Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charger in South Jersey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have on in my backyard, but why not just stop in Allentown? You should be able to get to Egg Harbor from there without difficulty. Or if you're already farther east and coming down 29 just stop in Hamilton. Heck unless you're in a 60 driving too fast on a real cold day you should be able to get all the way to egg harbor from Tannersville in one shot.

I'd much prefer they flesh out the rest of the map (I-80 anyone?)

Also based on their coming soon map its looking like there will be one in Langhorne in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have on in my backyard, but why not just stop in Allentown? You should be able to get to Egg Harbor from there without difficulty. Or if you're already farther east and coming down 29 just stop in Hamilton. Heck unless you're in a 60 driving too fast on a real cold day you should be able to get all the way to egg harbor from Tannersville in one shot.

I'd much prefer they flesh out the rest of the map (I-80 anyone?)

Also based on their coming soon map its looking like there will be one in Langhorne in the near future.
The rest of I80 is coming. Bloomsburg is now live. I live near Tannersville just off of 80. My problem is if I drive to South Jersey I can't drive around there and still have enough charge to get back to Stroudsburg. Egg Harbor is great for the shore but I need somewhere to charge in the Cherry Hill area. Allentown does me no good as I don't take 476 to go to Jersey. Langhorne would help a lot. Haven't heard about that one and right now every link to tesla.com goes to the Powerwall Event so have to look later or tomorrow. Hopefully soon for Langhorne, but South Jersey and Philly are a SuperCharger desert.

Yes, I think a SC in King of Prussia / Fort Washington or Cherry Hill would help some of us in our travels. And yes we need a few more SC to flesh out the country. However, I would like to hear that Tesla, in a few years will allow us to upgrade our battery pack to the new 100 or by then. 120 ’s

A Model “S” or “X” with 400 mile range will be a great improvement and should that come about the SC network will not be as critical.

Reactions: madodel
Ok @gavine I'll buy the Mt Laurel location, but I still think that a bigger battery would be better then more SC.
You can upgrade to P100L now if you have a P90. Have not heard of anyone willing to spend the $20K to do it yet. I'm fine with my P90D, I just want to be able to drive to South Jersey, drive around a bit and get home. A SuperCharger somewhere in South Jersey would make that a reality and wouldn't cost me $30K.

Sounds like you need a destination charger, not a supercharger.

Its hardly a desert, there are 5 superchargers within 50 miles, in all the different directions.
There is nothing useful unless you are going east to the shore or up to North Jersey or south down to Delaware. Where is there one going west or North West like I have to? If there were available Tesla destination chargers at say Ruby Tuesday or other free for Tesla owner use that might help, but there should be at least one Super Charger in South Jersey. My issue will be fine with the adding one North of Philly (as suggested in Langhorne). Hopefully that is a real plan. I see no Tesla Destination Chargers in South Jersey or Philly except for a couple on the outer fringes of Philly (City Ave and Chestnuthill) and a few down the shore. Philly and South Jersey are a charging desert.

How do you go from the Poconos to SJ?

The two main routes I see are 476 that takes you right by Allentown, or 76 to 95 which goes right by Hamilton Marketplace. Any other route further east puts you on the NJTP and those two chargers.

It does sound like you want a destination charger for convenience.

That said, my I visit my parents frequently in Cherry Hill (I grew up there), and sure would like a SC there, but again, that would be used (for me) as a quick destination charger. As it is, I use th NJTP chargers on my way to/from Cherry Hill (and before they existed, I used Hamilton Marketplace).

There is nothing useful unless you are going east to the shore or up to North Jersey or south down to Delaware. Where is there one going west or North West like I have to? If there were available Tesla destination chargers at say Ruby Tuesday or other free for Tesla owner use that might help, but there should be at least one Super Charger in South Jersey. My issue will be fine with the adding one North of Philly (as suggested in Langhorne). Hopefully that is a real plan. I see no Tesla Destination Chargers in South Jersey or Philly except for a couple on the outer fringes of Philly (City Ave and Chestnuthill) and a few down the shore. Philly and South Jersey are a charging desert.
There are quite a number of Chademo and a lot of Level 2 chargers in the area you are interested in.

PlugShare

How do you go from the Poconos to SJ?

The two main routes I see are 476 that takes you right by Allentown, or 76 to 95 which goes right by Hamilton Marketplace. Any other route further east puts you on the NJTP and those two chargers.

It does sound like you want a destination charger for convenience.

