TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sunshade for windshield

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kinged, Feb 18, 2013.

1. kinged

kinged Member

I took delivery this weekend. I found I need a sunshade. Does anyone know a good sunshade for this car?

thanks in advance.

2. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Glad you posted that, I contacted HeatSheild several months ago but the shield wasn't available for the S at that time.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I was hoping that you found a shade for the Pano roof. Darn.

5. Elshout

Elshout Member

Don't think a sun shade in needed for the pano roof. I am surprised at how little heat is transmitted through the pano roof even in very bright California sunlight.

6. aaronw

aaronw Member

Thanks for the post. I just ordered one and will have to pick it up later this week, hopefully with my new car :)

7. kinged

kinged Member

Thanks. I just ordered one from a third party on Amazon, it's 1 dollar cheaper, shipping is $6.00 cheaper and no tax for California. I hope it's the same one.

8. rsquared99

rsquared99 Member

Has anyone gotten one of these for the Roadster? My concern is how is it stored (folded in quarters?, rolled up?) and does it fit in the trunk? Thanks.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The Heatshield is a roll-up. It's main problem is that it doesn't have any stiffening ribs so after a season it's about a foot away from the window. The workaround is to carry a couple of empty boxes to keep the Heatshield pressed against the window. That extends the life to about four years.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I've had my Heatshield for my Prius for about 8 or 9 years and still use it. But you're right that it should have stiffening ribs. I created my own by cutting up a bicycle flag pole and slidding the pieces between the layers of the HeatSheild. Two was plenty and it does the job. I fold my HeatShield flat (so it wedges b/w the passenger seat and center console). No need for boxes or to get it out of a trunk to put it in the window when I park.

11. aaronw

aaronw Member

I'll try and bring that up when I pick it up at their Sunnyvale location.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mine have actually had holes in them. However, I use mine every time I get out of the car because it's not garaged and it's in Texas. So that's probably more like 8-9 years in nicer climates or for garaged cars.

13. BryanW

BryanW R#664, Model S#1526

Has anyone had experience with the Heatshield for the Model S yet? Pictures?

Is this the one to get? Other suggestions or recommendations for a different windshield shade?

14. aaronw

aaronw Member

I have one. I picked it up from their HQ. They wanted to see my car, but sadly I picked it up before I got my model S. It fits fairly well. I also have a Heatshield for my Prius that I have had for a number of years. It has held up well.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

16. hans

hans P631

17. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

I bought one and it fits well. The problem is that it relies on the visors for support...and we all know how short the visors are. It works well for now as I don't have to use it much.

18. hans

hans P631

After trying a few of my existing shades it was clear that the wimpy little visors are going to be a problem for any kind of shield that uses them for support. I'm just not aware of any sun shields that don't depend on the visors it some extent.

19. gimmee2

gimmee2 Member

I bought one of the Heatshields from Amazon and am regretting the purchase. As others have mentioned, it rolls up rather than folds, but the direction it rolls up is awkward and it's so large that you can't flip it over to roll it up tight. Plus, once it heats up it sags pretty severely. I'm not sure if the fold up ones would be any less cumbersome but if I had it to do over again I'd get one of those.

20. hans

hans P631

The Covercraft 100UVS comes in two folding pieces. We shall see if that makes it easier to handle.