Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as you are months away from expiration, it really doesn't matter whether something is ITM or OTM. All that matters is for a given change in SP, how much will the option price change as a %.

ITM calls move much less than OTM calls for the same % movement of SP.

As an example, J19 250 calls moved by 155% between 10/19 when the SP was $260 and yesterday. But 400 calls moved by 436%. The SP moved by 33%. So, C250 had a 5x leverage and C400 had > 10x leverage.

Also, the farther away the expiration, lower the movement. For the same dates, J21 calls moved 69% and 87%, as an example. I've calculated these by looking at the final ask price, since final sale prices are not reliable because of sporadic trading.

Ofcourse, the % movements will also get reflected when the price goes down. C400 will go much further down than C250. In other words, it is just the age old question of risk vs rewards.

BTW, it is not necessary that further out calls always have better ROI. J20C500 moved by 160% vs 117% by J20C700. This will change if the SP starts getting close to 700. It seems for a given SP range, there are particular OTM calls that have the best ROI.

Anyway, this is my novice observation.

It does matter ITM or OTM. IF the trade does not go your way, OTM=sucker bet.
Novice? you said it.
risk v reward? Exactly, hence ITM for me
Leverage kills when it is wrong
I do not buy lottery tickets.

Comparing back to 2013, instead of a ~300s to 600s move, I'd view this as more like a 300s to 1800s sized move (at least, that's what I think is lined up). The way I see 2013, a period arrived where the market collectively realized that TSLA was badly valued. At that point, the market went searching for a new / collective valuation that was disconnected from the previous trading history and valuation.

That new valuation was found in the 130 to 180 trading range (or using today's starting point, 1300 to 1800).
Exactly how I view it. There was almost 3 years sideways consolidation $tsla from 2010 to 2013 then a 6X move from $30 to $194 within exactly 4 quarters from October 2012 to September 2013 and actually a 7.76X move from low of $25.52 to $194.50 from August 2012 low to September 2013 high.
This was of course followed by a steep correction from $194.50 to $116.10 over next 2 months bottoming in November 2013
40% correction enough to wipe out super leveraged players and smack down calls super hard
Then off this baby went hard to the races up 2.25X over next 3 months into February 2014
Move a decimal to the right and you get prices comparable to current situation
Doesn’t mean it’s gonna work out exactly the same but it’s the approximate time frames that I’m talking about
Dude! I could if I wanted to quit my full time job and sit and plot all my $tsla moves for the next 10 years right from the beach
Doesn’t mean I’ll be right, in fact I’ll be wrong 90% of time

Last edited:
This seems like a good super bull idea/ concept:

Various people have talked about TSLA being added to the S&P 500 (including me), and we have different mental models of why / when that will happen.

Interesting idea for me - the DJIA doesn't have an automotive presence (GM or Ford). Automotive manufacturing seems like a big deal - I wonder how big TSLA will be before the DJIA folks decide they want to add it?

When I first had this thought (minutes ago), my next thought was "you could swap TSLA in for GE". Except then I did a few seconds of research and discovered GE has already been swapped out.

Still - give it a year or 3 of increasing evidence of how big TSLA is and how much US manufacturing the company is doing, and it seems like a no-brainer addition to the DJIA when some other company stumbles.

Also worth noting - I figure going into the DJIA is more of a status thing than it is a direct share acquisition thing (where being added to the S&P 500 is more of a share acquisition thing).

Still - that'd be pretty sweet.

Reactions: neroden and pz1975
Without 007 making any appearances, we need to get our swagger back, now that there are almost zero uncertainties on Tesla achieving greatness. I will make a start:

April 2019 following Q1 earnings, Model Y event yada yada
SP = $700

June 2019 following Q2 S&P inclusion
SP = $1000

Is anyone brave enough to outbid me? Stupid enough gets you no points - that is what I'm here for.

Talking about stupid, I have to change my J19 300s for something a little longer term so I would appreciate your consensus on the $700 figure before pulling the trigger mid November (Jun 19 or J20, 300s?).
thank you for thinking outside the box and opening up the super bull forum. I got a feeling this will become the single most popular thread on TMC especially as the SP climbs steadily and will provide an invaluable contrarian indicator from timing standpoint.
It seems to me that $700 within a year is a really safe bet with real potential for appreciation to $1600 or so by 2021 January
That puts $tsla market cap anywhere from minimum of $120 B to $270 B which again could prove to be a conservative guess
I got a few $700 January 2020 calls plus some others at $500 to $600 range in same timeframe but I decided to make a relatively conservative bet on $400 January 2021 calls which is my major position. My rationale is that while I may not make a killing like those of you who bet big on $700 J 2020 calls, I’m still looking at a tax efficient 4.5X to 15X ROI over the next 26 months without totally losing my shirt if I’m wrong

149A69EC-5185-4848-A712-B0589BE74C7E.png
Of course prediction for $tsla future stock price appreciation in the current pre-euphoria stage is very easy and not at all an intellectually challenging exercise. Just look at the cup shaped base over base pattern on long term quarterly chart going back last 18 to 20 quarters
That’s approximately 54 to 60 months! $tsla quarterly chart is begging for a bollinger breakout. It takes no genius to figure out that the next stock price move will be of major significance and likely of big enough magnitude to trigger a 2X to 5X move in stock price over the next several quarters. Place your bets accordingly. Of course, not an advice

thank you for thinking outside the box and opening up the super bull forum. I got a feeling this will become the single most popular thread on TMC especially as the SP climbs steadily and will provide an invaluable contrarian indicator from timing standpoint.