That said, my I visit my parents frequently in Cherry Hill (I grew up there), and sure would like a SC there, but again, that would be used (for me) as a quick destination charger. As it is, I use th NJTP chargers on my way to/from Cherry Hill (and before they existed, I used Hamilton Marketplace).
For me 476 means going far west to then go east. 78 to 95 would be the same in the opposite direction except worse because the traffic is horrible. I go down 611 to 413 and over the Burlington Bristol bridge, because my mother's house is near there but I have other relatives in other areas of South Jersey that I can't just stop by because then I wouldn't be able to get home. It all takes 2+ hours no matter how I go, but my way is less time, a lot less miles at slower speed (so less W/mi) and a nicer drive along the Delaware. I'd go through Jersey but the few times I did traffic was hell and it took forever and that was before I had my X. I can get there and back, I just can't do anything while I'm there. A destination charger probably wouldn't help much because I'd have to sit at a charger for 2-3 hours to get enough miles to make up for driving to one plus what I need to get home. And it just makes a long day even longer unless it happened to be where I needed to be. Trips there are already a waste of a day as it is. I don't go to stay there, just for a day to do whatever it is I have to do. With a Supercharger in South Jersey I can get enough miles to do what I need to in 30 minutes and make it home without range anxiety. There are 5 Superchargers in North Jersey. They don't need any more. They need one in South Jersey or north of Philly, but actually both.

Now that we have the SC in Egg Harbor (NJ Turnpike and Parkway) south Jersey is open for travel. It does mean that you have to stop on the way to say Cap May and on the back at Egg Harbor. Tesla has the 100K battery, in three or four years I think we will see a 125K.
The most important thing here is a range of 400 miles, once we see that all the problems of the past will quickly be forgotten.

For me 476 means going far west to then go east. 78 to 95 would be the same in the opposite direction except worse because the traffic is horrible. I go down 611 to 413 and over the Burlington Bristol bridge

You're going a very unique way, can't expect there to be superchargers on every state highway.

Just install a charger at your moms house, even if your only there for a few hours you could easily 100+miles.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
You're going a very unique way, can't expect there to be superchargers on every state highway.

Just install a charger at your moms house, even if your only there for a few hours you could easily 100+miles.
I don't expect that, but I expect Tesla to fill in gaps where there are large numbers of potential Tesla drivers driving thru and no other options. A charger at my mother's house is not an option. She doesn't live there any more. Long story.

Could you stop at a Chademo for a meal? There's one at the Crowne Plaza in Cherry Hill. Those charge pretty fast, and if you charge during a meal you'll get a lot of range without feeling like you're waiting.

I'm not saying South Jersey doesn't need a Supercharger....I agree we do, but in the meantime, I think Chademo is the way to go.

Could you stop at a Chademo for a meal? There's one at the Crowne Plaza in Cherry Hill. Those charge pretty fast, and if you charge during a meal you'll get a lot of range without feeling like you're waiting.

I'm not saying South Jersey doesn't need a Supercharger....I agree we do, but in the meantime, I think Chademo is the way to go.
That is an option I will have to try. I have a CHAdeMO adapter I have never used. Looked the Crowne Plaza up and it is under repair. Also found one in a Walmart parking lot near my mother's house, but comments mention it was not working in the past but is working now. Have people found these public chargers to be usually reliable? I will try this the next time I am down there when I don't really need it just so I see how it works. I just don't want to make plans with people then find out I can't follow through because a charger is unavailable. And looking at Plugshare there aren't a lot of High Power options in this area. I know this happens with Tesla sites as well, and nothing is guaranteed, but so far Tesla Superchargers and destination chargers have always worked for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Non Tesla chargers have been out of service in the past. Just would not bank on them working (showing up with only 25 mile of range)
you could end up not being able to make it to another charger of any type.

Just remember how bad traveling up or down I95 was when the Newark SC had a problem. At this point I only use the SC network and destination chargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
I'd sure like to see an SC in Cherry Hill. I frequently visit the area, making sure I fully charge in Newark DE as I arrive. But over a couple days of running around the Cherry Hill / Burlington / Merchantville area, I have to really watch my battery level to get back to Newark on the way out of the area after a long weekend. The place I stay (a friend's house) only has 110V/15A service (I plug into his yard light overnight) available, so that's not a whole lot of help. I usually have little time to sit at an L2 charger. I suppose I'll have to invest in a Chademo...