Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharge didn't slow down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Model S 85

Had been a few months since I used a Supercharger, no issues ever before. Started at about 25% SOC. Was pulling about 160mi/hr. I didn't realize the SC never throttled down and I continued to pull 160mi/hr until I hit my preferred 85% top-off limit. Then the car continued to hum loudly (likely cooling) after I disconnected and until i got out of the lot (spent at least 5mins trying to figure that noise out).

Anyone have this experience or have information? Thanks.

2013 Model S 85

Had been a few months since I used a Supercharger, no issues ever before. Started at about 25% SOC. Was pulling about 160mi/hr. I didn't realize the SC never throttled down and I continued to pull 160mi/hr until I hit my preferred 85% top-off limit. Then the car continued to hum loudly (likely cooling) after I disconnected and until i got out of the lot (spent at least 5mins trying to figure that noise out).

Anyone have this experience or have information? Thanks.
Your battery was hot and needed to cool down.

160/mi hr is not a lot in terms of kWh, which is how you should be measuring. Also, you have an older 85 pack so I assume charging is being throttled by Tesla.

🤔 Interesting. It's always stepped down little by little as it got closer to top-off before last night. I've had a few updates since I last SC'd.

Yeah, I was preoccupied and didn't bother to note the kW, or even acknowledge the difference from last time until I got back in the car. I wasn't monitoring it from the start, but at about halfway through, I noticed on the app that it was pulling 160mi/hr and stayed there.

You guys might be correct in that it's a l relatively low kW but it's def never held it there before, not continued to cool that loudly after I've unplugged.

Every time prior (less than a dozen), I've seen my car start pulling 70-75kW (250mi/hr for my car) with a low enough SOC (~25% capacity) on a 120kW Supercharger. But it always stepped down to around 30-35kW (110mi/hr on my car) around 50% SOC. So, not a huge difference, but it's def faster.

I guess it's nothing to worry about. Thanks guys.