Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super charger etiquette question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The less things a locked car allows passers by access to, the better. There's any number of undesirable things to be done to the charge port or its door. Locked should mean locked. No access to anything unless you can unlock it or are willing to break it.

upload_2017-3-18_21-56-42.png
I Leave this card on the dash in full visibility from outside. My cell number is on the blank space.

These supercharger discussions always seems to loop around in circles, but the facts remains:

1) Yes, it is possible to encounter (or more usually on the internet, construct) some scenario where leaving your car connected at a Supercharger overnight seems like an acceptable, convenient, and even smart choice.

2) Regardless of reasons from pt 1, other people may think you are an asshole, and idle fees may apply. It most definitely is not proper charging etiquette.

3) Every scenario encountered/constructed in pt 1 may be inflicted by you on others if you leave your car plugged in overnight.

Personally I would charge to the required level when I arrive since it will be faster, and then move the car and go to sleep. I may even take a powernap while charging. If I was with my family I would drop them off at the hotel first, and then go back to charge.

Leaving a note with contact information is a perfect example of good charging etiquette, especially when at slower chargers. Wish more people would do that! :)

Anyone who is sleep deprived or otherwise unfit to drive and still gets behind the wheel is taking a huge risk, but seriously... the driver is at fault here and not the charger or charging situation.

I think I already know the answer, but I'm a new owner so... I'm heading from NC to FL and will be stopping near the Santee SC at around 11 tonight. If the SC is mostly empty, is it acceptable to leave the car there overnight? How will Tesla view that from an idle fee perspective?
No!

And thank you for caring enough to ask the question!

I mean, I guess if you are in the middle of bum f--k USA and there is no chance in heck that somebody will need the slot, I guess it's OK. But I have been "Tesla'd" before when desperate for a charge and it just plain sucks. It's even more insulting than being ICE'd because I would at least expect a Tesla owner to have the sensitivity to the issue.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I like that card! Where did you get it? Reminds me of the parking cards in Europe. Dealers should include this when you buy an EV.

I use a version of this card (minus the Evannex plug) and use the courtesy notices way more than I expected to.

That's interesting. I was visiting Rock City in Chattanooga, TN last weekend and the Blink charger was ICE'd. I contacted Blink about it when I got home that night, and they suggested I use a notice card like that to let ICE drivers know they had blocked me from charging.

I ended up having enough charge to get home without charging (got home with about 10%), but it would have been nice to have a little more buffer in case we wanted to take a detour on the way home as we often do.