Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunshade Melting Fastrak Transponder Glue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only 3 days into using my new sunshade in the parking lot at work, my Fastrak transponder has detached from the velcro strips, most likely from the heat captured between the glass and sunshade. Does anybody have any suggestions for glue to try to reaffix the velcro that can continually withstand the heat when using a sunshade?

I don't have a suggestion for glue, but for me (in Australia) I'm able to double side tape our 'etags' to the under side of the centre console arm rest and have it work 99% of the time with our toll gates.

Here's a video showing the exact spot:

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Only 3 days into using my new sunshade in the parking lot at work, my Fastrak transponder has detached from the velcro strips, most likely from the heat captured between the glass and sunshade. Does anybody have any suggestions for glue to try to reaffix the velcro that can continually withstand the heat when using a sunshade?
I don't have an answer to your question, but it triggered another thought. Why are you even still using a transponder? I don't think it is needed any more since all of the bridges in the bay area use cameras now to look at the license plates (front and back). I haven't used my transponder down there in the last couple of years. I notice in my Fastrak account that it deducts the amount from my account in the same way it did when I was using the transponder.
Perhaps I am missing something here as I only get down that way about once a month.

You can always get the sticker transponder in lieu of that big block of a thing that is out there. Much better and i've had more trouble getting it off myself than for the sun to melt it. If you're really into the blocky transponder, then get some 3M brand.. i'm sure amazon has it.

I don't have an answer to your question, but it triggered another thought. Why are you even still using a transponder? I don't think it is needed any more since all of the bridges in the bay area use cameras now to look at the license plates (front and back). I haven't used my transponder down there in the last couple of years. I notice in my Fastrak account that it deducts the amount from my account in the same way it did when I was using the transponder.
Perhaps I am missing something here as I only get down that way about once a month.
The Fastrak CAV transponder still has an occupancy switch which is needed to indicate passengers in the car while you're driving in express lanes on all the freeways. You still get a CAV discount if it's just yourself in the express lane, but the discount increases if you have 2 or 3 passengers. If I didn't have a transponder but had 2 other people in the car, it would charge me in the express lane, when I should be able to ride in the lane for free.

Back to the glue debacle: Today's weather was weird where it was partially rainy and slightly muggy/humid. It wasn't the hottest day ever, and it was partly cloudy so I didn't even bother to use the sunshade. When I came out to my car today, the transponder fell off the velcro so the glue is pretty much shot at this point.

I found an old bottle of superglue in the closet so let's see how round 1 goes...

I don't know about other states, but in PA your toll charges are less (as much as 60% less) with an EZ-Pass transponder than with the photo-plate system.

Reactions: 3geekfamily
I bought one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TQQ1319/ , and I put my EZ Pass in the "sunglass holder" on the back of the screen.
The EZ Pass just sits in the holder, and it reads fine while going through tolls. No adhesive needed. The only thing I needed to do was add 1 small piece of foam to keep the EZ pass from rattling/moving inside of the holder.

ezpass-tesla-small.jpg