Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charging Privileges Suspended [purchased a used tesla -not resolved after multiple efforts]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was actually "ok" with teslas actions in your story, up until they required more than one piece of proof a new car purchase by you. Like you, I think that asking for some kind of proof that you bought a new car was "ok" in this situation, but for the dollar amount in question, shouldnt have been necessary. After the multiple requests from them to you, however, that was totally out of bounds.
The point is that he never provided them a document showing the date he purchased the car. Just documents showing a withdrawal and amount due at the dealer for an unidentified thing. He should have provided the bill of sale, or some other document that showed the purchase of the vehicle and the date of said purchase.

Reactions: WhiteWi
The point is that he never provided them a document showing the date he purchased the car. Just documents showing a withdrawal and amount due at the dealer for an unidentified thing. He should have provided the bill of sale, or some other document that showed the purchase of the vehicle and the date of said purchase.
I showed them a document with the date and time I made a withdrawl from my bank account for the cash portion of the purchase of the car. That was the information they initially requested. That receipt, in the amount of $23K and some change, was made on the date the car was purchased and after the Supercharging charge was incurred. Does this receipt conclusively prove the money was withdrawn for the purchase of the car? No, it does not. But then we're not in a court of law. OK, so they asked for something which showed that dollar amount was put down on the car. OK, I sent them that too. But that didn't have the cars VIN attached to it. So then they asked for that. Given we're not in a court of law where proof beyond a reasonable doubt should be the standard I felt I had reasonably provided the information to support the purchase of a car on that date. If Tesla requires absolute, irrefutable proof I could have provided that. But I because frustrated because I:
  • Provide us with a copy of the withdraw receipt
  • Provide us with a document showing the amount withdrawn was used to purchase a car
  • Provide us with a document showing us the amount withdrawn was used to purchase this car.
I could have provided the latter but I felt that, upon the third request for supporting documentation, it was getting ridiculous for $17.10 charge. It was no longer about the money, it was about the distrust they had in me as a customer over a $17.10 charge. They could have agreed to pay (or still agree to) the amount and I would still feel the way I do. The disdain the Customer Satisfaction team displayed for someone who purchased one of their company's product is, IMO, inexcusable. Maybe if we were talking in the hundreds or thousands of dollars. But we're talking about a $17.10 charge.

Last edited:
I showed them a document with the date and time I made a withdrawl from my bank account for the cash portion of the purchase of the car. That was the information they initially requested. That receipt, in the amount of $23K and some change, was made on the date the car was purchased and after the Supercharging charge was incurred. Does this receipt conclusively prove the money was withdrawn for the purchase of the car? No, it does not. But then we're not in a court of law. OK, so they asked for something which showed that dollar amount was put down on the car. OK, I sent them that too. But that didn't have the cars VIN attached to it. So then they asked for that. Given we're not in a court of law where proof beyond a reasonable doubt should be the standard I felt I had reasonably provided the information to support the purchase of a car on that date. If Tesla requires absolute, irrefutable proof I could have provided that. But I because frustrated because I:
  • Provide us with a copy of the withdraw receipt
  • Provide us with a document showing the amount withdrawn was used to purchase a car
  • Provide us with a document showing us the amount withdrawn was used to purchase this car.
I could have provided the latter but I felt that, upon the third request for supporting documentation, it was getting ridiculous for $17.10 charge. It was no longer about the money, it was about the distrust they had in me as a customer over a $17.10 charge. They could have agreed to pay (or still agree to) the amount and I would still feel the way I do. The disdain the Customer Satisfaction team displayed for someone who purchased one of their company's product is, IMO, inexcusable. Maybe if we were talking in the hundreds or thousands of dollars. But we're talking about a $17.10 charge.
Yes, the main issue here is that Tesla should have just refunded the $17.10 without needing proof. $17 is nothing. Doesn't matter if the customer is lying this time. Obviously a request like this should be marked down in account logs so a request like this doesn't happen again.

Yes, the main issue here is that Tesla should have just refunded the $17.10 without needing proof. $17 is nothing. Doesn't matter if the customer is lying this time. Obviously a request like this should be marked down in account logs so a request like this doesn't happen again.
I could go with a "meet me in the middle" kind of thing where it could be either that Step 1 you just mentioned of instant refund with no question, or maybe a Step 2: Ask for something, and the customer sends in something, anything, as proof that shows they are serious. And then Tesla should accept whatever document the customer sent and give the refund. But rejecting the customer's attempt to work with you as being deficient should just not happen over such a piddly amount.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I could go with a "meet me in the middle" kind of thing where it could be either that Step 1 you just mentioned of instant refund with no question, or maybe a Step 2: Ask for something, and the customer sends in something, anything, as proof that shows they are serious. And then Tesla should accept whatever document the customer sent and give the refund. But rejecting the customer's attempt to work with you as being deficient should just not happen over such a piddly amount.
We started off meeting in the middle, it wasn't until it started to drift away from the middle that I became frustrated.

I understand Tesla's perspective because whether I was or was not responsible for the charge was a matter of timing. I did own the car on the day in question however I didn't take ownership of it until the afternoon that day. The charge was incurred at 11:16 am, I suspect the dealer took it to be charged while I worked through the details of the purchase.

Unfortunately all the sales documentation has only the date of the sale, not the time. The only document which had the time was the receipt for the withdrawal I made for the cash portion of the sale. That was the original document they requested and I was fine with providing them a copy as it showed the transaction occurred at 1:21 pm. They then stated this was insufficient to show that the withdrawal was made for the purchase of the car and that I would need to show them something which showed the cash was used to purchase the car. So I provided them a picture of one of the purchase documents. However that document didn't have the VIN of the car so their position was essentially "well, we see you purchased > A < car but it doesn't show you purchased > THIS < car." That's what set me off. It's as if I was out and about buying cars that day and I wanted to pull a fast one over on Tesla for an amount of $17.10 (which, I didn't even know had been incurred until a week later).

I thought it pennywise and pound foolish for them to be so nit picky over a $17.10 charge. What makes it ironic is it was the Customer Satisfaction team which led to my dissatisfaction. The customer service representative I was speaking with was very friendly and attempted to do whatever he could to resolve the issue. Unfortunately he was at the mercy of the Customer Satisfaction team who, doesn't appear, to be appropriately names.

@Sunny5280 Hey, I am with you, and no need to explain anymore or defend yourself. It's unreasonable for anyone from Tesla to expect you to show some timing evidence for what hour within the day something happened. I was just saying asking for some kind of effort of documentation, and you providing it is as far as that needed to go, and then they should satisfy the person with the $17.

@Sunny5280 Hey, I am with you, and no need to explain anymore or defend yourself. It's unreasonable for anyone from Tesla to expect you to show some timing evidence for what hour within the day something happened. I was just saying asking for some kind of effort of documentation, and you providing it is as far as that needed to go, and then they should satisfy the person with the $17.

Don't forget the 10 cents, it's the principle now lol. It sounds like the dealer should reimburse you $17.10. But like you said, they already helped you with a 14-50 adapter and just wanted to make sure the car was charged for you so I wouldn't bother.

It's a pity the customer dissatisfaction team botched the goodwill resolution offered by the Tesla CSR. Hey don't forget to submit your birth certificate, a DNA sample, your 6th grade middle school transcript, and a ziploc sous vide poop sample by 12:01am EST tomorrow or the deal is off buddy.