TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sunshade for Windshield & Skylight

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by K-MTG, Oct 24, 2015.

1. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Hi,

I am a reservation holder for the Model X and this is my first post on TMC, though I have been following/reading other posts for a while.

Unfortunately my family is very sensitive and avoids sunlight if possible. We tend to hang towels from the window when driving in the evening to prevent sunlight from blinding us and shining on our face.

I am aware that on the S the panoramic roof does a great job in preventing heat from entering the cabin but does it block the sunlight itself from entering the cabin? For instance, if I place my hand under the panoramic roof on the S, when the sun is directly over the it, will I see the light on my hand or will it be greatly reduced and will the light be unnoticeable?

If a shade can be developed to extend from the top of the panoramic windshield to the rearview mirror and match the interior of the Model X, that would be a perfect solution. As far as the skylights on the falcon wing doors, shades for those will likely be much easier to develop.

What are your thoughts? Do any of you Model S owners, have a family member that is sensitive to sunlight? If so, what do they think of the panoramic roof?

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

While I don't think anyone in my family is particularly photosensitive, I've not had any problems with excess light through the Pano roof. In past cars with sunroofs I often have kept the inner cover closed because the light through the glass was too bright. The tint on the pano roof is much darker and blocks a good part of the light.

3. K-MTG

How is it inside when sunlight is directly above the panoramic roof? Does light shine on your head? The sunroof on my current cars are always closed. Is the panoramic roof like limo tinting (5%)?

4. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

My recollection is that the Model S panoramic roof blocks 98% of visible light and 81% of infrared.

5. K-MTG

Did any of the 6 founders comment or post pictures regarding the windshield or skylights?

- - - Updated - - -

Can any comparisons be made with the panoramic roof? Is it darker compared to limo tint?

6. Rob Fairman

Rob Fairman Member

There's no reason you couldn't have an additional window tint applied if you find the factory tint insufficient.

7. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

They've developed a two-part sunshade for the Model S. They should be able to come up the something for the Model X.

The current shade doesn't match the interior its perforated dark fabric.

sunshades_2x_1024x1024.jpg

Larry

8. trialcritic

trialcritic Member

I wish Tesla will do a custom photosync as an option before delivering the car.

9. K-MTG

Are the rear windows factory tinted? It appears that they are from the photos of the X.

10. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

I was wondering the same about the rear windows. I don't think I have seen any pictures yet of non tinted rear windows.

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Hence why we need electrochromatic glass. This would solve everyone's concerns and even be dynamic (some days you want more tint than others).

12. K-MTG

Yea, that would have been perfect! Has anyone did aftermarket electrochroamatic tinting?

13. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

the asian force is strong with this family.

:D

14. K-MTG

Lol, not Asian but can't blame them with the weather we are having.

15. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

You should just go sit in a Model S and see if the tinting on the sunroof is enough for you. I'm sure the X will have similar levels of tint. If its not, just get some aftermarket applied.

16. 1208

1208 Active Member

#16 1208, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

17. K-MTG

Model X Comes with a Sunshade

Elon's reply to my tweet says it all:
    Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 6.31.54 PM.png

18. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Yes I remember someone who was at the launch saying that they saw two sun shades in the frunk or in the back though they didn't say how they worked. I wonder if one is for the top and one for the front.

19. K-MTG

I thought those were floor mats. Forgot to ask him about skylights on the falcon wing door.

20. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

I'll ask the mods to merge this with your existing thread on the same topic.