Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunshade for Windshield & Skylight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the thing with the sun shade. Given the other issues they're dealing with on the X, I am guessing it is not anywhere close to a priority.

If it were, they'd be out by now. There's only 3,000+/- Xs on the road. It should take a manufacturer no time at all to churn out 3,000+ sun shades once they have the green light. Clearly, they don't have it.

Hi,

this is my first post to this forum, though I have reading quite a lot. Having watched the latest video by Bjorn Nyland, it seems that too much sun is quite an issue in this car. I would prefer a "jalousie" solution here which can be adjusted separately by driver and passenger. See attached sketch...

Regards,
Matthias
a7gsyzx3_png.htm

I don't think I mentioned this before but I believe a sunshade would be helpful

I'm a dermatologist and wouldn't recommend the perforated sunshade as adequate protection from the residual sun that passes through the window glass. When I get my S the whole car including pano roof will get 2 layer tint (photosync 30% and then a darker 3M layer), as well as the shades. Had similar in prior Land Rover and we barely noticed the roof wasn't solid (stock sunshade was perforated). I will also be looking into having local upholstery shop sewing UV blocking fabric into the Tesla sunshade frames to make it blackout as well.

I don't know the specific photosensitivity you are dealing with but there are contributions from UV, IR and even visible light to some conditions. It's not as simple as "98% UV blocked" or whatever is quoted on factory glass.

I know the glass blocks a ton of UV and infrared but feel that lack of a rolling/sliding blackout shade option is a miss on both the S and the X. I almost didn't get the pano roof but feel that it's a big part of the car and want XM etc... but some aftermarket work will be done right away!

I'm a dermatologist and wouldn't recommend the perforated sunshade as adequate protection from the residual sun that passes through the window glass. When I get my S the whole car including pano roof will get 2 layer tint (photosync 30% and then a darker 3M layer), as well as the shades. Had similar in prior Land Rover and we barely noticed the roof wasn't solid (stock sunshade was perforated). I will also be looking into having local upholstery shop sewing UV blocking fabric into the Tesla sunshade frames to make it blackout as well.

I don't know the specific photosensitivity you are dealing with but there are contributions from UV, IR and even visible light to some conditions. It's not as simple as "98% UV blocked" or whatever is quoted on factory glass.

I know the glass blocks a ton of UV and infrared but feel that lack of a rolling/sliding blackout shade option is a miss on both the S and the X. I almost didn't get the pano roof but feel that it's a big part of the car and want XM etc... but some aftermarket work will be done right away!

Very interesting especially coming from a dermatologist. I believe the S already has a tint on it with uv blocking. I decided to tint all around (including front windshield with clear) but didn't do the pano roof. I occasionally feel some heat on the top of my head but figured maybe my scalp can get a tiny bit more tan ;).If it is not adequate from uv heat and sun damage, I will upgrade and cover the top too. Don't know if this helps but I posted a pic of stock S tint through my iPhone.

Reminds me of those sunglasses that aren't UV protected, actually worse for you as your pupils get dilated and allows more light in destroying more rods and cones inside eyes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 54
Very interesting especially coming from a dermatologist. I believe the S already has a tint on it with uv blocking. I decided to tint all around (including front windshield with clear) but didn't do the pano roof. I occasionally feel some heat on the top of my head but figured maybe my scalp can get a tiny bit more tan ;).If it is not adequate from uv heat and sun damage, I will upgrade and cover the top too. Don't know if this helps but I posted a pic of stock S tint through my iPhone.

Reminds me of those sunglasses that aren't UV protected, actually worse for you as your pupils get dilated and allows more light in destroying more rods and cones inside eyes.

To my knowledge Tesla hasn't released what % blockage there is for each part of the UV (UVA, UVB, UVC) spectrum. From what's been discussed it's better than stock glass, but the "98%" figure could be the peak UVB blockage, an average under the curve, or a lot of things. They should be commended for taking this step, but it's not enough for me to sit under it driving every day. A layer (even clear) of photosync or crystalline would make me a little more comfy at a minimum, although personally like K-MTG I'm going for a little more.

A layer (even clear) of photosync or crystalline would make me a little more comfy at a minimum, although personally like K-MTG I'm going for a little more.
I really think you and @K-MTG and others of similar mind (of which I am sure there are plenty) should just commission custom shades. That way you're in control of everything and will get exactly what you want. In my worldview, waiting on someone else to deliver something that may or may not fit your needs is an exercise in disappointment. Grab the reigns and hit up some makers - or even better, do it yourself if you're capable.

Reactions: xkwizit