Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunrun vs Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually you want to look at efficiencies. Roof mounted solar has a limited area. The total power available is limited by the efficiency and the number of panels (depending on sunlight). If you live in a non-desert climate, clouds will have a huge impact, and having more watts for many folks is really important.
Also limited by the inverter output too, particularly if you use microinverters. If you have panels that operate at a higher wattage than the microinverters your output from each panel will be limited to what the inverter can produce. So make sure if you go that route to get microinverters that meet the production you want. Enphase has a wide range of these inverters. Not all IQ7's are the same.

With what I have learned over the years if I were to get another place and install solar, I will do it myself. It is about 1/3 the cost to install your own system and it is not that difficult (particularly if do a non-grid tied system). You can also get assistance from an electrician friend to assist you.
I did that in 2012. :)
Local solar willing to help with permits and some consulting.

Yes, I just cannot believe how many threads have folks complaining about tesla. Well, they are getting what they paid for, and KNEW before they went forward. SO glad I am going with local folks. They may not be perfect but at least you can get a hold of them.
Lol. What if you local installer goes out of business in 10-15 years? I rather go with a reputable company (Tesla) than some mom and pop local solar.

Lol. What if you local installer goes out of business in 10-15 years? I rather go with a reputable company (Tesla) than some mom and pop local solar.
I would much rather have a company who I can depend upon for 10-15 years than one (Tesla)who do not respond to any warranty issues now!!! Still waiting for a repair on a newly installed PV system, 3 months and counting.

The answer to that is depend on the manufacturer...Whether that's Tesla, SolarEdge or Enphase or LG or whatever, I assume Tesla still needs parts from someone else if it's not their part.

Tesla is listed as a non-compliant solar provider whose interconnection applications have not complied with certain state laws or regulatory agency rules and regulations in CA from what Vines posted anymore:

(I corrected my wording of the above. Thanks). Just maybe means more delays with PTO or connecting to the grid (we see a lot of those issues here).

I had a random issue myself a while back and called my installer, they told me to wait 24 hours or something. I called Enphase and the guy on the phone literally fixed my problem while I was on the phone (not some dispatcher, they actually fix stuff).

Wanted to add Tesla solar isn't even always cheaper sometimes. I posted quotes/examples in my case and it was maybe $0.05 cheaper? My PTO was 1 week.

Last edited:
I would much rather have a company who I can depend upon for 10-15 years than one (Tesla)who do not respond to any warranty issues now!!! Still waiting for a repair on a newly installed PV system, 3 months and counting.

Best of luck to you on your issue, and Tesla decided to pull out of a ton of markets for whatever reasons. Also, if they have to sub-contract since they have no boots on the ground because installers don't want to compete with Tesla installs directly, it maybe hard to get "help".

I went with a local small company that was very well regarded (Tesla doesn't install here). A year after installation they told me they were closing the door and that I may or may not get help from the electrician owner if an issue arose. Should have gone with a larger regional company but that one came for a site visit and said they would send a proposal but never did.

Bottom line, it's hit-or-miss no matter what.

The answer to that is depend on the manufacturer...Whether that's Tesla, SolarEdge or Enphase or LG or whatever, I assume Tesla still needs parts from someone else if it's not their part.

Tesla isn't even listed as approved contractor in CA from what Vines posted anymore:

I had an issue myself a while back and called my installer, they told me to wait 24 hours or something. I called Enphase and the guy on the phone literally fixed my problem while I was on the phone (not some dispatcher, they actually fix stuff).

Wanted to add Tesla solar isn't even always cheaper sometimes. I posted quotes/examples in my case and it was maybe $0.05 cheaper? My PTO was 1 week.

That list from the CPUC seems to be based on issues with interconnection agreements. Not necessarily the California License on which they operate as a building/solar contractor. Sunpower, Semper, and other big names are on there. And as far as I can tell they continue to interconnect and operate as a licensed contractor even though they're on the CPUC's public shaming list.

Reactions: sunwarriors
I am waiting on Tesla to fix a very minor problem with my system but it is cutting my energy production in half. Tesla says they don't have a crew available to fix it but they have crews out doing new installs. Two people I referred have been installed while I wait for service on my existing system. Tesla should not be selling a product they can't service - feels
like fraud to me!

Bottom line - Tesla warranty is a joke!

Reactions: orbit2020
I am waiting on Tesla to fix a very minor problem with my system but it is cutting my energy production in half. Tesla says they don't have a crew available to fix it but they have crews out doing new installs. Two people I referred have been installed while I wait for service on my existing system. Tesla should not be selling a product they can't service - feels
like fraud to me!

Bottom line - Tesla warranty is a joke!

I copy/paste the following when people bring up Tesla slow rolling service and otherwise being a PITA to deal with. Oddly enough, nobody ever seems to actually submit a report with the CSLB or their AG. So Tesla has no incentive to change and will just keep doing what they want to in order to maximize their profits.

Installers in California have a legal-requirement to provide reasonable warranty service and to have service centers available. They are supposed to complete warranty repair within 30 days; with provisions for unforeseen circumstances.

If Tesla causes you to suffer damage by extending repair/service beyond the 30 days, you could attempt to recover damages... although that could require you to speak with a lawyer.

If Tesla's turnaround time extends past 30 days, You can also submit a claim against Tesla's California license (the License number will be on your contract). The supporting material you can attach to your claim with the license board is that Tesla is willfully violating 1793.2 by slow-rolling warranty commitments. Since Tesla continues to install new systems, it would be difficult for them to say that unforeseen circumstances (such as a supply chain issue or COVID) are preventing them from honoring their warranty in a timely manner.

Tesla Energy customers who experience lengthy service delays could also file reports with their local attorney general office. If this is Tesla's standard policy to force a 4-week wait to triage then another few weeks to repair, it would violate California Civil Code Section 1793.2.

I wonder if the mods can just sticky this link haha.

Law section
"service and repair shall be commenced within a reasonable time by the manufacturer or its representative in this state. Unless the buyer agrees in writing to the contrary, the goods shall be serviced or repaired so as to conform to the applicable warranties within 30 days."

Mandatory disclaimer... I am not a lawyer and I have an infatuation with bollards and blade disconnects.

Boy, that is a long list.

Wanted to add I talked to the CEO of one of the companies on this list specifically asking about SGIP (their sales escalated to him) and who told me no way I can get SGIP (he was clearly wrong).

I'd be certainly more careful, do more research and more watchful if I used anyone on this list since I hear it takes some work to actually be put on this list of shame.