Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharge every day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the upcoming installation of a super charger(SC) at the new service center in Highland Park, IL (see this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24986-Highland-Park-IL-Service-Center! for more details) I will have a SC that is almost directly on my route to work everyday. This means that I could use the SC as a part of my daily commute and cut out charging at home almost entirely.

60 miles a day? You will spend hardly any time at the SC. 20kW-25kW per day? me? I would just charge at home. And if you do use the SC, then you would spend 10-15 minutes at the SC a day. You will not impose on anyone. Have fun, use the SC. Don't worry about what others think. Using the SC sounds like it would get old after awhile.

I look forward to what you think out about using a SC. Keep us in the loop! We want to know the pros and cons of using a SC.

PS Make sure you plug in at home to keep the battery warm. 120v at 12 amps will do just fine.

Last edited:
60 miles a day? You will spend hardly any time at the SC. 20kW-25kW per day? me? I would just charge at home. And if you do use the SC, then you would spend 10-15 minutes at the SC a day. You will not impose on anyone. Have fun, use the SC. Don't worry about what others think. Using the SC sounds like it would get old after awhile.

I look forward to what you think out about using a SC. Keep us in the loop! We want to know the pros and cons of using a SC.

PS Make sure you plug in at home to keep the battery warm. 120v at 12 amps will do just fine.
^^This^^
I don't know that I would do it every day. And I would give way to others if the SC were crowded. Otherwise I would certainly imbibe on the generosity, and do so with thankfulness!

Man, where do you people live? and work? I have a 5 mile commute and my wife has a 1 mile commute. I can't imagine spending an hour+ each way sitting in a car....

south jersey to NYC. equivalent cost of housing is about 4x higher than where I live now. aka the value of my 2600sq ft house & 1 acre of ground wouldn't even buy me a 900sq ft apt up there.

Word - but if you had to, the Model S would be a fine vehicle to do it in!

exactly. just one of the rationale's I used to justify spending $100k on a car... 5 hrs in a car per day. its like a 2nd home.

Depends on the ambient temperature. 120 volts at 12 amps will not keep the regen limit from kicking in, in below freezing temperatures no matter how long it is plugged in. Just saying.

No they won't, nor can they. The SC service is advertised as unlimited, not under certain circumstances, unlimited. I have no doubt they will use the data to plan roll out, expansion, future pricing but wile it may get some people;s panties in a bunch the reality is if you paid for it, you can use it whenever you darn well feel like it. That said, try to be courteous.

This! +1

- - - Updated - - -

There are not many of us in the 30k+ miles club :) I only know of about 6 including myself. But one of those I think had 35k or 40k already. If I recall him and his wife split usage (drops him off at work then does her daily thing then picks him up etc etc something like that), and they travel something like 300 miles daily. They use the supercharger not once, but twice daily. It was on these forums somewhere...

I myself drive 210 miles daily and I can't make it round trip on a single charge. I charge at home to 80% which is about 200 rated miles and drive 100 miles to work leaving me at 15-60 rated left. This uses anywhere from 38-50kW and varies depending on traffic, speed, weather, and heat. and I drive fast. Btw yes those number are right, I've used up to 50kW go 100 miles (500kW/mile avg) a few times (and that's not even counting charging efficiency from the wall). So technically it pulls up close to 60kW sometimes.

When I reach my garage in the city I then plug in on a charge point and charge back up to 80% and repeat the 100 mile trek back home. . So I do charge at home and at a parking garage in the city. I try to keep it within the 80% -> 20% range always. I basically do a little more than two half cycles daily.

But there is a supercharger about to go under construction on my route. I use about 2500kW per month for the car alone with all the mileage I do and we do not have discount rates like you guys got out there in CA. So there's a very likely chance I might switch to SCing daily if it saves me about $350-$425/month in electricity. I wouldn't 100% charge solely there and not charge anywhere else (not talking about range charge, but amount of time spent charging at home vs SC). I'd probably calculate and time the charges in a way that I'd stop there once daily to charge from 15-85% and be on my way. Aka do something like schedule a charge at 40A and hour before I leave which would be enough to get me to the SC - in other words structure it in a way to maximize the free electrons while still keeping the battery somewhat around that safe zone (non-extremities). I'd probably park somewhere cheaper too if I don't need to charge at the garage anymore. Anywho the exact details of all that I would need to run but the point being is that I might consider doing this daily to save a few hundred bucks a month.

