Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunrun vs Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, you should add in the Costco rebate in conjunction with Sunrun to make the math kind of work out between the two providers.

I'll post an image here of the 15%; since some people may think I'm blowing smoke on the 15%...
View attachment 665133

Also, keep in mind that Sunrun will usually do a new main service panel "for free" with their bid, while Tesla will up-charge like $4,000 for this if your home requires it. Sunrun will also do the more robust racking method while Tesla will tell you to pound sand if you don't want them to hastily slap panels on your roof. Sunrun will also use microinverters instead of large-inverters which may help you buffer against equipment failures that have a long turnaround time for warranty repair..

But Tesla will do the fancy skirts and dark-panels which looks nicer. And Tesla tends to paint the conduit runs while Sunrun leaves them as aluminum. Tesla is also not hated by PG&E, so if you go with Tesla you won't be part of the on-going war between Sunrun and the PoCo.

So it's worth making sure you have all the nickels and dimes in the pool before you outright discount one or the other as "too expensive."

Personally, if I had to do my system again, I'd go with a good local shop (admittedly it's very difficult to find these)... it's worth a bit of an over-pay to have the systems go in smoothly.

There are two additional discount from Costco Sunrun, one is the 15% equipment rewards, another is 2% executive membership rewards ( another 2% if have costco citi credit card). The two discount together will give only $1400.

Sorry I did not make it clear, I meant annual energy production estimate not cost. My annual energy production was around 10,000 kWh before placing the deposit but after placing the deposit with Tesla the annual energy production estimate was like 7,300 kWh. Not faulting Tesla, they probably just did a more realistic estimate when I got more serious. However, I think the energy production estimate in the purchase agreement is probably 10% lower than actual, I will find out in a year.
Yes, I agree the actual production may be different and the estimation in the agreement may be also changed before and after signature.

However, if you look at my above numbers, you will find the system size is a clear indication. Tesla quotation is based on a 8.16 kw system size, while Sunrun quotation is based on a 5.4 kw system size. If consider both and system and the price, Tesla is easily able to beat Sunru for at least $8000 - $9000.

I got quotation from both Sunrun and Tesla recently, the price difference is so big.
For Sunrun, 5.4kw system size (around 8300kwh annual production) costs me $19500.
For Tesla, 8.16kw system size (around 11500kwh annual production) costs me $16600.

You can see that, Tesla is $3000 cheaper but with 40% more energy generated.
Hence like I stated, "3) The prices were close to the same at that time (Tesla is probably less expensive now however)"

With the exception of solar roof which you pretty much cannot get anywhere else, Tesla is like a big box as far as solar panel goes. Supporting your local business is good but make sure your local business will be around 5 or 10 years from now, not saying you would get much support from Tesla but at least they would be around if you need to take someone to court. Been thinking over solar for years because of concern on damage to roof and always thought Petersen Dean was good and the one I would go to until they went under.

In my case, the savings was about $20k. For $20k, I don’t really care how quickly someone calls back. There are plenty of detailed threads on here complaining- but if this hasn’t already occurred to you note that you are buying “stuff,” not services. Tesla has the PWs and the Gateway 2, by a long margin the best stuff you can get if you are getting an integrated system. Even if you are not getting PWs there is probably a Sunrun board where all the Sunrun owners go to complain about them. These boards are super valuable for technical insight- especially design insight. But as far as good or bad experiences the plural of anecdote is not data. :)

In my case, the savings was about $20k. For $20k, I don’t really care how quickly someone calls back. There are plenty of detailed threads on here complaining- but if this hasn’t already occurred to you note that you are buying “stuff,” not services. Tesla has the PWs and the Gateway 2, by a long margin the best stuff you can get if you are getting an integrated system. Even if you are not getting PWs there is probably a Sunrun board where all the Sunrun owners go to complain about them. These boards are super valuable for technical insight- especially design insight. But as far as good or bad experiences the plural of anecdote is not data. :)
what the system size you ordered? what do you mean "by a long margin the best stuff you can get if you are getting an integrated system"?

what the system size you ordered? what do you mean "by a long margin the best stuff you can get if you are getting an integrated system"?
I have 16.32 with 3 PWs. What I meant was solar- only installs have comparable hardware no matter who installs it. But There really is no competition to the Tesla PW and Gateway 2. Maybe a few years from now but not now. Other battery storage systems cost more and do not perform as well. For a smaller solar only system the price differential might not be as material.

