Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charging, alert when charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just super charged for the first time and wondering if there is a way to get a text alert or some other alert from the Tesla ap when charged up to desired %? I was at a mall and could see how easy it would be to just leave the car and spend lots more time then needed away from the vehicle shopping. Potentially an issue if a busy day for the super charger use?

In the phone app, if you hit the small button in the upper left (looks kind of like a Model 3 symbol :)), then choose Notifications, there are 3 options for charging notifications. Beneath those 3 options it has a line of text that says "Supercharging notifications are always ON". The charging options are "Charging Started", "Charging Interrupted", and "Charging Complete".

I've supercharged a few times, but I've never filled it to full, so not sure if it really sends a notification or not. I would think it should though, even if you don't have the option checked. Would be nice if it could also have a notification at X% charge that is configurable. Hm...maybe I should send in a recommendation for that to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
on my apple 6 the app alerts you that the charging is nearing and alerts you upon completion, do you have the notifications set properly in your app
My car does the same. About 15 minutes before it reaches the SOC you set I get a notice it's almost complete and then another one when it is finished.

There is no excuse for any of us not to come and get ready to take our car out of the stall when it sends the first notice. The other day three out of the four stalls where I was at had owners who left their cars for well over an hour. They were all Model S's so they charge faster than my Model X which came in at 10% and left at 90%.The other owners were nowhere to be seen even though they got there before me or at the same time. Three other cars were waiting for slots to charge. This was unacceptable IMHO.

There is no excuse for any of us not to come and get ready to take our car out of the stall when it sends the first notice.
that is almost inexcusable, that said, outside of CA you rarely see crowding conditions at SpCs. in my few road trips I am usually alone at the SpC and sometimes others cars may be there on my arrival and when I return others have replaced them.
IMHP the problem in Cali is that there are so many teslas on the and road not enough SpCs, there are too many people getting "free juice" just because they can and a boat load of narcissistic types.

There is no excuse for any of us not to come and get ready to take our car out of the stall when it sends the first notice. The other day three out of the four stalls where I was at had owners who left their cars for well over an hour. They were all Model S's so they charge faster than my Model X which came in at 10% and left at 90%.The other owners were nowhere to be seen even though they got there before me or at the same time. Three other cars were waiting for slots to charge. This was unacceptable IMHO.
Of course people should move their cars when they're done, but "they were all Model S's so they charge faster than my Model X" isn't correct. Both reach 80% range in about 40 min, or longer if both paired stalls are being used. If you're basing that statement on miles added rather than percentage, a S60 needs more time than a X. When I travel I'm frequently at a supercharger for an hour to get the range I need, as that includes miles in that slow 80-100% portion of the curve. X's with greater range don't need to charge to more than 80% as often.

Of course people should move their cars when they're done, but "they were all Model S's so they charge faster than my Model X" isn't correct. Both reach 80% range in about 40 min, or longer if both paired stalls are being used. If you're basing that statement on miles added rather than percentage, a S60 needs more time than a X. When I travel I'm frequently at a supercharger for an hour to get the range I need, as that includes miles in that slow 80-100% portion of the curve. X's with greater range don't need to charge to more than 80% as often.
Yes, my 60 is pretty slow. Last month it took me more than 90 minutes to get from 15% to 90% at Moab (and I needed it to get home, given a large elevation gain). I finally got around to noticing the charging speed yesterday and found that with my car at 5% the initial speed was 78 kW and it slowly dropped from there. So, pretty slow by 85/90 standards but plenty quick enough for my needs: my stops yesterday were 25 minutes followed by 20 minutes, then a longer stop for some shopping, then fifteen minutes; no complaints from me. By the time I get my logbook out and filled in I already have ten miles added. I'm finding that I sometimes need more time for a break, or to explore the area, than the car needs to charge to get to the next station.

On my 850 mile round trip over the mountains I made seven Supercharger stops. Most of them had one other car at the station, a couple of them Xs (first I've ever seen). Every one of the cars was there for longer than I was but with so many open slots it really didn't matter. I expect to make a trip to S. California this summer or fall and see my first ever full Supercharger station and a line. Should be interesting. I hope the locals will be nice to "foreigners".

Last edited:
"There is no excuse for any of us not to come and get ready to take our car out of the stall when it sends the first notice."

I would like to move my car when it is finished charging but I do not have cell phone service. Does anyone know if the car can be set to make an audible sound when it's finished charging? I need to take cat naps along my upcoming 1500 mile trip and thought I would do that while charging.

I am curious what they do in places that Tesla does not have internet access to, if there is such a place. A few weeks ago I was at the Groveland, CA SC twice and while my phone had internet access (Verizon) I could not talk to the car (AT&T) nor did I ever get alerts about charging status.

There was a power shutdown that weekend so perhaps the infrastructure wasn't working normally.

Reactions: Cape Coddess