Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunshade for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use a Lotus Elise "shower cap" as a sunshade, it also serves to protect the fabric roof (or in my case a Visum clear top) as well as prevent any roof/window seal leaks during rainy periods. So it is multi-purpose. I always keep it in the trunk, takes up very little room, much less than the semi-rigid sunshade on Amazon. See Shower/Sun-cap - Elise car cover to protect the interior of your Lotus - Sector 111

I certainly will concede that it does not block as much heat as the Amazon sunshade, so for those in hot climates the sunshade will be superior, but it is just so bulky and the Roadster trunk is so tiny that I don't want to bother with it. The "shower cap" product offers other benefits as well. The sunshade will not block the heat that is absorbed and transmitted through the black Roadster soft top. If you have a Roadster hardtop than that is not an issue.

I use the shower cap as well. On my lotus, the seat leather eventually cracked from UV exposure (never really put the top on except at the track). With the top off, it keeps the seats cool and is loose enough to allow ventilation. I could put the softtop on, but using the shower cap reduces the wear and tear on the tension cables in that top (they like to break), and the shower cap is slightly faster.

Ecarfan, do you attach the show cap to the back of the roll bar (with the included velcro pads)? I was worried about scratching the carbon fiber, so I just tuck the cap behind the seats, but I'm curious as to whether scratching is something real to worry about.

Ecarfan, do you attach the show cap to the back of the roll bar (with the included velcro pads)? I was worried about scratching the carbon fiber, so I just tuck the cap behind the seats, but I'm curious as to whether scratching is something real to worry about.
Yes I use the heavy duty Velcro pieces that came with the cover (they are a grade above standard Velcro) to attach the rear edge of the shower cap to the underside of the roll bar. It works well, hasn't become detached even in high winds, and I don't see any way that the carbon fiber roll bar cover piece could be scratched. No scratches on mine after many uses of the shower cap over more than a year and a half.

I really like the UV protection the shower cap provides. I only wish that the shape of the shower cap was designed such that it came farther down over the side windows. However, I have had my side windows tinted and supposedly the tint blocks a majority of the UV, as well as a lot of the IR transmission.

This is slightly off-topic, but, I think, it's well worth reminding people, especially new Roadster owners, that there is an aftermarket mesh top made that can replace the soft top, and is quite nice on hot, sunny days. I've had one for several years, and still make use of it often during the summer months. But, I don't know if it's still being manufactured.

Shade Mesh Screen Top

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was looking at the Shower Cap

I decided the Sector 111 didn't cover enough of the sides, 2-4 weeks, $150 didn't seem like my first choice

Tailer Mesh looked cool - but as much work as the regular soft top on/off

I have a very short commute and just want something I can put over the car to protect from leaves, rain, etc when I park. I am usually running late or at a park and want to protect the car from scattered showers, bird poop, etc.

I searched Ebay and found this that I hope might work. The add was in German and shipps from Germany.

They are now sold out but I bet they have more. I'll let you know in a month if it works as good as the picture/my hopes.

Cover/Shower Cap/Cover Lotus Elise MK1 Blue | eBay

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses