Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunshade for back passenger window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a sunshade for the back passenger window? I already have our windows tinted but the sun still hits my toddler pretty strong when he's in the car seat. I've tried some mesh ones that stick on with a suction but none that I've tried really fits. Also the suction inevitable fails. Thanks in advance!

Have you looked at Tesla — Model S Rear Liftgate Sunshade yet? I don't have one myself, but the posts at Rear Liftgate Sunshade - Model S seem favorable.
The rear liftgate sunshade is great, almost a necessity in California. It does help reduce temperature in the back, and as a bonus, it reduces headlight glare at night. Definitely recommended.

But the OP's question was not about the rear liftgate window, it was about the back passenger (side) window and preventing sun from hitting a toddler in a car seat. I don't have any good suggestions there, other than to suggest tinting, which was already tried. If you have the pano roof, maybe you can get a couple of plastic coat hooks and hang a blanket from them?

Reactions: mblakele
I used these. I put the large screen type over the front pano along with the little ones between the shade and the glass to give a little more blockage. They have the suction cups but it also fits snug in the cracks. You will see what i mean. Very cheap compared to the tesla version. Got them at auto zone.
20160813_162221.jpg

Bought the rear window sunshade from Tesla in the beginning of the summer. WE have a dog that travels in the back and it was getting too hot. The sunshade is easy to pop in, it cuts down the heat in the car dramatically so I recommend it. You might also want to search posts on cooling in the third row seats. Some time ago found a post that in addition to the rear sun shade recommended manual settings which I use that also keep the back of the car cooler. What I do is to manually set air to pull in outside air, fan on high and crack open the rear windows.

I'm not sure if it's ceramic tint. It's the one that lots of people on TMC uses and recommends. Don't remember what that was. It keeps out heat decently well but it doesn't keep the glare of the sun from hitting his eyes/face thus the need for something in addition to the tint.

We also don't have pano roof so aren't really able to hang anything from the roof.

Thanks for the suggestion but even if heatshield could make a back window cover in future, it doesn't look safe to drive with it on.

Do you guys just have tint on your rear windows? Is that sufficient to block to glare? If so, what type of tint do you have?