TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Super chargers worth visiting

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Fellsteruk, May 19, 2018.

1. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

hey

Been thinking, do we have and nice/cool super chargers like the ones in the US here in the UK that’s worth visiting.

Yeah I know how sad this questions is...

2. sidmini

sidmini Banned

I have heard darts farm is pretty nice and lots of nice food and restaurant. Bluewater and Westfield if you want to shop a bit whilst charging. Otherwise most are near hotels or areas with amenities which is nice

3. DJP31

DJP31 Member

Tebay is terrific. A great farm shop and cakes to die for. An ideal base to fill up before heading into the Lake District.

4. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Some to avoid too, perhaps?

Generally I am now avoiding sites with few stalls - just-in-case busy. More chance of getting an unpaired stall at a larger site, let alone being blocked because it is full.

Time from turn-off main road, to return back onto it, can be a consideration too.

Also the ability to get access to motorway services from a (restricted) access road, such as Woodall. Last time I was at Newport Pagnell (Southbound only) the barrier was down (I was travelling South anyway)

5. zap fizzle

zap fizzle Member

Don't miss the tumbleweeds and litter at Heartshead Moor...

6. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Good: Thetford it at a lovely pub/inn with great food.

Bad: Winchester has 2 stalls and almost always seems to have a queue.

7. Beady3647

Beady3647 Member

I visit Hopwood (M42) regularly. Good selection of food etc at the services, but overpriced as usual. 16 stalls and the most I've seen in use is 9. You also tend to get quite a bit of interest to the car from non Tesla owners asking where the engine is etc :rolleyes:

Also Charnock Richard. A bit awkward to find when you first go and once again rarely more than 4 of the 8 stalls in use. Services are basic, but it's a five+ minute walk to the service area (and can be a bit hairy as you have to cross a muddy area and the slip road) and by the time you've used the WC etc and returned to the SC your close to ready to leave anyway.

8. Terry_B58

Terry_B58 Member

+1 for Tebay.

Great farm shop and cafe.

9. sidmini

sidmini Banned

oh also if you are at the Maidstone supercharger which is connected to a Hilton there is a lovely pub a few minutes walk away.