Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Loud: New Autopilot Chimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, in the latest patch, have you noticed the following changes to the autopilot chimes?

• Volume of all autopilot chimes now turned up to 11 ... Annoying Loud mode. It's quite jarring.
  • When you engage autopilot and autosteer is not available, it went from two repeating mid-chimes, to the much more jarring error alert sound
... can we have the old audio back? This is just super annoying. Also, while we're at it, let's make the stupid autopilot "Hold the Steering Wheel" sleep check not to interrupt the music. :)

- K

No doubt they want to make sure that you notice the sounds.

Any changes to the visual indicator that precedes the sounds? I find it too subtle. I often miss it in my lower peripheral vision while I'm watching the road ahead. When it appears it's easily the most important information on the screen, so it should be larger and more central.

I haven't noticed that they are that much louder. But I usually have Slacker on, too.

I do wish that the Mario Kart version could be activated without the cowbell sound. Maybe 3 taps for visual and 4 if you need the audio?

At first I thought it was too much color, but after driving on AP without it now it seems too bland. Damn you, Elon. ;)

The increased volume is necessary IMHO. I could barely hear the noise over my music in earlier versions. Also, there were several reports of people who had close calls because they thought autosteer was engaged when it really wasn't. If you have music playing, the difference between "autosteer engaged" and "autosteer couldn't engage" was not very stark.

Reactions: JenniferQ and Beryl
No doubt they want to make sure that you notice the sounds.

Any changes to the visual indicator that precedes the sounds? I find it too subtle. I often miss it in my lower peripheral vision while I'm watching the road ahead. When it appears it's easily the most important information on the screen, so it should be larger and more central.
Sorry, should have commented on this. I have not noticed any changes to the visual and I still miss it sometimes until it interrupts my music, which I suppose is a good thing.

If everyone is experiencing the increased volume then I can assure you it is the intent of the team to make sure you are aware of the Autopilot state. I'm baffled as to why it would be made so loud when they could have just as easily muted sound to the driver-side speaker and attenuated the chime appropriately.

Hmmm, well that's interesting feedback from other owners. It seems that just like phone settings, we should have the ability to set the volume on warning chimes.

Some people need the phone volume turned all the way up to hear the other caller. For me, that is actually quite uncomfortable/painful to my ears because I can hear at a much lower setting. Sounds like the take-away is: allow us to adjust the volume, Tesla!

- K

Reactions: William3
I'm on the latest update with the increased volume for Autopilot chimes, and I'd hardly call them "super loud." More like finally "adequately loud." Can actually hear them over road noise and radio on volume level 6. They were too quiet before, IMO.
Dies the drivers side speaker sound either muted or volume attenuated when chimes play?

Hmmm, well that's interesting feedback from other owners. It seems that just like phone settings, we should have the ability to set the volume on warning chimes.

Some people need the phone volume turned all the way up to hear the other caller. For me, that is actually quite uncomfortable/painful to my ears because I can hear at a much lower setting. Sounds like the take-away is: allow us to adjust the volume, Tesla!

- K

I think the very point is to not let you turn down the volume on the warning chimes. Hell, why not let people mute them? Have you ever been able to turn down the seat belt warning chimes in other cars?

C'mon though, it's really not that loud. (And yes, I have excellent hearing).

Reactions: JenniferQ
LOL. Sounds like they are trying to fix the problem with people not noticing/forgetting autopilot disabled. Turning up the volume is not the way to do it, because it's not the audio that's the problem, it's because the human brain is focusing on another task, like avoiding a collision. Consult a magician...

This is about the sound when an attempt to first engage autopilot fails. If you're attempting to avoid a collision at that time, you have bigger problems.

Also, every human factors engineering class I've ever taken comes to the conclusion that a louder sound is inherently more noticeable than a nearly imperceptible sound...

Reactions: bmah
I really wish Tesla would provide an option for the volume of the autopilot chimes. I just got a new 2018 Model X with upgraded sound system. The autopilot chimes are significantly louder than my previous 2016 Autopilot 1.0 Model X and 2015 Model S, all on the same firmware version. I'm constantly in and out of autopilot to maneuver around the morons in Phoenix cutting me off and then slowing down or driving slowly or erratically in the HOV lane. You can't get out of the HOV lane without disengaging Autopilot because it is a solid white line. Now with Navigate on Autopilot it is even worse. After a pleasant evening out on the town I have to turn off Autopilot so the loud chimes don't disturb everyone in the car! Originally (especially pre "nag") I could really relax with Autopilot on, but not any more. I trust it will be improved but I'm feeling a little sorry I spent $8000 for an option I'm learning to hate. I have a service appoint next week to see if they can do anything about it.

Reactions: am_dmd and AWDtsla
I really wish Tesla would provide an option for the volume of the autopilot chimes. I just got a new 2018 Model X with upgraded sound system. The autopilot chimes are significantly louder than my previous 2016 Autopilot 1.0 Model X and 2015 Model S, all on the same firmware version. I'm constantly in and out of autopilot to maneuver around the morons in Phoenix cutting me off and then slowing down or driving slowly or erratically in the HOV lane. You can't get out of the HOV lane without disengaging Autopilot because it is a solid white line. Now with Navigate on Autopilot it is even worse. After a pleasant evening out on the town I have to turn off Autopilot so the loud chimes don't disturb everyone in the car! Originally (especially pre "nag") I could really relax with Autopilot on, but not any more. I trust it will be improved but I'm feeling a little sorry I spent $8000 for an option I'm learning to hate. I have a service appoint next week to see if they can do anything about it.
Did the SC have anything to help with this?