TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Superbowl Car Commercials

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by ggies07, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

I can't stand watching all these car commercials saying they have the best mileage, yada yada yada. It's actually quite annoying. Tesla doesn't do tv spots, or PR in general and I'm fine with that, but I think this would have been a great spot to show the brand.

2. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

Unfortunately the cost for the spot is another story...

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I don't think I've ever seen Maserati advertise on TV, until today. Feeling pressure from Tesla?!

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yep. Ever since I got the Roadster in 2010, every car commercial just seems humdrum if not retro. Oh look, an animation of little explosions driving pistons, with a voiceover extolling the marvelous 1900's technology!

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yeah. That was odd. Have never seen a TV add from them before.

6. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Yeah, the stupid Ford hybrid one where they kept saying "nearly" double the range, blah blah blah. I was thinking "Well, if you want range.......TESLA!"

7. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Speaking of Maserati, look what I snapped a picture of at the grocery store tonight. mamyja6a.jpg

I couldn't believe they parked it front and center. The opposite corner of the parking had a nicer (and faster accelerating) car though. ;)

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

Yeah, right at the start was an add for the Daytona 500. And then a female driver in a green jumpsuit. OH LOOK! DAYTONA! MUST BE LEILANI! Had to go back and stop motion to see the (really short) section again.

Nope. Darn. Just some ol' lady driver named Danica Patrick. Oh well. (Danica owns some vineyard property about a mile from my house, so really just teasing, but I am waiting for Leilani to be more famous driving her Tesla Supercar to win the Daytona 500 with 90 second battery changes. And maybe 170 kWh batteries!)

Go Leilani! Maybe Next Year Superbowl, right?

9. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Ford and Maserati need to be spending their money on making a more relevant car, not these mega dollar commercials.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

This commercial struck me as odd.

Inspiring build-up followed by "just another pricey, low volume car". Very weird.

12. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

The Smart Electric commercial was just plain bad. Here, let's spend the first half of the commercial making fun of electric cars, then show how nicely it parks. Yea...that's a winner.

13. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

I was thinking about this - I think Elon could have taken one for the team. ;) hahaha.

14. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

15. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#15 SwedishAdvocate, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    James Franco seems to be quite the car salesman. Before this Ford fusion plug, ~six months ago he was selling the i3. Maybe 6 months was the contracted quarantine…

16. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Ok, Jaguar F-type looks nice, but do we need to have helicopters, stunts, mansions, and bald actors to show us why it's nice? Put that money into doing something other than ICE. I'm just mad the game is a blowout :).

17. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Which game? The football or EV one? hey oh!

18. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

That Chrysler commercial was a new low.

19. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Just logged in to see if I could find somewhere to post about ALL these car commercials. Should have known you guys would be on it.
    Apparently, auto co.s have multi-million$ to throw at the wall & hope something sticks. Futile attempts to differentiate products that are all the same old stuff. The real problem I see is that as the economy improves and sales pick up, every NEW ICE powered car that is sold is a setback. They will last, on average, for 20 years (?)

20. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

I believe what is keeping Tesla alive and becoming more and more popular are the customers. People respond to social networking now. Social channels are like compound interest and it is cheap. The more we chime the values of the Model S to people, the more people will take notice. Beyond the news and beyond commercials, customer satisfaction is being noted these days. Customer satisfaction is what will have the big car companies worried. Last year the Model S got Car of the Year by Motor Trend. While the current institution does not care about this, they certainly got the rug pulled from under them.

While we would love to see Tesla grow to the size of GM or Ford some day and I believe they will. I do hope the other car companies take note of just how much making a quality product impacts your business. If the Model S didn't get Car of The Year and accolades beyond count, if it didn't get the praise that each individual that owns one, then there would be no Tesla. That is why I am buying a Tesla this year, I am spending about 70k more then I would for any car. And the car is out of my price range, though due to the stock this is no longer the case, but I believe in a quality product and I am not even a car guy. Hell! I hate, HATE having debt and I have to finance 30k of it! But the Model S is quality and when you have a product that transcends cookie cutter and quality regulations you get buyers. It is in in everything they are doing. Elon spoke on how the NHTSA requires certain parts of the cars to be able to withstand impact and he said that they didn't care about that, that they wanted the car to be safe from ANY impact location. It is these things that are making Tesla successful.

I just hope that some day the larger companies can see the impact of a quality product, made from the ground up with quality. Though again, I am not a car guy so maybe my view is skewed, but I just don't see the quality in vehicles today, especially vehicles so stuck in the past.