Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchagers near playgrounds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, we don't quite have our Tesla yet, but I have three very young kids and would love to try to roadtrips it to visit family. Normally in our ICE car, we'd stop at a playground about every 2 hours to have them run off some energy. I'd like to see if I can do the same with our Tesla, but I'm not sure how to find super charger stations near playground/parks. Plugshare is somewhat helpful, but other than that, I've been trying to use Google Maps.

I've found some level 2 chargers near playgrounds, but they won't charge fast enough for a road trip. Alternatively, I could just drop them off at the playground with my wife and go supercharger and come back.

Thanks in advance.

That's going to be a difficult feature to match up and likely quite rare on road trips. I've been to over a hundred sites and probably less than a handful have had a playground within walking distance.

The same is often true for restaurants. What I found we do most often is pick up food and then go to the charger. I think your plan for dropping off the family, charging, and then picking them up will be your best solution.

There are tools that allow you to search for charging stations (Superchargers included) near specific amenity types, but I've never seen "playground" as a listed amenity type, so this could be an uphill battle.

Just curious: even when in an ICE-mobile, how do you go about searching out playgrounds while on the road? Is it more of an opportunistic type of stop? I.e. when you stop for gas you then look around for a place to stretch nearby the gas station? I do remember doing something similar one time on a trip with young kids: we found a nearby college campus and figured there would at least be a decent sized piece of grass somewhere they could run around in.

There are tools that allow you to search for charging stations (Superchargers included) near specific amenity types, but I've never seen "playground" as a listed amenity type, so this could be an uphill battle.

Just curious: even when in an ICE-mobile, how do you go about searching out playgrounds while on the road? Is it more of an opportunistic type of stop? I.e. when you stop for gas you then look around for a place to stretch nearby the gas station? I do remember doing something similar one time on a trip with young kids: we found a nearby college campus and figured there would at least be a decent sized piece of grass somewhere they could run around in.
Usually the one that's not driving will just use google maps for a park when we feel like the kids are getting antsy. We've never done a really long road trip with just one parent in the car.

Then we'll use google satellite view to see if the park has a playground. Or we might just search for playground. Usually, we are able to find a gas station nearby and we'll just stop get gas for a few minutes then go to the playground/park.

Reactions: RTPEV
The same is often true for restaurants. What I found we do most often is pick up food and then go to the charger. I think your plan for dropping off the family, charging, and then picking them up will be your best solution.

I’m surprised you’re having trouble finding superchargers near restaurants. Every supercharger I’ve ever used is walking distance from at least one restaurant, often several.

My sense is that the Tesla Supercharger experience will not be as convenient in this scenario. Unless you are lucky enough to travel in a Tesla-dense area (ie. Southern or Bay Area, California), you're not likely to be able to pick and choose your Supercharger stops. In many cases you'll just have to take what you get based on where you are when your battery gets low.

That said, obviously there are some stops that are better than others that you can possibly aim for. There's a Supercharger in Georgia (Brunswick) that's sited at a bowling alley that is very welcoming to Teslas for example. What fun!

That said, obviously there are some stops that are better than others that you can possibly aim for. There's a Supercharger in Georgia (Brunswick) that's sited at a bowling alley that is very welcoming to Teslas for example. What fun!
The Willie Jewell’s BBQ place near the bowling alley is pretty good too. Worth checking out if you want to eat while charging.

Hi All, we don't quite have our Tesla yet, but I have three very young kids and would love to try to roadtrips it to visit family. Normally in our ICE car, we'd stop at a playground about every 2 hours to have them run off some energy. I'd like to see if I can do the same with our Tesla, but I'm not sure how to find super charger stations near playground/parks. Plugshare is somewhat helpful, but other than that, I've been trying to use Google Maps.

I've found some level 2 chargers near playgrounds, but they won't charge fast enough for a road trip. Alternatively, I could just drop them off at the playground with my wife and go supercharger and come back.

Thanks in advance.

I've been to over 1,000 Superchargers in the United States and very few of them are within walking distance of a playground. I don't really think you'll really be able to plan a trip around playground/Supercharger combos, but you should have no problem finding playgrounds along your general route. I recommend looking for other activities around Superchargers like museums and local shops that the kids might find interesting.

Reactions: Nordo and DblOSmith
I love this thread. My young kids have always been very content playing in whatever patch of grass or dirt that is near the supercharger. We usually pack a soccer ball, kickball and whatever else we can think of to entertain them when we stop. Superchargers near playgrounds would be ideal, but we’ve had fun making do.

Reactions: Nordo
I think it depends on the area you're looking at - we've only sampled a limited number of superchargers, and only in the west, but have found a few within walking distance (5-10 minutes or so) of playgrounds:

Poncha Springs, CO (~5 minutes walk to Chipeta Park)
Colorado Springs, CO (smallish urban playground)
Sheridan, WY (~10 minutes walk to Kendrick Park)
Superior, MT (~5 min walk)
Lusk, WY (small playground right at motel hosting supercharger)
Wall, SD (~7 min walk to "Wall public park" with playground and swimming pool)
Blanding, UT (playground right next to supercharger)
Glenwood Springs, CO (not a park, but community rec center with pool is basically across the street)
Silverthorne, CO (V2 supercharger is walking distance from a similar rec center)

Also notable is Butte, MT. Not within walking distance, but Stodden Park is awesome and worth a dropoff (a few minute drive from supercharger).

Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nordo
I think it depends on the area you're looking at - we've only sampled a limited number of superchargers, and only in the west, but have found a few within walking distance (5-10 minutes or so) of playgrounds:

Poncha Springs, CO (~5 minutes walk to Chipeta Park)
Colorado Springs, CO (smallish urban playground)
Sheridan, WY (~10 minutes walk to Kendrick Park)
Superior, MT (~5 min walk)
Lusk, WY (small playground right at motel hosting supercharger)
Wall, SD (~7 min walk to "Wall public park" with playground and swimming pool)
Blanding, UT (playground right next to supercharger)
Glenwood Springs, CO (not a park, but community rec center with pool is basically across the street)
Silverthorne, CO (V2 supercharger is walking distance from a similar rec center)

Also notable is Butte, MT. Not within walking distance, but Stodden Park is awesome and worth a dropoff (a few minute drive from supercharger).

Have fun!
Hi Tectonic, have you just stumbled upon the playgrounds after getting to the Supercharger or is there some way to proactively find them?

Hi Tectonic, have you just stumbled upon the playgrounds after getting to the Supercharger or is there some way to proactively find them?

I find Google maps works well for scouting out options - some combination of the map, satellite, and street view. And you might note from the list above, small-town superchargers are usually the most promising.