TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Suparcharger availability during evacuation?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by twonius, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. twonius

twonius Member

Any FL owners had issues charging up? I've been seeing a lot about gas lines in FL which made me wonder how the supercharger network was holding up, especially after the long lines after the eclipse last month.

Stay safe people.

2. kort677

kort677 Banned

The network should have no problems as long as the power isn't knocked out. There isn't any sort of correlation between fuel issues and power issues.
    Last year during Matthew the st Augustine spc was out for awhile other than that I had zero issues. This time around there are more tesla on the roads and the scope of the evacuation area is much larger, so it's a we shall see thing

3. HookBill

HookBill Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I think the question was related to lines and demand.

5. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

sure would be nice if we could see how many supercharger stalls were in use. Maybe display it on the nav map

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

• Informative x 1
  7. twonius

twonius Member

yeah i tried that last night but my car will only pull up the supercharger statuses in SoCal. I guess they do this to keep unneeded network traffic down. Otherwise I'd totally be checking the Nebbenes availability.

• Like x 1
  8. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

Hopefully it's nothing like the long lines at the superchargers during the mass migration of folks going to/from the eclipse.

9. twonius

twonius Member

So far it seems like the network is holding up better than the gas stations. I had an ICE rental for the eclipse and even then i tanked in the middle of the night before so I wouldn't have to deal with lines. Not sure if there were any though.

Florida gas stations without gas:
    • West Palm Beach: 42%
    • Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 39%
    • Fort Myers/Naples: 31%
    • Gainesville: 44%
    • Tampa/St Pete: 33%

10. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

it does on the nav map when you touch the map icon of the supercharger location.

• Informative x 1
  11. NOLAgrl

NOLAgrl New Member

No problems with charging! I think we've been given a gift from Elon today, my 60 battery charged up to 240 this morning????? Very considerate....THANK YOU Elon!!!!

• Love x 4
    • Like x 3
  12. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Wow, that didn't even occur to me... Tesla could temporarily "gift" people with locked packs with extra capacity during emergencies.

13. Chop110

Chop110 Member

That is awesome!! Now get to safety!

14. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Tesla’s Supercharger network is fairly extensive in Florida and most owners should be able to get by even with a Model S 60 (the shortest range option), but sometimes that 30 more miles of range can make a big difference. Most Supercharger stations in Florida are still online:

[​IMG]

The station in the Florida Keys is offline and one in Myers is currently listed as “reduced service”:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Otherwise, the other Superchargers are reportedly online and accessible on the way north. Stay safe out there everyone.

• Helpful x 1
  16. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

No surprise that the Marathon one is down. Are inbound roads even open to the public any more? It's mandatory evacuation. Sadly that supercharger may end up well below the surge :( It's elevated, but only a little:

[​IMG]

I wonder why Fort Myers is at reduced service?

17. Economite

Economite Member

That's a bit misleading. The Supercharger network lacks redundancy. If 33% of gas stations in Tapa/St. Pete are down, then 67% are up. On the other hand, in most places, if Tesla looses its supercharger site, then there is good/quick alternative.

My guess is that the reason why the Supercharger network isn't having trouble dealing with demand is that the vast majority of households with Teslas chose to evacuate using their other (ICE) car, flew out, or are sheltering in place. Even with all locations in service, there's no way the Supercharger network could handle it if all the Teslas in Florida decided to leave Florida at one time.

• Disagree x 1
  18. kort677

kort677 Banned

The flaw in your assessment is that here in fla the number of teslas on the road is far less than what you see in your part of the world, the amount of SpCs is adequate for this event.
    As long as there is power the SpC units should remain operational.
    Ft Myers has been problematic for awhile

19. Economite

Economite Member

Normally, the cost to the driver of a busy/down Supercharger is a long wait at the supercharger, or a detour to a slow charger.

When evacuating before a hurricane, the cost goes way up, as you run the risk of being stranded (or delayed) in some area that is itself in the route of the hurricane.

Why would anyone risk that?

[Not to mention the fact that, without redundancy, there is a chance that, on the drive back, a supercharger you need will have been damaged by the storm or rendered inaccessible. By contrast, it's pretty much a given that some gas stations will still be around as long as there is power in an area. Plus, you can carry extra gas.]

• Disagree x 1
  20. Economite

Economite Member

Obviously, in this post, I meant "there is no good/quick alternative." Must learn to proofread.