Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharge an iPhone X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I know this is literally impossible and would probably explode an iPhone, but I’m asking strictly mathmateically. I figured someone on this forum could figure this out.

All the logistical reasons keeping this from happening aside (no converter, would overheat the iPhone battery, probably a bunch more)... Given the size of the iPhone X battery and given the speed in which superchargers charge, how long would it take for a supercharger to charge an iPhone X?

This is just out of curiosity/fun! Thank you!

I think it's technically 2,716 mAh (2.716 Ah) battery so at a nominal voltage of 3.7V, that's about 10 Wh for the iPhone X.

At 120kW charge rate, that's 10Wh divided by 120,000W for 8.33333333x10^-5 hours which is 0.005 minutes or 0.3 seconds.

Most Li-ion batteries can typically be safely charged at 0.5C to 1.0C though there are exceptions with different chemistries. So a 2,716 mAh at a 1.0C charge rate would be about 2.716A. 120kW charge rate at say, 4.2V would be... a little over 28,500 Amps (Charge rate of over 1,000C). Other than the Li-Ion battery virtually vaporizing at that point, I wonder which gauge wire would be required for 28,500 Amps... #ThingsThatMakeYouGoHrm

Extra Credit:

How long could an iPhone X stay on if instead it had a 10Wh battery, but a 75kWh battery?

• Informative
Reactions: cizUK and lupend88
Extra Credit:

How long could an iPhone X stay on if instead it had a 10Wh battery, but a 75kWh battery?

I’ll bite. 7,500 times longer as capacity should scale linearly?

My iPhone X would probably be able to run for a month straight with all the Peppa pig my daughter watches. That drains battery like no other.

Could I fit that form factor Phone in my skinny jeans is another question.

• Funny
Reactions: lupend88 and Kermee
I’ll bite. 7,500 times longer as capacity should scale linearly?

My iPhone X would probably be able to run for a month straight with all the Peppa pig my daughter watches. That drains battery like no other.

Could I fit that form factor Phone in my skinny jeans is another question.

Hah. For fun, let's just say it would scale linearly. You'd be correct. — There's other factors which come into play with the Model 3 battery pack system (i.e. internal self discharge over time, ambient temperatures, etc.) but yes... 7,500 times longer which based off of Apple's specs...

odeGZIX.png

Would turn into...

iPhone X with a Model 3 LR Battery Pack

Talk time (wireless):
Up to 157,500 hours (or 18 years)

Internet Use:
Up to 90,000 hours (or 10.3 years)

Video playback (wireless):
Up to 97,500 hours (or 11.2 years)

Audio playback (wireless):
Up to 450,000 hours (or 51.4 years)​

That's a lot of Peppa Pig videos... ;)

Theoretically? Just as long as it does now.

If you were to hook up a 120V circuit (with a diode to convert to DC) directly to a phone battery, it would fry in a short time. If you were to hook it up through the phone's charge port, then the power would never get to the battery, as the circuits would fry.

So, my point is that the difference between 120V direct DC charging and Supercharger direct charging is basically the same. You have to have voltage regulators to make it into the phone.

In case you didn't realize, welders don't need anywhere near the current or voltages as a Supercharger. Place a iPhone between the terminals of a Supercharger and you get a magic act, the phone just vaporizes.

Reactions: lupend88
How many years would an iPhone battery last if you could set a limit on charging to 80%?

It would probably make a noticeable difference. Although the battery chemistries between a Li-Ion pack in smartphones are slightly different from Tesla batteries, they behave similarly in regards to SoC cycles. (i.e. My OmniCharge 20 USB-C has a "Battery Limiting Feature" where you can select pre-designated charge and discharge SoC ranges to increase the longevity of the 18650 cells). — Also, heat (thermals) play a huge role in longevity also. With one of my Android phones, the battery only lasted a year because it was in direct sunlight mounted on the front windshield, plugged into power, running Waze with the screen constantly on with no cooling around it. Still debating whether to take it to a local shop to have them replace the battery of that phone for $50 USD.

In case you didn't realize, welders don't need anywhere near the current or voltages as a Supercharger. Place a iPhone between the terminals of a Supercharger and you get a magic act, the phone just vaporizes.

Someone should do it and put the video up on YouTube! :D