Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super duper charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blown away by how good the really fast supercharging can be. Travelling from Glasgow (100%/ 340miles) to Birmingham the car took me all the way down the m6 to the Trentham superchargers the car was showing 35miles. Note there were three other cars parked up when I arrived and first connected.

I’ve not experienced super fast chargers before but whoooosh. No sooner had I parked up went for a quick pee, grabbed a bottle of juice the car was telling me it had enough charge to complete my journey. By the time I got back to the car some 2-3 mins later the car was showing c220 miles!

Utterly gobsmacked by this rapid charging experience as the best I think I’ve seen before was c137kw.

Whole trip was a pleasure though on the way back despite initially the car showing Gretna on the way back it recalculated the trip and tried to get me to carry on to Abington. Desperate for my own comfort break and something to eat I ignored the new instructions and went to an empty Gretna this time the charge hit c147kw.

Thank you Tesla.

E9F89871-F135-4F83-88D8-FFD7657E6C1C.jpeg

D8BCA1D8-65BC-4C41-BD27-DD94A65A6E5C.jpeg

The V3 chargers really can be fast, I suspect you’ve only ever used a V2 charger before.

It’s probably like internet speed, you think 50kw is fast until you experience 120kw, you think that’s fast until you experience 220kw. When is fast, fast enough? I think it’s getting pretty close in practical terms if you combine it with a comfort stop,

I looked at Bonnet. You can't sign up on a web browser which I thought was really odd, the bonnet url goes nowhere, and the whole way of signing up put me off with multiple referral codes for different things, I'd hate to think there was a better code I should have used I've heard it's also slower to start a charge and I guess its one more technology hop to go wrong. I know it can be cheaper but I can't help thinking that will change at some point. Maybe if I public charged more then I'd look at it again and make the most of it while its cheap.

Anyway, back on topic, you otherwise make a good point that Superchargers aren't always the fastest or cheapest at a location.

Yes, the Bonnet app can be slower to start a charge but you often more than make the time up with the faster charging time. I’ve enjoyed three free charging sessions with them.

The problem with SuCs like Gretna can be twofold. It gets very busy so you often have to queue. Then when you do get to plug in the V2 chargers share their power supply to you’re unlikely to get anywhere near the theoretical 150KW. That can make for a long, slow charging session so it’s good to have a faster alternative.

The V3 chargers are of course in a different league and would still be my first choice unless the site I was using was particularly busy.