Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super low power output, possible wiring issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a 13.6Kwh, 2 inverters & single Powerwall installed this Wednesday. I live in Calabasas, lots of sun, no shade, hot as balls in Summer. My system should be cranking way over typical national estimates. I suspect my issue is be wiring related. I'm getting instantaneous max solar output of >5Kwh and my daily production is around 30kw. From what I've read, my system should be delivering more than 60kwh daily and the fact that I'm not bumping up against the 7kwh inverter limit is also very strange. Both inverters are powered on but beyond that, I'm not qualified to diagnose any wiring issues.

Lastly, my system seems to be exporting power to the grid, even though the app says that is turned off and I have not gotten PTO yet, I've verified my meter is running backwards when the app shows its exporting.

Attachments

• IMG_0610.PNG
    IMG_0610.PNG
    300 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0607 2.jpg
    IMG_0607 2.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 71
you may want to review this thread

you may want to review this thread

Thanks. That guys reply & solution would seem to point to a problem with my installation

I just had a 13.6Kwh, 2 inverters & single Powerwall installed this Wednesday. I live in Calabasas, lots of sun, no shade, hot as balls in Summer. My system should be cranking way over typical national estimates. I suspect my issue is be wiring related. I'm getting instantaneous max solar output of >5Kwh and my daily production is around 30kw. From what I've read, my system should be delivering more than 60kwh daily and the fact that I'm not bumping up against the 7kwh inverter limit is also very strange. Both inverters are powered on but beyond that, I'm not qualified to diagnose any wiring issues.

Lastly, my system seems to be exporting power to the grid, even though the app says that is turned off and I have not gotten PTO yet, I've verified my meter is running backwards when the app shows its exporting.
Why do you think you should be bumping up against the 7kW inverter limit? Assuming that your PV modules are evenly split between the solar inverters you likely won't hit the solar inverter limit?

Your first image does say you are in self consumption mode and the solar output graph does suggest that the system is throttling output which would be consistent with that setting however the numbers saying you exported to the grid is odd. If you touch the little graph next to the word "day" in the upper right corner it will color code the graph and it will tell us where it thinks the solar generation went. Can you also share images of the house, powerwall and grid graphs?

One Powerwall for large PV system is slightly odd (Tesla would have pushed hard for at least a second if not a third). The Powerwall can only absorb at charge at a certain rate (about 5 kW if memory serves). In the image you shared the Powerwall is close to the limit and your don't have much house load so the PV output is almost certainly being limited to avoid exporting/overloading the Powerwall. This system is not perfect so some amount of grid export/import is evitable. That doesn't explain the 11.9 kWh exported in the first image you posted.

Basically your limited output is easily explained by the non-PTO (self consumption, no export) state of your system. What I find odd is why your system thinks it exported a significant amount of energy.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder