Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchanging but not charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! A little new here however been on the forums and how looked around a bit prior to this post. Currently on a 2012 model S P 85 with about 60,000 miles on it.

so fun story, we have a home charger, an EV outlet installed and everything and we’ve been good to go for quite some time. As of recently our car has been sending us notification saying unable to charge. We went ahead unplugged it plugged it back in for the breaker. It’s basically been this song and dance of trying to charge it with only getting a few miles on it or maybe a full charge, it just depends on how finicky the car wants to be that day. Went ahead and message Tesla I went and purchased a new charger for it, but same issues happening.

So now here we are and because I am second owner I do not get free super charging for life. We don’t have a problem paying for the super charging, but we went to go ahead and check it and it’s super charging just fine. I let Tesla know and now they’re trying to get me in for a $2300 master charger replacement. I went ahead and purchased new fuses as I’ve went through the forums prior to see if that could be the issue.

But just wanted to check in with everyone if anyone has had this problem yet where they can supercharge but not charge regularly at home. Open to all feedback and thank you in advance. Cheers!

Superchargers bypass the onboard chargers so very likely that either internal fuses on the onboard charger are blown or the onboard charger itself is toast.
If you are going to tackle testing and changing fuses in the onboard charger take extra precautions to ensure the HV is disconnected. Messing around with HV is no joke. Changing the fuses is not hard but be careful.

Hi all! A little new here however been on the forums and how looked around a bit prior to this post. Currently on a 2012 model S P 85 with about 60,000 miles on it.

so fun story, we have a home charger, an EV outlet installed and everything and we’ve been good to go for quite some time. As of recently our car has been sending us notification saying unable to charge. We went ahead unplugged it plugged it back in for the breaker. It’s basically been this song and dance of trying to charge it with only getting a few miles on it or maybe a full charge, it just depends on how finicky the car wants to be that day. Went ahead and message Tesla I went and purchased a new charger for it, but same issues happening.

So now here we are and because I am second owner I do not get free super charging for life. We don’t have a problem paying for the super charging, but we went to go ahead and check it and it’s super charging just fine. I let Tesla know and now they’re trying to get me in for a $2300 master charger replacement. I went ahead and purchased new fuses as I’ve went through the forums prior to see if that could be the issue.

But just wanted to check in with everyone if anyone has had this problem yet where they can supercharge but not charge regularly at home. Open to all feedback and thank you in advance. Cheers!
I started having the same issue recently. It started after the latest software update. I'm going to try troubleshooting it with Tesla this week (didn't know support is only available M-F 8-5PM PST).

Go to a destination charger and see if it charges. I suspect it will not, but just to rule out that its not your home charger acting up. Since SC don't use the onboard charger. I haven't had one go out on me before but if you're mechanically inclined you can look into the process for checking out fuses inside the onboard charger otherwise take it to tesla. Because its part of the HV system it can be very dangerous to mess with it if you cant follow directions or accidently short something out because you didn't remove the firemans loop and properly disable the main pack.

Try also à Tesla Destination charger if possible. Long time ago, on a vacation, I was only able to use Superchargers and Tesla DeC. My mobile Tesla UMC did not work, nor any public chargers. When back home, it took them a while to identify the issue but eventually they replaced a junction box.
The odd thing is that at home I had a Tesla Wall Comnector, while seems identical to DeC, but it would not work either.