TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharge cable button opened another charge port

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Frogwheels, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Frogwheels

Frogwheels Member

I was about to supercharge my Model X, brought the Tesla charge cable close to the port and pushed the button. Not only my charge port, but also the port on a (unoccupied, presumably locked) neighbouring Model S opened up.

Did the other owner forget his key in the car? But even then, isn't this outside the normal range? I was able to repeat this multiple times after closing both ports.

2. Max*

Max* Banned

That's the way it works.

Same with an HPWC. How would the Supercharging cable otherwise know which car is yours?

The cable sends out a signal, any car that picks it up will open the chargeport.

3. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

That's why when you go inside a Tesla SC, you'll see all of the charge ports on all of the cars are always open. They don't bother to close them anymore.

4. Hammer@OR.US

When the car is locked, the charge port doors do not lock closed, It only locks a charge handle into the port. I have two S's and they both always open up when I press my wall connector button.

5. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

Yes, that's how it works. It was fun when I did my test drive, pushed the button on the charger, and watched six ports open in unison.

6. tga

tga Supporting Member

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Charge cables are not specifically tied to a particular Tesla. If they were, that would be a problem. A Supercharger cable could only charge a single car. A home HPWC cable could only charge a single car.

8. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

It is a feature, not a bug.

• Funny x 2
  9. tpham07

tpham07 Member

i saw this on a delivery video and lol-ed when it happened.

• Like x 1
  10. Chet

Chet Member

On my 2015 S85D, I just tap the charge port door and it opens. If I press the charge cable at the little dot, while holding it next to the door on my car the door opens as does the door on my wife's S85D. Two for one.

11. Frogwheels

Frogwheels Member

Lol... interesting.

I (apparently wrongly) assumed you'd always have to be right next to the port you'd want to open.

For example a passive, low frequency RFID tag or NFC smart tag in the port and a reader in the charge cable handle would have sufficiently limited range (5-20cm) to only activate a single charge port.

I'm not complaining though, still very impressed by the whole system :D