TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Super Loud: New Autopilot Chimes

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Khatsalano, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

So, in the latest patch, have you noticed the following changes to the autopilot chimes?

• Volume of all autopilot chimes now turned up to 11 ... Annoying Loud mode. It's quite jarring.
    • When you engage autopilot and autosteer is not available, it went from two repeating mid-chimes, to the much more jarring error alert sound
    ... can we have the old audio back? This is just super annoying. Also, while we're at it, let's make the stupid autopilot "Hold the Steering Wheel" sleep check not to interrupt the music. :)

- K

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

No doubt they want to make sure that you notice the sounds.

Any changes to the visual indicator that precedes the sounds? I find it too subtle. I often miss it in my lower peripheral vision while I'm watching the road ahead. When it appears it's easily the most important information on the screen, so it should be larger and more central.

3. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I haven't noticed that they are that much louder. But I usually have Slacker on, too.

I do wish that the Mario Kart version could be activated without the cowbell sound. Maybe 3 taps for visual and 4 if you need the audio?

At first I thought it was too much color, but after driving on AP without it now it seems too bland. Damn you, Elon. ;)

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

The increased volume is necessary IMHO. I could barely hear the noise over my music in earlier versions. Also, there were several reports of people who had close calls because they thought autosteer was engaged when it really wasn't. If you have music playing, the difference between "autosteer engaged" and "autosteer couldn't engage" was not very stark.

• Like x 2
  5. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Sorry, should have commented on this. I have not noticed any changes to the visual and I still miss it sometimes until it interrupts my music, which I suppose is a good thing.

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

If everyone is experiencing the increased volume then I can assure you it is the intent of the team to make sure you are aware of the Autopilot state. I'm baffled as to why it would be made so loud when they could have just as easily muted sound to the driver-side speaker and attenuated the chime appropriately.

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I'm on the latest update with the increased volume for Autopilot chimes, and I'd hardly call them "super loud." More like finally "adequately loud." Can actually hear them over road noise and radio on volume level 6. They were too quiet before, IMO.

• Like x 1
  8. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Hmmm, well that's interesting feedback from other owners. It seems that just like phone settings, we should have the ability to set the volume on warning chimes.

Some people need the phone volume turned all the way up to hear the other caller. For me, that is actually quite uncomfortable/painful to my ears because I can hear at a much lower setting. Sounds like the take-away is: allow us to adjust the volume, Tesla!

- K

• Like x 1
  9. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Dies the drivers side speaker sound either muted or volume attenuated when chimes play?

10. Todd Burch

I think the very point is to not let you turn down the volume on the warning chimes. Hell, why not let people mute them? Have you ever been able to turn down the seat belt warning chimes in other cars?

C'mon though, it's really not that loud. (And yes, I have excellent hearing).

• Like x 1
  11. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

LOL. Sounds like they are trying to fix the problem with people not noticing/forgetting autopilot disabled. Turning up the volume is not the way to do it, because it's not the audio that's the problem, it's because the human brain is focusing on another task, like avoiding a collision. Consult a magician...

12. Todd Burch

This is about the sound when an attempt to first engage autopilot fails. If you're attempting to avoid a collision at that time, you have bigger problems.

Also, every human factors engineering class I've ever taken comes to the conclusion that a louder sound is inherently more noticeable than a nearly imperceptible sound...

• Like x 1