This never used to be the case, and it now happens 100% of the time. Has anyone been able to fix?

Reprogramming the scroll wheel buttons to control anything but the sunroof was the workaround that Tesla gave me.

Tesla service had my car for a month for this issue. Like OP, on my car they replaced several parts before root causing the issue to a software bug related to wake-up-from-sleep. Basically, if the car is woken up from sleep (e.g. when you open the door), there is a software bug that triggers the scroll wheel button action.

They promised that an upcoming software update would fix the bug, and they recommended that I reprogram the scroll wheel buttons to an unused function while I wait for the software update.

I couldn't help but laugh.

My warranty actually expired during this service appointment, and this issue was only the latest indication that Tesla barely tests its products - both software and hardware. I wasn't interested in sticking around for the next surprise, so I got rid of the car.

Can’t you change the left hand scroll wheel settings so that it does not function on the sunroof (maybe recent call or HVAC temp.)? Or even re-position that action to the right hand scroll wheel?
Yes and that's what we've had to do. But after driving the car for 5 years with the scroll wheel being my "sunroof" function, changing habits isn't easy. I've set mine to the "temperature" setting for now. When I forget and mash the scroll wheel up, I end up setting the temperature at 81 degrees and then have to back it out. Opening the sunroof using the touchscreen while driving sucks pretty bad. And so then I have to reprogram the button for sunroof, open it, then remember to set it back. Not hard and not fun while driving.

I have found that if I unlock the doors with the fob in advance of "walk up unlock" the problem does not present as frequently (if ever). That is another workaround that I've used but it's not perfect because I'm not perfect. :)

I have the same issue - replaced the scroll wheels, sunroof vents. Took it to the local service center - they replaced a switch
STEERING 1.00 CONTROL SWITCH HARNESS(1013242-00-K)
and at the same time, performed the 8GB eMMC recall. Unfortunately, the problem the sunroof was not fixed. I talked the the service tech (actually he was quite helpful) and he has escalated the problem to see if there is an answer, but was told it could take a long time to hear back. Does anyone know the solution? I'll try the workarounds listed in the previous comments, but there must be some way to actually fix this.

I have the same issue - replaced the scroll wheels, sunroof vents. Took it to the local service center - they replaced a switch
STEERING 1.00 CONTROL SWITCH HARNESS(1013242-00-K)
and at the same time, performed the 8GB eMMC recall. Unfortunately, the problem the sunroof was not fixed. I talked the the service tech (actually he was quite helpful) and he has escalated the problem to see if there is an answer, but was told it could take a long time to hear back. Does anyone know the solution? I'll try the workarounds listed in the previous comments, but there must be some way to actually fix this.
No workaround yet AFAIK. I really hoped that after my MCU2 upgrade, I would start receiving updates again and that the fix would be in one of them. As of now, nothing. Unfortunately, those of us with sunroofs are the minority priority.

This is infuriating. This is a software bug that was introduced about a year ago. Countless updates later my roof still unpredictably vents when I open the doors. Especially problematic when it is raining or I take it to the carwash. Come on Tesla figure this out and get it fixed!!!!

Reactions: djlott
This is infuriating. This is a software bug that was introduced about a year ago. Countless updates later my roof still unpredictably vents when I open the doors. Especially problematic when it is raining or I take it to the carwash. Come on Tesla figure this out and get it fixed!!!!
I was just thinking yesterday as it happened to me twice. Every time I get a new software update in the car that reads "minor bug fixes", I'm going to post that here and write "but not this one yet"... 😡

@xtian666 Just curious, this only seems to happen to those that have had their scroll wheels replaced. Is this the same situation for you too?

I was just thinking yesterday as it happened to me twice. Every time I get a new software update in the car that reads "minor bug fixes", I'm going to post that here and write "but not this one yet"... 😡

@xtian666 Just curious, this only seems to happen to those that have had their scroll wheels replaced. Is this the same situation for you too?
Yes I've had my scroll wheel replaced a couple times. The issue that preceded the sunroof venting was the voice assistant button would honk the horn and not active the voice assistance. They changed the scroll wheel and then eventually the wiring harness...didn't fix anything. One of the random minor bug fix updates did fix it, but then introduced the sunroof issue. I remain convinced this is a software issue.

Thankfully in another thread there is a workaround document that does stop the roof from venting. I change the button to a different function, temp control, and now I don’t have the sunroof issue.

Yes I've had my scroll wheel replaced a couple times. The issue that preceded the sunroof venting was the voice assistant button would honk the horn and not active the voice assistance. They changed the scroll wheel and then eventually the wiring harness...didn't fix anything. One of the random minor bug fix updates did fix it, but then introduced the sunroof issue. I remain convinced this is a software issue.

Thankfully in another thread there is a workaround document that does stop the roof from venting. I change the button to a different function, temp control, and now I don’t have the sunroof issue.
Yeah it's a work around but I use my sunroof all the time so not having it set to the button when I'm driving makes using it more difficult. But yeah I've had to resort to the same at times. Thanks for the reply.

I've been experiencing the same issue on my 2015 S ever since Tesla replaced both scroll wheels. Unlike other folks in this thread I don't find that it happens all the time, maybe once every twenty times I open a door.

I have seen similar behavior with the door handles on both front doors- in separate periods of a month each, the handles would not retract properly when putting the car into drive. I'd have to open and close the door once or twice to get it working. In each instance the problem just went away, but not after an update, so I speculated that it was reporting back an error condition that eventually auto-corrected.

I was hoping the same would apply to the sunroof issue but it hasn't so far. It certainly presents as a software issue, and I don't have any confidence it's being examined by tesla because it only applies to select older vehicles that they'd like to get off the road. I bought my S for the sunroof and third row, though, so I'll take my first-world lumps on this one.

Unlike other folks in this thread I don't find that it happens all the time, maybe once every twenty times I open a door.

It is some kind of power-on-from-sleep bug - and opening a door is a trigger for the car to wake up. So the sunroof will only open if the car was locked and had been inactive for some time (and the steering wheel scroll button is configured to control the sunroof).

This bug was the final straw for me. If they can't even get this right, there must so many other weird corner cases lurking. Mostly innocuous... but some serious.

Tesla software is garbage.

It is some kind of power-on-from-sleep bug - and opening a door is a trigger for the car to wake up. So the sunroof will only open if the car was locked and had been inactive for some time (and the steering wheel scroll button is configured to control the sunroof).

This bug was the final straw for me. If they can't even get this right, there must so many other weird corner cases lurking. Mostly innocuous... but some serious.

Tesla software is garbage.
You are 100% correct. Also, I found that if I unlock the doors with the keyfob by pressing the actual button, this condition will not happen. For me it only seems to happen when I use the "walk up unlock" feature (keys in pocket).