Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charger Adapter for US cars in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friends, after the last software update last week via WiFi I really need your help. I have been in Greece for a week, hoping the update would finish while I was gone, the car was plugged into the charger, 220V, 8Amp. Yesterday I came back and found out that the screen is black. A note behind the steering wheel: call the service station. they told me: The update went wrong. I need to do a reset: press both little scoll wheels on the steering wheel at once and the software will reset, pressing the brake at the same time will reset to factory settings. I did all that: Nothing happened, except a notice to unlock the car, or unplug it. The screen stayed black, and the stick shift does not work. It is stuck in Park position. The doors and the dome lights work, charge port is blue. German road side assistence told me to contact the nearest service station, which is in Hamburg, 120km North, on monday. I might have to get my car there physically, by a towing company on my expense, although I did not request a software update. Tesla forced it onto my car! I could borrow a car trailer from a friend, but how to get a Tesla with the brakes in park onto it. It cannot get lifted either cause its in my car port, under a roof. HELP HELP HELP. Thtere is no connection to the car via the Tesla app either. Anyone any idea?

Is your car a US spec or euro spec? I would try another hard reset. also, maybe they can push the update to your car over the air again? do you have 3G/4G data? or do you only tethering or wifi for internet connection?

when I 1st read your message I thought the car was in Greece and you had to tow it all the way to Hamburg. I'm just saying.. it could be worse...

....the car was plugged into the charger, 220V, 8Amp....

...The doors and the dome lights work, charge port is blue. ...
Blue => Car is communicating with the charger but not charging.

Are you using a UMC? Is the UMC showing any lights? Having you tried switching power to the UMC OFF and ON? Having you tried resetting the UMC? If you press the button on the charge connector, does the car release it?

So apparently an adapter has been made to allow a US Tesla to charge from an EU super charger.

0a040a876dad10064e8f5ec04de353eb07778678c2c04a813d474e87b4c15111.jpg

Does anyone know how to make one? Pin out diagrams? Or if they are commercially available, how much and where to buy?

Interestingly, it is apparently also possible to do a full conversion from US to EU spec, giving the car full 3-phase charging capability. There are a few such Teslas already driving around Lithuania with this mod. But it cost a few K, and I'm somewhat hoping this adapter could be a better idea :).

Does anybody know who made this adapter? I want to buy one....

Reactions: Galve2000
Not bad.. it charges at (better than current) ChAdeMo speeds.. and nearly as fast as the "urban" SCers Tesla has been deploying lately.
too bad you can't really SEE the adapter in this video. also.. it is certainly not the adapter that Tesla is using in the 1st post of this thread, which is primarily what I am interested in.

I think this is a real murky proposition... Buy a car from us and we will tell you a little secret...
I would like to see a picture of the adapter to see how they made it, and if it is safe to use....
As far as I can tell from the video, they used the US Tesla to J1772 adapter which is not made for supercharging but for AC charging...
Downright sketchy, likely gives Tesla opportunity to void any warranty claims if they find out.

Tesla will do it for you for an extortionate fee. They don't want you to convert your 'out of region' cars. They normally suggest you send your car back to region, sell it, and buy another one.

But the US and EU cars are near identical, so changing the parts around is not difficult at all. But you need to get hold of the parts, which is the tricky part. Tesla won't sell them to you, so you normally need to obtain them from a salvage car.

The main thing you need is the charge port itself.

Despite my car being from the US, it actually has a 3-phase charger inside already. Not all US cars do, so you need to check for this. But if you have a 3-phase charger already, then you only really need the port. Otherwise, you need to buy one.

The type-2 charge port is quite a bit bigger than a standard US Tesla connector. So the hole in the body panel will be the wrong shape/size. You will either need to cut a bigger hole, or get an EU spec rear quarter panel. Cutting a hole is cheaper and probably easier, but you obviously cannot change your mind.

Once the charge port is connected, you can flash the car with EU software, and it will be just like a full EU spec car, and will work on superchargers. But of course you also having access to Type 2 44kw AC public chargers, and can charge from an EU 3-phase outlet.
Tesla will do it for you for an extortionate fee. They don't want you to convert your 'out of region' cars. They normally suggest you send your car back to region, sell it, and buy another one.

But the US and EU cars are near identical, so changing the parts around is not difficult at all. But you need to get hold of the parts, which is the tricky part. Tesla won't sell them to you, so you normally need to obtain them from a salvage car.

The main thing you need is the charge port itself.

Despite my car being from the US, it actually has a 3-phase charger inside already. Not all US cars do, so you need to check for this. But if you have a 3-phase charger already, then you only really need the port. Otherwise, you need to buy one.

The type-2 charge port is quite a bit bigger than a standard US Tesla connector. So the hole in the body panel will be the wrong shape/size. You will either need to cut a bigger hole, or get an EU spec rear quarter panel. Cutting a hole is cheaper and probably easier, but you obviously cannot change your mind.

Once the charge port is connected, you can flash the car with EU software, and it will be just like a full EU spec car, and will work on superchargers. But of course you also having access to Type 2 44kw AC public chargers, and can charge from an EU 3-phase outlet.

Hi
I have a 2014 tesla model s p85 US model in Europe Hungary too . Can you write which is the correct Manufacturer Part Number of the 3 phase charger to use the supercharger in Europe? Like 1021154-02-j