I have 16.32 with 3 PWs. What I meant was solar- only installs have comparable hardware no matter who installs it. But There really is no competition to the Tesla PW and Gateway 2. Maybe a few years from now but not now. Other battery storage systems cost more and do not perform as well. For a smaller solar only system the price differential might not be as material.
Ok. My quotation is for solar-only system. Even though there are no batteries involved, the price difference between Tesla and Sunrun are still very big. Don't know why.

I went with a big local company. Cost a few grand extra, maybe 5. But when you call you get someone.

I had numerous issues that weren't the fault of anyone. I can't imagine the disaster Tesla would have been with their abysmal customer service.
Sunrun were ridiculously expensive and also have terrible reviews.

Reactions: h2ofun
The equipment is all the ~same. The difference is in service. I don't know about Sunrun but there are a lot of 'horror' stories of people waiting on a Tesla tech for months to solve a really simple problem. You're paying $2/w for the install and the level of service appears to reflect that price.
I won't recommend Tesla at any cost. Customer service simply doesn't exist and they simply don't care. I am in the process of switching to Sunrun and unplug from Tesla for good one year after installing their system. During this time, the system was down for 3 months due to a faulty inverter. They refused to stop charging me for the service during this 3 months of equipment failure.
Not sure about Sunrun either, but at minimum there is a Costco members hotline to deal with issues when needed in contrast to Tesla that you will be completely on your own when something goes wrong.

I won't recommend Tesla at any cost. Customer service simply doesn't exist and they simply don't care. I am in the process of switching to Sunrun and unplug from Tesla for good one year after installing their system. During this time, the system was down for 3 months due to a faulty inverter. They refused to stop charging me for the service during this 3 months of equipment failure.
Not sure about Sunrun either, but at minimum there is a Costco members hotline to deal with issues when needed in contrast to Tesla that you will be completely on your own when something goes wrong.

You must have a lot of money if you can throw away that much money on a purchased solar system.

Or, maybe, you have a rented solar system, which is why they were "charging you while it was down for three months"? If thats the case, it means you are getting rid of it for the equivalent of a few hundred dollars in charges.

=========================

(moderator note: you may be upset, but please stop copy pasting your same response above and quoting separate people, in the same thread)

Reactions: h2ofun
With what I have learned over the years if I were to get another place and install solar, I will do it myself. It is about 1/3 the cost to install your own system and it is not that difficult (particularly if do a non-grid tied system). You can also get assistance from an electrician friend to assist you.

Hate to break it to you, Sunrun is not going to be any better. I have both, been waiting a month for Sunrun to return a call. I have 3 panels under producing, 1 not working at all. I called over a month ago, had to sit on hold for 30 minutes to get someone who told me they would call me back to get more info, set appointment etc. I was told at that time, expect a call in 7-10 days. I agree Tesla is bad, but I actually think they are doing a better job then Sunrun. Tesla communication is horrible, but things do move forward, at a slow pace. So far with Sunrun, after sale support has been non existent. This is my second time having issues with my Sunrun system, first time around went a little better, but still took about 3 months to get a warranty item fixed. If you want better service, find a small local company.

Sunrun might have panels that have better efficiencies (hint I don't care about wasting the sun) or a warranty that goes beyond 10 years (hint will Sunrun be around in 11 years?)
Actually you want to look at efficiencies. Roof mounted solar has a limited area. The total power available is limited by the efficiency and the number of panels (depending on sunlight). If you live in a non-desert climate, clouds will have a huge impact, and having more watts for many folks is really important.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Hate to break it to you, Sunrun is not going to be any better. I have both, been waiting a month for Sunrun to return a call. I have 3 panels under producing, 1 not working at all. I called over a month ago, had to sit on hold for 30 minutes to get someone who told me they would call me back to get more info, set appointment etc. I was told at that time, expect a call in 7-10 days. I agree Tesla is bad, but I actually think they are doing a better job then Sunrun. Tesla communication is horrible, but things do move forward, at a slow pace. So far with Sunrun, after sale support has been non existent. This is my second time having issues with my Sunrun system, first time around went a little better, but still took about 3 months to get a warranty item fixed. If you want better service, find a small local company.
Make sure you get a way to contact your project manager and/or sales rep directly. I have both of their numbers. If I have any issues I text or call and they either respond/answer right away or within a day. I have Sunrun. This was another thing that sold me on Sunrun over Tesla for me personally. Doesn't mean others will have the same experience however.

Make sure you get a way to contact your project manager and/or sales rep directly. I have both of their numbers. If I have any issues I text or call and they either respond/answer right away or within a day. I have Sunrun. This was another thing that sold me on Sunrun over Tesla for me personally. Doesn't mean others will have the same experience however.
My system is 10 years old, and was originally installed by REC, who Sunrun was merging with at the time. So I highly doubt those people would still be available.