Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharge cable button opened another charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was about to supercharge my Model X, brought the Tesla charge cable close to the port and pushed the button. Not only my charge port, but also the port on a (unoccupied, presumably locked) neighbouring Model S opened up.

Did the other owner forget his key in the car? But even then, isn't this outside the normal range? I was able to repeat this multiple times after closing both ports.

That's the way it works.

Same with an HPWC. How would the Supercharging cable otherwise know which car is yours?

The cable sends out a signal, any car that picks it up will open the chargeport.

I was about to supercharge my Model X, brought the Tesla charge cable close to the port and pushed the button. Not only my charge port, but also the port on a (unoccupied, presumably locked) neighbouring Model S opened u
Charge cables are not specifically tied to a particular Tesla. If they were, that would be a problem. A Supercharger cable could only charge a single car. A home HPWC cable could only charge a single car.

Lol... interesting.

I (apparently wrongly) assumed you'd always have to be right next to the port you'd want to open.

For example a passive, low frequency RFID tag or NFC smart tag in the port and a reader in the charge cable handle would have sufficiently limited range (5-20cm) to only activate a single charge port.

I'm not complaining though, still very impressed by the whole system :D