TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Super Charging Math Doesn’t Seem Correct

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by EdisonFire, Jun 8, 2018.

1. EdisonFire

EdisonFire Member

I was doing a long distance trip from Buffalo back to New York I stopped at the supercharger in Erwin New York. Temps 83 degrees. My car is 2015 70D with 240 rated miles. Display showed 242 miles/hour charging but only 40 KW With 50 minutes to charge 62 more miles. Can 40KW charge at a rate of 240m/hr? I’ll post pic but the equation seems off

Attached Files:

2. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

The 240 mi/hr is the average of what you have achieved so far during the session (and really should just be ignored).

The 40kW is what you are currently getting and is a number you can use and understand (at 40kW you get about 2 miles of range added for each additional minute you charge, depending on what vehicle you are driving).

Since you are charging to 100% (why?) the 50 minutes remaining can have a large variation.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

But also remember the 40 kW is what you are getting at that moment. The power will continue to decrease as your state of charge increases.

• Like x 2
  4. EdisonFire

EdisonFire Member

The attempt at full charging might get me home without additional stops

. QUOTE="thefortunes, post: 2795072, member: 14399"]The 240 mi/hr is the average of what you have achieved so far during the session (and really should just be ignored).

The 40kW is what you are currently getting and is a number you can use and understand (at 40kW you get about 2 miles of range added for each additional minute you charge, depending on what vehicle you are driving).

Since you are charging to 100% (why?) the 50 minutes remaining can have a large variation.[/QUOTE]

5. eladts

eladts Member

Charging to 100% will not save you time since between 90% and 100% supercharging isn't much faster than L2 charging. It will take less time to charge to 80% or so and charge again along the way.