Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Ludicrous and 400+ Mile Range Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Filling crumple zones with extra, oddball shaped battery packs doesn’t strike me as a good plan.

Getting rid of the front motor while adding mass out in front of and behind the wheels would make it a far less desirable handling and performing car.

I can name a lot of dedicated sports cars that have a significant mass in front called an engine and are rear wheel drive and will handle better than a model 3. I would rather have more battery than my frunk. I've never used it.

The model 3 is not an amazingly heavy car. I don't know why people always think that.

Model 3 - 3,552 to 4,100 lbs
Mustang - 3,520–3,800 lbs.
Camaro - 3,351 to 4,120 lbs.
Challenger - 3,858 to 4,429 lbs
Thanks for help making my point. There is nowhere in this world where the Challenger is considered a nimble car. :p

Also, I'm not sure where those Camaro's numbers are coming from??? 4,120lb is an SS with 3 dead bodies in the trunk?

Last edited:
"A 100 kWh in a Model 3 would undoubtedly result in over 400 miles of range – up from 322 miles in current Model 3 Long Range vehicles."

Someone want to break the news to Fred that a ~33% increase in battery capacity doesn't result in a ~33% increase in range, unless they're somehow doing it without adding mass?
True, but surprisingly close.

Highway driving is only affected by rolling resistance = m * g * ƒ ; aero resistance stays the same. If ƒ = 0.009, one additional kWh adds ~ 0.6 Kg mass (until a beefier suspension is also required), and that 0.6 Kg adds 0.6 * 9.8 * 9/1000 Newtons. This equals 0.053 Wh/km = 0.085 Wh/mile. So 20 kWh more battery is ~ 1.7 Wh/mile more consumption

City driving is affected more although that is not where range matters, and the penalty is markedly mitigated by regen braking. The olde rule of thumb based on ICE vehicles that a P increase in fractional mass leads to ~ P/2 increase in energy consumption is more along the lines of P/6 for a Tesla.

I was thinking they were testing "battery day" -type batteries in prep for Battery Day (see what I did there?) and if so, those batteries are purportedly more energy dense and thus able to be shoehorned into the 75kwh battery compartment of the Model 3...if true this makes me REALLY look forward to the Model S redesign...and may help explain the 500-mile range of the "much heavier" CT (which is still supposed to do a 0-60 time of 2.9 sec).