Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunshade.. a needed accessory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my new to me model X on Friday (assuming Tesla finally decides to release it from the SC, its been in UT since last Wednesday), Ive been ordering all the 'needed' accessaries (SSD, floor mats, etc). Does the roof sun shade fall into needed, does anyone actually use it? Im located in Utah so we certainly get sun and heat. If yes anyone find that Tesla threw one in with a used purchase and I will find it in the car when I pick up?

Picking up my new to me model X...Does the roof sun shade fall into needed, does anyone actually use it?...

IMO, yes. In March I purchased a 2021 Model X (white, LR, 5-seater, non-refresh). It was a new (next to no mileage) inventory car from Hawaii. It came with all the accessories I came to expect (e.g., tow hitch kit, mobile connector, front license plate holder, etc.) including the front sunshade (fits from the rear-view mirror back). I also immediately purchased the optional rear lift-gate and FWD Window sun-screens, and I'm glad I did. After installing these I noticed an immediate drop in accumulated interior heat inside the car when parked in the (already rising) Sacramento-area sunshine. Yes, I too would enjoy the panoramic view of the front windshield--maybe in the winter. But I will be using the sunshade at least spring-summer-fall. Though the windows come heavily tinted, the Tesla shades really help reduce interior heat. And I believe there are aftermarket alternatives that might be less expensive than the Tesla products.

If you want to use the Tesla windshield shade and your used car does not come with one, check out Craig's List or eBay for your area or out-of-state. I see them for sale once in a while. But hopefully you can talk Tesla into outfitting yours with the front shade.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I prefer the view without it, but I find it a necessity in the summer, on trips headed into the sun for hours. If it is 95 F outside, the a/c in my 2017 model X will struggle to keep up with the full force of the sun glaring in. The mesh really helps keep the temperature manageable.

Hi @Msd801 ,

Some migraine sufferers are sensitive to bright light...
In Utah you would have much sunshine.

If you can comfortably drive a convertible with the top down,
you do not need them.
Your passengers also might be light sensitive...

Without these sunshades, I find it very bright and uncomfortable
in Michigan and in Florida...

Good luck and enjoy the car,

Shawn

Same, came with our used 2017 MX.

IMO, yes. In March I purchased a 2021 Model X (white, LR, 5-seater, non-refresh). It was a new (next to no mileage) inventory car from Hawaii. It came with all the accessories I came to expect (e.g., tow hitch kit, mobile connector, front license plate holder, etc.) including the front sunshade (fits from the rear-view mirror back). I also immediately purchased the optional rear lift-gate and FWD Window sun-screens, and I'm glad I did. After installing these I noticed an immediate drop in accumulated interior heat inside the car when parked in the (already rising) Sacramento-area sunshine. Yes, I too would enjoy the panoramic view of the front windshield--maybe in the winter. But I will be using the sunshade at least spring-summer-fall. Though the windows come heavily tinted, the Tesla shades really help reduce interior heat. And I believe there are aftermarket alternatives that might be less expensive than the Tesla products.

If you want to use the Tesla windshield shade and your used car does not come with one, check out Craig's List or eBay for your area or out-of-state. I see them for sale once in a while. But hopefully you can talk Tesla into outfitting yours with the front shade.

Are the FWD window screens on the Tesla site? I haven't seen this yet... Would like a set like you mentioned.

It’s one of the first accessories I purchased for my X when I got the car last May. Love the view from that big windshield but the sun overhead can get pretty intense in the summer. Especially for a fair-skinned guy like me. Maybe wait until you get your car and drive around a few days in the early afternoon sun. Maybe you’ll be one of those who can live without it. As you can see by the previous replies, some can, some cannot.

We purchased our X in June of 2018 - and have used it for 3 Texas summers.

We only use the sunshade over the driver and passenger during long drives - otherwise the sun coming through the roof really isn't a problem.

The glass over the middle row seats is darker - and we haven't had any complaints from people using that row.

For extended parking, we haven't found a need to put anything over the front windshield. Despite what another poster stated, we haven't had any issues with the air conditioning in either our 2012 S, 2017 S or 2018 X - all have been able to provide adequate air conditioning in the Texas summer sun and heat.

Of course, it helps to have the vehicle configured for overheat protection, which keeps the vehicle from ever getting too hot inside.

And, if we park for several hours in the sun, we'll usually use the app to turn the air conditioning on a few minutes before we get there - and by the time we get to the vehicle, it's already very comfortable inside.

So - we haven't found any need to purchase additional sunshades. And the supplied sunshade over the passenger and driver usually isn't needed.

Reactions: Msd801
My 2019 Raven MX came with one. It is still in the shrinkwrap. Our X has 29k miles, drives mostly on East Coast, between our homes in Virginia and Florida, so plenty of summer sun. No issue but some may be sensitive. I prefer the open roof feel and use the visors to block direct sun when it is there.