Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charging best practices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea it’s a super charger, and yes it’s in the middle of nowhere...I mean “rural.”
I have used the Supercharger in TorC and and the one in ABQ. The former is in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express, and is a bit hard to find. The latter is actually in the Applebee's parking lot, next door to the Holiday Inn Express in ABQ. They are both Tesla Superchargers (not destination chargers).

I have a 2017 S 90D and made the trip to ABQ from El Paso, on a very windy (gusts > 40 mph) day last spring, with a stop to charge in TorC. I was getting warnings to drive slower (which I did) but made it home with about 10% charge remaining.

If you use the Navigation system your Tesla will constantly update the distance remaining and the amount of charge expected upon arrival. In my experience, it is very accurate and gives warnings when needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
Depending on your timing you could stop in Socorro at the destination charger at the Best Western. Bring your J1772 adaptor (or yeah, the car is new - so make sure they gave you one). The Tesla charger can output 80 amps, the J1772A right next to it I think is 32 amps. Right within sight is a McDonalds and lots of other food within walking distance. If you stay for a meal, you'll get some range to make it to Albuquerque. We stayed at the BW for our visit to the Trinity site and VLA. We had to swing by for a quick charge to get to Albuquerque after the VLA so just plugged in since we had stayed there the night before. Otherwise, you can just stop in the office and ask if they want a fee.
@SixtyPilot This is the best advice. Arrange your driving to spend the night here. Arrive early (before 5pm) to reduce the chances of being blocked by a gas car. I always look for hotels with charging that are in between superchargers because you can reduce your overall charging time and sometimes even skip a SC on either side.

Stayed the night in Las Cruces, parked at the destination charger downtown in the middle of their square and ubered back to my hotel. Sign said 2hr limit, but I figured if they care at all, they probably don’t check overnight. Set departure time and ubered back in the AM with a full charge and warm cabin.

TorC to ABQ was a non issue.

The car performed admirably today in single digit temps. We’re parked with 50% battery in Denver tonight where the temp was 6f when I came inside. Looking forward to seeing how bad a cold soaked battery is in the AM. We have a super charger 2 blocks away so no risk.

.......The car performed admirably today in single digit temps. We’re parked with 50% battery in Denver tonight where the temp was 6f when I came inside. Looking forward to seeing how bad a cold soaked battery is in the AM. We have a super charger 2 blocks away so no risk.
Expect to see close to zero charging for about 30 min after plugging into the SC while the battery is warmed up.