Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof vs Climate Control - Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone looked at the efficiency of using climate control versus opening the sunroof and creating extra drag? I was just curious. I know it depends on many factors (speed, outside temp, climate control temp), but lets look at a typical situation:

60's outside (ideal for sunroof)
Speed at 55 mph
Interior CC set at 72 on all auto (so this would result in some light heating but not a lot).

Would the additional drag made by the sunroof be more than the energy required to keep up the climate control? Has anyone looked into this?

I use climate control so much that I opted for the all glass roof on my 100D. For me it's not just climate control but also contagent control. All the outside yeck from exhaust to pollen to dust To road debris blowIng around and the NOISE that I just don't enjoy a sunroof at all.

Having the sunroof and/or windows open creates drag - and probably would have a greater impact than interior climate control. And if the outside temperature is close to your desired inside temperature, the interior climate system shouldn't have to do much work anyway.

I think someone researched this years ago and concluded windows/sunroof closed was more efficient - but near as much fun...

It actually used to be on Tesla's website included in the range calculator. You could turn on/off the AC and open or close the windows and see how it affects the range. The sun roof alone probably makes little difference. But rolling down the windows definitely causes more air drag and energy than keeping them closed and the AC running. Even in high temperatures. The AC on the Model S/X is very efficient. If you like your windows open, do so, it;s fun. If you try to conserve energy, close them and use the AC.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
I use the sunroof every day. Love it. I definitely notice the impact on range on the mornings I leave it open the whole way to work vs. using the ac.

The difference in efficiency is largely from speed. At 3mph, the sunroof is more efficient. At 90mph, the ac is more efficient.

My commute is on the freeway, but I still love having the sunroof open, efficiency be damned.