TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Super Charger Charging Stations Full

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SpottedDolphin, Aug 22, 2018.

1. SpottedDolphin

It’s is just me or my area in SoCal that SuperCharging locations are always full? I waited over 30 mins twice in last few days.

I blame the model 3 owners because that’s what’s taking half the slots.

Tesla needs to build more locations stat.

2. Adm

Adm Active Member

Which ones specifically and at what time?

• Helpful x 1
  3. SpottedDolphin

Buena Park, Fountain Valley, Santa Ana, San Juan Cap. Morning, noon, and night. Doesn’t make a difference. :(

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

If Model 3 owners are taking half the slots, then Model S and X owners are taking the other half. Why not blame them?

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Blame Model 3 Owners? Hey, they have to pay for their charging. So you don't see them using Superchargers "just because"

• Like x 5
  6. azred

azred Active Member

Don’t blame Model 3 owners. Blame Elon Musk. He wont’t mind as he is used to criticism unlike fanboy Model 3 owners.

• Disagree x 1
  7. SpottedDolphin

We were there first.... LOL!

Funny enough they two locations in Downey like 3 miles apart have space.

I just don't know why they would put two there in addition it's doesn't seem to be a high EV area.

o_O

8. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Where are you traveling to / from? I try to avoid the urban SCs and use the rural ones as much as possible.

• Like x 1
  9. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

It is helpful that the main screen shows which Superchargers are full and which have empty slots.

Sometimes easy to just skip the busy ones and grab the next one within range, on your trip.

Seems the most congested areas also have the most congested Superchargers. Few congested Superchargers on the open road, except between two congested cities.

Tesla is being agressive in constantly rolling out additonal charging options in congested zones.

• Like x 2
  10. SpottedDolphin

All around Orange County... it’s bad here.

11. David99

David99 Active Member

Almost 50% of all Tesla's sold in the USA are going to California. There is just a massive amount of Tesla's here and they all want to charge. The fact that most get charging for free makes it worse.

12. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

“Free” is questionable.

Though I understand some people want to recoup back their investment $6 bucks at a time.

13. David99

David99 Active Member

It is free compared charging at home. That's what matters.

14. forkee

forkee Member

I gather it's to attract more to the area? I go to the stonewood mall one on firestone. it's never full. It's also great having the next closest one nearby as backup. The 30 minutes you wasted waiting at the other ones, you could have topped off at the Downey ones (as long as it was along your route).

All your other locations are super high traffic. I never bother with the BP one anymore, feel like that one is abused the most.