Some people don't realize there is a shift in the dynamic impacting TSLA's stock price.
It's a matter of time (less than a year from now) the price jumps past the boiling point shorts can stand. When it happens, the conservative longs will realize the missed opportunity and will indeed look for more "aggressive" approach.

I got a few $700 January 2020 calls plus some others at $500 to $600 range in same timeframe but I decided to make a relatively conservative bet on $400 January 2021 calls which is my major position. My rationale is that while I may not make a killing like those of you who bet big on $700 J 2020 calls, I’m still looking at a tax efficient 4.5X to 15X ROI over the next 26 months without totally losing my shirt if I’m wrong

What's your reasoning for going for 400 2021 leaps instead of 400 2020 leaps? Priority on lower theta over higher Delta/Gamma?

Reactions: SpaceCash
Some people don't realize there is a shift in the dynamic impacting TSLA's stock price.
It's a matter of time (less than a year from now) the price jumps past the boiling point shorts can stand. When it happens, the conservative longs will realize the missed opportunity and will indeed look for more "aggressive" approach.

What's your reasoning for going for 400 2021 leaps instead of 400 2020 leaps? Priority on lower theta over higher Delta/Gamma?
Trying to give myself a bigger rope in case I’m wrong
Also tax efficiency

If Tesla sells between 80% to 120% more cars per year, the revenue will rise about 60% to 100% per year (assuming cheaper cars will be introduced). So with a constant market cap/revenue multiple that would mean the stock price rises about 60% to 100% per year. Right? Did I overlook something or is it actually as good as it sounds?

If Tesla sells between 80% to 120% more cars per year, the revenue will rise about 60% to 100% per year (assuming cheaper cars will be introduced). So with a constant market cap/revenue multiple that would mean the stock price rises about 60% to 100% per year. Right? Did I overlook something or is it actually as good as it sounds?
It's better. If Tesla makes more cars via efficiency improvements as opposed to increased assembly lines. Then the GM per car will go up as well as the number of cars. Put together, the percentage net profit increase could be higher than the percentage car increase.

In other words, after GM covers fixed costs for the quarter, each additional car's GM is net profit.
Say 4k cars with 10k GM per, that covers 40 million in fixed costs. Add 10% more cars, that is 4 million net profit. Add 10% again, another 4 million. So going from 4.4k to 4.8 k was a 100% profit increase.

Apparently, @ValueAnalyst sold their house to buy more TSLA...
ValueAnalyst on Twitter
This is actually not a bad move at all especially for those who have no other options to have an adequate long exposure
I once upon a time took out a home equity loan and put all of it in a stock that more than doubled over the next 3 months
Of course I don’t endorse it and definitely not an advice

Reactions: SpaceCash and mongo
What the f. This isn’t super bull, it’s lunatic gambling bull in china store.

Don’t sell your home to buy Tesla, please.

Just buy options.

Edit: and if you think abt selling your home to exercise those options.... don’t!! Roll your options.
Absolutely, this is what I wrote in the main thread a couple of weeks ago:
Can I suggest new definitions (is there anything more important going on today?):
If your mean estimate is the following by June 2019:
<$400 - blah
$400 - $600 - Bull
$600 - $1000 - Superbull
$1000+ - cuckoo and I love you for it (much needed to ward off the evil shorts)
Remember we are talking your MEAN AVERAGE estimate. It is easy to be conservative - what do you really think it is gonna be. If you lost your house because you estimated too low, would that make you think differently?

I am a super bull in this context. Just because I think that the SP will most likely be at these levels doesn't mean that there is not a ~10% chance of TSLA dropping to $250 again. 10% is too high IMO to talk about selling houses. I have been burnt by my overly optimistic estimates as has 007 and others. You need to stay in the game to keep playing at the high stakes table.

Absolutely, this is what I wrote in the main thread a couple of weeks ago:
Can I suggest new definitions (is there anything more important going on today?):
If your mean estimate is the following by June 2019:
<$400 - blah
$400 - $600 - Bull
$600 - $1000 - Superbull
$1000+ - cuckoo and I love you for it (much needed to ward off the evil shorts)
Remember we are talking your MEAN AVERAGE estimate. It is easy to be conservative - what do you really think it is gonna be. If you lost your house because you estimated too low, would that make you think differently?

I am a super bull in this context. Just because I think that the SP will most likely be at these levels doesn't mean that there is not a ~10% chance of TSLA dropping to $250 again. 10% is too high IMO to talk about selling houses. I have been burnt by my overly optimistic estimates as has 007 and others. You need to stay in the game to keep playing at the high stakes table.
By your definition, I'm a superbull with cuckoo inclinations/dreams

• Funny
Reactions: EVMeister