AFA it's effect on battery , all my research and even comments from Tesla employees and managers say that supercharging is the worst thing you could do for your battery outside of bricking it by leaving it dead or damaging it by leaving it at 100% in scorched weather. But Tesla's "official" word is that it's safe and the battery is warrantied and not to worry about it soooo the jury's still out on that one. Who knows.

I realize opinions on this will be very subjective. Some would say I could just continue what I'm doing now and not use the SC. Others would say "hey, we paid for it". Some might say "it's all free energy anyway so who cares?" (Assuming of course Tesla builds all those solar arrays). But who draws the line? Is there a specific mile have amount that warrants it being 'ok'? Or is it the purpose of your trip? Weekend leisure travel vs daily commute? Inter city driving vs "it's on the way home"? What if your like me and its a daily commute but it's far as hell and honestly I go past several cities daily? lol.

IMO there are no clear day and night rules here. The other thing to consider is that these superchargers on the easy coast go mostly unused unlike CA. The only competition we have out here for the supercharger spots is against a-hole ICE vehicles hogging the spots because they are too lazy to walk 10 feet further (and that IS a problem out here, and there have been a few very close road rage/fist fight incidents with these ICE drivers bc of that). While CA superchargers , well specific ones, seem to be used 24/7 I can see how a daily commuter would annoy travelers if all the spots are always taken. But for the time being that's going to take another year or so out here to get up to those levels...

thanks for chiming in yobigd20! I really think the key here is just to be courteous. Leave contact info in the window when using a SC so if someone has an emergency use case and all the stalls are full you can be accommodating. This is a great resource we've invested in and if we work together we can all use it for whatever our own purposes are without getting in each others way.

this part is particularly interesting to me though:
AFA it's effect on battery , all my research and even comments from Tesla employees and managers say that supercharging is the worst thing you could do for your battery outside of bricking it by leaving it dead or damaging it by leaving it at 100% in scorched weather. But Tesla's "official" word is that it's safe and the battery is warrantied and not to worry about it soooo the jury's still out on that one. Who knows.

If you wouldn't mind linking to some of your research sources I would appreciate it. From my limited knowledge set it seems like charge voltage and the cell temp are the key to preventing any degradation of the battery during charging as long as you stay some where in the 1-2C charge rate area. Assuming Tesla knows all this the super chargers should be able to stay in the "safe" range of the pack. I would guess that the number charge cycles involved in using SC's frequently would have a bigger impact on long term battery life but that is purely a guess. Maybe I'm naive but I would think Tesla would put the word out on this, like they have with Range charges, if this was really an issue.

Last edited:
There are not many of us in the 30k+ miles club :) I only know of about 6 including myself. But one of those I think had 35k or 40k already. If I recall him and his wife split usage (drops him off at work then does her daily thing then picks him up etc etc something like that), and they travel something like 300 miles daily. They use the supercharger not once, but twice daily. It was on these forums somewhere...

I myself drive 210 miles daily and I can't make it round trip on a single charge. I charge at home to 80% which is about 200 rated miles and drive 100 miles to work leaving me at 15-60 rated left. This uses anywhere from 38-50kW and varies depending on traffic, speed, weather, and heat. and I drive fast. Btw yes those number are right, I've used up to 50kW go 100 miles (500kW/mile avg) a few times (and that's not even counting charging efficiency from the wall). So technically it pulls up close to 60kW sometimes.

When I reach my garage in the city I then plug in on a charge point and charge back up to 80% and repeat the 100 mile trek back home. . So I do charge at home and at a parking garage in the city. I try to keep it within the 80% -> 20% range always. I basically do a little more than two half cycles daily.

But there is a supercharger about to go under construction on my route. I use about 2500kW per month for the car alone with all the mileage I do and we do not have discount rates like you guys got out there in CA. So there's a very likely chance I might switch to SCing daily if it saves me about $350-$425/month in electricity. I wouldn't 100% charge solely there and not charge anywhere else (not talking about range charge, but amount of time spent charging at home vs SC). I'd probably calculate and time the charges in a way that I'd stop there once daily to charge from 15-85% and be on my way. Aka do something like schedule a charge at 40A and hour before I leave which would be enough to get me to the SC - in other words structure it in a way to maximize the free electrons while still keeping the battery somewhat around that safe zone (non-extremities). I'd probably park somewhere cheaper too if I don't need to charge at the garage anymore. Anywho the exact details of all that I would need to run but the point being is that I might consider doing this daily to save a few hundred bucks a month.

