Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof Vents when Opening the Door

My sunroof has been venting automatically when I open the door. I haven't received an update in a long time so this started happening randomly between FW updates.
2017 Model S 75D, ver. 2021.24.28

If I walk up to the car, and the car detects the key fob and presents handles, the sunroof will vent when I open any of the car doors. This is very repeatable at home, plugged in, not plugged in, parking lot of grocery store, etc. I have to wait ~5 minutes before trying again for this to repeat. Meaning if I lock the doors, walk away and come back (within ~5 mins) the issue will not happen. But if I walk away for 5 mins (like the time it took me to write this post), the issue will happen consistently.

If I unlock the car by pushing the button on the key fob, the issue will not present.

Aside from the above, sunroof functions quite normally.

Troubleshooting: Rebooted car (scroll wheels pressed) and rebooted dash console (lower steering wheel buttons pressed) twice. I cleared cache and data on Android Tesla app (just in case). Problem persists. Prefer not to do a factory reset but I will if someone can confirm this is a valid fix.

This isn't the worst issue to have but I fear it's bug/FW related and wonder what will happen next. Will my rear hatchback start opening when I open the doors? Will the side door windows start venting?

Thank you for your thoughts.

UPDATE!
Ok so not the sunroof. Don't know why I didn't put 2 + 2 together earlier.

Last month, I had my steering wheel scroll buttons replaced by mobile repair. I've since figured out that the car is issuing a right steering wheel scroll button "press" upon waking and it gets triggered when I open the door. I had the right scroll wheel set to the sunroof so it was venting the roof when I opened the door. I tested against other settings like HVAC, screen brightness, etc. and sure enough, the sunroof stopped popping open and those other functions were getting triggered.

Weird issue but at least now I know what's happening. Contacted Tesla through the app to ask for a repair or replace at NC.

• Informative
Reactions: DavidB and KalJoMoS

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC