Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super charger occupied?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so this might not be new news, but it was to me..

I drove to Artarmon to fill up with electrons today, only to find all supercharger stalls occupied. In a first, they were all occupied by customer cars - no hire cars!! I waited 10 minutes and then drove home unfulfilled, wishing there was a way to check whether there was a vacancy before I set off.

Well, there is.

On the Nav screen, if you set the destination to the supercharger site, then press the map pin, it will tell you how many stalls (sounds like a urinal) and how many are free.

Reactions: diesel
Yeah, been a few months since this feature came out.
I've been caught out by bloody ICE cars or even worse unplugged Teslas using all the spots.
The map shows 4 stalls free and when you get there there's a Nissan frigging Pathfinder in 1A

I went to Chadstone Shopping Centre the other day and they have 4 Tesla spots with destination chargers. All four spots were taken by Teslas and none of them were charging. They were using them for the convenience of a close spot and not as a charger. GRRRRR.

Tesla should use the car GPS to detect when cars are parked in supercharger stalls and not plugged in. Then charge idle fees (or double idle fees!) to the owner. :)

GSP

I drove to Artarmon to fill up with electrons today, only to find all supercharger stalls occupied. In a first, they were all occupied by customer cars - no hire cars!! I waited 10 minutes and then drove home unfulfilled, wishing there was a way to check whether there was a vacancy before I set off.

Well, there is.

On the Nav screen, if you set the destination to the supercharger site, then press the map pin, it will tell you how many stalls (sounds like a urinal) and how many are free.

At least in the US, if you hit the lightning bolt on the Nav, in addition to the list of Superchargers in range it'll put a little graphic on the pin for each one on the map showing the current occupancy for about twice your range (still subject to the caveats above about ICEing, poor parking jobs, and Teslas parked but unplugged.)

Well, there is.

Since you were able to go home without Supercharging, I guess it wasn't needed anyway.

Yesterday was pretty busy, it was full when I got there at 2040, but with 5 stations someone is bound to be less than 10 minutes away from their goal. Jump out and meet a fellow owner! (or in the case of hire cars, a driver.) I will always move if someone pulls up and I'm within 10% of where I need to be, others are probably just as considerate.

I am hanging my head in shame that I was the last to find out about how to tell if the super chargers were occupied :mad:

Since you were able to go home without Supercharging, I guess it wasn't needed anyway.

Yes, wasn't essential. I live close and it was opportunistic..

Yesterday was pretty busy, it was full when I got there at 2040, but with 5 stations someone is bound to be less than 10 minutes away from their goal. Jump out and meet a fellow owner! (or in the case of hire cars, a driver.) I will always move if someone pulls up and I'm within 10% of where I need to be, others are probably just as considerate.

I have always found everyone quite sociable. More so on a Saturday night!

Is there a remote way to check the occupancy of a super charger, besides the nav screen inside the car? How am I supposed to know if I need to hurry back when I get the "charging completed" message?
One of our fellow owners found a way to scrape the data and post it online, but Tesla shut that down fairly quickly. The only way to view it is on the nav screen.

Is there a remote way to check the occupancy of a super charger, besides the nav screen inside the car? How am I supposed to know if I need to hurry back when I get the "charging completed" message?
If it's more than half occupied you'll get a "Station is busy, fines may apply" message when charging is complete.
It won't tell you if it's totally full, or just mostly full, but either way the same response would be required so probably good enough.

Reactions: baillies

Tesla doesn't want the information widely available to other companies, for obvious competitive reasons.

I'm hoping that they'll make it available in their phone app for owners soon, though there's been no suggestion of that I'm aware of.

(I'm also hoping the phone app gets other Nav related improvements, like the ability to pass destinations/routes to the car and provide battery level at destination for the current route or a route established on the phone.)

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Ok, so it it just me..? The indicator to show how many stalls are free has disappeared from the nav screen. Pressing the supercharger icon brings up its details, whether it has wifi, coffee etc, but no indication of how busy the station is. Did I miss the memo?

As of tonight, my nav screen shows occupancy info. I'm on s/w version 17.24.28 and have a software update available notification. Maybe taking that update is not a good move.

IMG_0091.JPG