Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super fast drain [ sentry mode on ]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Left home with 67% charge, arrived airport 62% Saturday. It’s Tuesday (3 days later) battery now reports 42%. That’s 7% per day on a M3LR (301 mi range current). I don’t get back till Friday night, my car might be dead. I turned off Sentry mode.

HELP! Normally my Sentry drain was more like 3% per day.

Sentry should never be left on in an airport situation, unless the car is plugged in to be charging or its an overnight trip or something. "Car not sleeping" can use somewhere between 15 miles a day to around 24 miles a day, with nothing else on.

TL ; DR there is no problem with sentry mode here.

• Love
Reactions: GtiMart and Rocky_H
Sentry should never be left on in an airport situation, unless the car is plugged in to be charging or its an overnight trip or something. "Car not sleeping" can use somewhere between 15 miles a day to around 24 miles a day, with nothing else on.

TL ; DR there is no problem with sentry mode here.
Thanks, I was more used to the 15 mile usage and was forecasting based on that.

Sentry's drain depends upon how busy it is. So, if it's at an airport parking where lots of vehicles and people are walking past, it'll be recording a lot more than when it's parked at home.

At 20%, it should turn itself off, but you've already done it. I used an app, Stats, which has a beta feature that will turn on Sentry at night. I did that at the airport, and left for 8 days over Christmas, the battery went from 64% to 32%, so 4% a day, with Sentry on about 16hrs a day, given it was mid-Winter.

No it doesn’t. The computer/cameras are active all the time. The act of recording a clip to the USB drive is an infinitesimally small amount of “extra” energy.

I’m skeptical OP’s sentry drain was ever only 3% per day. They’d have the only Tesla in existence with a draw that low.
Really? Interesting. I've had heavy rain trigger constant recordings on Sentry, and my drain was much higher.