Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super charges on cross country trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I have read various times that repeated super charges are bad for the battery. True?
2. I am planning on driving my Model 3 AWD round trip from Columbus Oh, to Seattle Wa. 1.4K miles each way. Will that damage the batteries?
3. Is there any way to mitigate that?

1. I have read various times that repeated super charges are bad for the battery. True?
2. I am planning on driving my Model 3 AWD round trip from Columbus Oh, to Seattle Wa. 1.4K miles each way. Will that damage the batteries?
No, that won't damage the batteries. Just follow the charging schedule in the route planner.

The folks who've had issues here are ones who supercharge daily (or weekly) for years- not who take the occasional road trip.

Even then it's more like slightly accelerated degradation over hundreds of thousands of miles, not over 3000 miles.

Ideally you will want to do a little planning about which SCs you intend to stop at each way- and there's pretty much 2 ways to do it depending on your plans/goals.

Option 1- Most efficient time-wise is: stop when you're down to 10-20% charge- charge just enough to add enough range to get to the next supercharger with 10-20% range (usually this'll be like 10-15 minutes but can vary depending where you are, the charge rate you get, etc)

That means stopping more often, but for usually a lot less total time than full/near full charges, because the charging gets slower in the top half, and MUCH slower in the top 10-20% of charging.... and gives you more chances to take a few minutes to grab drinks/snacks, use restrooms, etc...

Option 2 is if you plan to stop for sit-down meals instead of eating in the car you can build those around charger stops and let it go to a much higher charge (even over 90% is fine since it's not going to "stay" that way for long...). This probably means more total time charging, but you're planning your meals around that so it's not "wasted" time.

Other thing is, either way, if you plan to use hotels along the way- try and find ones that offer an L2 charger in the parking lot so you can charge more slowly overnight and leave with a full charge rather than having to worry about fitting another SC stop in relative to hotel stays.... they're getting fairly common now so shouldn't be too hard to find.

No need to worry.

Just did a 6600 mile road trip in our Model X. Supercharged the entire time. Zero issues. Battery is healthy as a horse.

Relax, enjoy, and drive the car! Have a BLAST - you'll love road tripping in the Tesla!

A62A60B7-37D5-4363-832A-A7380C828BD3.jpeg

2. I am planning on driving my Model 3 AWD round trip from Columbus Oh, to Seattle Wa. 1.4K miles each way.
Will that damage the batteries?
Tesla has a very good temperature management system.
In particular Tesla controls the optimum temperature and charging speed.
The charging speed is not constant and decrease during charging.

There are many treads on this forum and other articles dealing with battery degradation and repeated super chargers usage.

Also I would recommend watching some videos from Bjørn Nyland who did many 1,000 km trips and provides valuables comments.

The only way to avoid using super chargers would be to use L2 destinations chargers when you stay overnight in an hotel or campground.

If you are interested looking at your battery, you can get quite few information (cell temperature, battery capacity, degradation...)
using an ODB2 Bluetooth probe and the App called Scan My Tesla.

Last edited:
It is true, but it's a cumulative effect. This short of a trip won't have a significant or noticeable impact (and if it does, something else was wrong with your battery). Anecdotally, I've done Supercharging (or equivalent) for much much more (at least 10x) and my battery is well within the expected health range.

There isn't really any mitigation possible, since both the charge speed and the heat added to the battery are causes of the wear. You want fast charging speeds because you're travelling, and it heats the battery (a lot) to get those charging speeds (which is not optional).

The only "healthier" way to do this for your battery would be to use Level 2 charging, which would quite literally require days of charging and waiting.

Tesla has a very good temperature management system.
In particular Tesla controls the optimum temperature and charging speed.

This is partly true, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from it.

Supercharging, and how Tesla manages the battery temperature, is a trade-off. They sacrifice ultimate battery life for faster charging speeds. The temperature management they do raises the battery temperature intentionally. This is good for charging speed, but overall not good for battery health. It's a calculated risk for a significant reduction in time spent charging.