TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Super Charged Anxiety

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by KArnold, May 21, 2017.

1. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

Even then, it's a much better experience than in a car without adaptive cruise control and/or autopilot.

2. Black/Black MS

This happened to me just yesterday, and was the only time I'd even had a supercharger fail on me.

Parked and plugged in, verified charging was started, started walking to Starbucks. half way there checked my phone and saw the car was not charging. walked back and re-plugged in (figuring someone may have interrupted my charge), then started walking back. happens again. moved to another stall. happened again. finally I stay and watch it, and see the port turn red after a minute.

I called a random Tesla service center (I have no idea if there's an 800 number we can call for this), and after reboots etc. I still had no luck. finally he tells me to try a new stall one more time and it worked.

there was construction going on at the site where they are adding a bunch on new supercharger stalls, so looking back on it my guess is that there periodic power interruptions or surges that would cause charging to fail. a good reminder to keep an eye on your charge rate so you don't walk back to an empty battery.

• Like x 1
  3. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Great Scott!

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Range anxiety affects all new EV drivers. It passes quickly when you realize what your car is capable of. I've driven my car down to 2 rated miles before with no worries. The key is to know how far you are from your destination and you'll be able to adjust accordingly.

5. KArnold

KArnold Member

Wow! Tough crowd. You may be right. May our paths never cross! I am humbled at your perfection!

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

My local service center has 6 supercharger ports. Have also stopped at one in the San Jose area that had about 10 ports and of course the factory has a larger # of superchargers. I've also used a supercharger in front of a service center somewhere in the Los Angeles area.
    I think they're rolling out quite a few at service centers.

7. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

You'll find the "ignore" function essential to enjoying TMC! :D Most members are really helpful and positive. A few just can't seem to help letting us all know how dumb / tricked / conned / blind we are to all things Tesla. :rolleyes:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. KArnold

KArnold Member

Actually, this was neither. It was a Tesla showroom, not a Service Center. The parking garage there has several SC slots, but apparently they are just for the showroom and not for visitors. Well, that's my assumption anyway because they are not on the map. Maybe they let customers use them as well.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Are you sure about your numbers and calculations? (I suspect you're using 85 numbers rather than 90 numbers.)

10. owen.shift

owen.shift Member

I wish. Those numbers are from this forum's very own @wk057, here (more here); and yes, my "calculations" were a bit rough. The 90D has 9.2 kWh more usable energy than the 75D. Yay!

At least the 100D more than makes up for this: it actually has more capacity than advertised (102.4 kWh), of which 98.6* kWh are usable. That's 20% more energy usable than the 90D.

* not perfectly sure about the exact values. It might have been 102.6 and 98.4; I can't seem to find it online anymore.

11. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

The only way to know for sure how much capacity a lithium ion battery has is to drain it until the voltage drops below nominal and track what you're getting out of it the whole time.

Everything else, including those numbers from the BMS, is estimated. I wouldn't get too invested in the "90D actually has 82kwh" story. What matters is actual miles driven.

12. owen.shift

owen.shift Member

I concur! Still, I take 82 kWh net capacity on a '90' pack as a fact. @wk057 actually took apart a battery pack, down to the cell level, and then multiplied back up to arrive at total capacity. I just can't find it anymore :(

But I found this instead! 102.4 kWh total capacity / 98.4 kWh usable on a '100' pack.

• Like x 1
  13. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

You can't count cells and come up with the capacity anymore than you can for one cell.

Until you've charged and drained the cell, you don't know how much energy it was storing. The same cell can store different energy on different occasions. Charging is estimated, draining is estimated. It's a chemical reaction.

I guess my point is, Tesla's capacity ratings are estimates and it's pointless to count cells and try to call BS. The only thing one could do is drive the car to voltage cut off and track the current used. Even then, that's only valid for that one drive under those exact conditions.

14. owen.shift

owen.shift Member

Gah! I don't really care about the _absolute_ capacity of any of the packs. What I care about is that the 100D has 20% more capacity than the 90D, rather than just 11%. Because that's enough reason for me to upgrade.

• Disagree x 1
  15. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

There's no way for you to know if that's true is my point. Anyway I would love a 100 instead of a 90, but roughly 45 miles more range isn't game changing for our usage. For our usage in our area, we don't eliminate a charge stop until range is over 330 (for the X).

16. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

It's most likely closer to 16% more.

The 90D has 7104 cells and the 100D has 8256 cells. 8256/7104 - 1 = 16.2% With ~102.4 kWh for the 100D (98.4 kWh available) and a 4 kWh buffer, the 90D should have around 88.1 kWh total and 84.1 kWh available. This is assuming they use the exact same cells.

No pack is identical, so it's hard to say exactly how much capacity a new pack will have. You need to measure a bunch of different packs and then average the results for a more precise answer.

• Like x 1