TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Super high spike in energy usage - bug?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by joek, Aug 28, 2015.

1. joek

joek Member

I took delivery of an 85D Tesla this week, and ran into a weird situation while driving home tonight. I was in very slow crawling traffic due to a sobriety checkpoint. During this very slow driving, the energy usage spiked on the Tesla. Way off the chart. (I don't think I can post links yet, but I have photos).

I had about 177 rated range left when I noticed it, and switched the display to the instant energy view, and it was saying at that energy usage, I was only going to have 17 projected miles. It clearly seemed like a bug, but I didn’t know if the bug was in the calculation/display or in the actual energy consumption.

Some things that might have affected it:

1. My wife had turned the tempurature on her side up, and turned on her car seat warmer.
    2. I left mine on a low AC temperature
    3. We were in crawling stop/go traffic
    4. I turned on range, and turned off climate controls after noticing the weird energy usage
    5. It corrected when we finally got back up to normal driving speeds.

anyone seen this?

thanks

2. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Normal. The small loads in the car were using more power *per mile* than if you were moving more quickly. In slow traffic this adds up and looks like a spike in usage, since the graph is based on energy vs distance not energy vs time.

3. joek

joek Member

ah. ok. I guess I hadn't been that slow traffic before, and thought slow traffic would be super low energy. But over distance makes sense.

thanks, false alarm.