I realize opinions on this will be very subjective. Some would say I could just continue what I'm doing now and not use the SC. Others would say "hey, we paid for it". Some might say "it's all free energy anyway so who cares?" (Assuming of course Tesla builds all those solar arrays). But who draws the line? Is there a specific mile have amount that warrants it being 'ok'? Or is it the purpose of your trip? Weekend leisure travel vs daily commute? Inter city driving vs "it's on the way home"? What if your like me and its a daily commute but it's far as hell and honestly I go past several cities daily? lol.

IMO there are no clear day and night rules here. The other thing to consider is that these superchargers on the easy coast go mostly unused unlike CA. The only competition we have out here for the supercharger spots is against a-hole ICE vehicles hogging the spots because they are too lazy to walk 10 feet further (and that IS a problem out here, and there have been a few very close road rage/fist fight incidents with these ICE drivers bc of that). While CA superchargers , well specific ones, seem to be used 24/7 I can see how a daily commuter would annoy travelers if all the spots are always taken. But for the time being that's going to take another year or so out here to get up to those levels...

Really? Which one did that happen at?

> Depends on the ambient temperature. 120 volts at 12 amps will not keep the regen limit from kicking in, [Forty Creek]

But I think it allows charging to start 'instantly' like when you decide at the last minute to make a day trip and find you need a quick extra 100 miles. Today 27*F I brought the S in from out in the field, plugged it in and was faced with a 17 amp (out of 30A available) interminable waiting period. Don't know how long it took 'preparing to charge' but that is wasted time I could have avoided by keeping it always plugged in. As Montgom626 says, keep it plugged in, any plug will do.
--

Really? Which one did that happen at?

I remember reading at least two different incidents. One of them was Howard at the Delaware supercharger. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!s...e/tesla-owners-of-nj/9cxKskfD_rs/TO_41TX4zQMJ

and some follow up with George B here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!s...e/tesla-owners-of-nj/q5FA5KGHW9M/uwOmetAK4c4J who said 'What you are describing is an unfortunate situation that we are aware of. It does not happen much, but it has happened now and then'

I met a MS owner in CT at one of the superchargers who has a 100-mile commute and he claims to supercharge everyday for 15 or 20 minutes. He makes a work phone call while charging. I'm sure Tesla knows all about his habits.

Man, where do you people live? and work? I have a 5 mile commute and my wife has a 1 mile commute. I can't imagine spending an hour+ each way sitting in a car....

I live in a state where I can get a kWh for 5 cents. My property taxes have dropped. And where traffic jams are not a way of life. Also, I ride my bicycle to work. Also, I did not have my sales tax increase by .25%.

I remember reading at least two different incidents. One of them was Howard at the Delaware supercharger. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!s...e/tesla-owners-of-nj/9cxKskfD_rs/TO_41TX4zQMJ

and some follow up with George B here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!s...e/tesla-owners-of-nj/q5FA5KGHW9M/uwOmetAK4c4J who said 'What you are describing is an unfortunate situation that we are aware of. It does not happen much, but it has happened now and then'

Crazy.

Now, iffatall, in your case, if you do not have means to plug in at home, and would be doing it temporally, go for it. I would recommend waiting to SC until your battery is a bit lower in charge, that way you can take advantage of the full SC charging speed. Please also concider charging at times when commuters that NEED the SC are at less demand of the units, or even possibly, find a level 2 station close to home.

Yes, I am planning to get the charging station installed in a few weeks time. It is taking some time because I live in a rented apartment, and have to resolve certain issues about circuit breaker availability. And as I mentioned in my original post, I am indeed planning to charge only once a week at the supercharger.

What I really meant to ask (and thought the OP was asking too) was whether charging only at the supercharger, not 100% range charge but up to the regular 90% limit, will harm the battery. I noticed some posts above did mention it. Is there any official information about this, or is there any evidence from people who have charged at superchargers too often?

I totally agree that charging at home is ALWAYS more convenient, does not cost much at all, and I personally would not want to wait at the supercharger charging on a regular basis. But whether it is a good idea and whether it is courteous to prefer to charge at superchargers instead of at home, is a separate discussion in my opinion. As far as whether Tesla would mind, again, I don't think they care.

Just because Tesla has said that the SuperChargers will be "free for life" doesn't mean they won't implement some restrictions. I can see them implementing a policy that limits the number of times the same SuperCharger can be used in a month or year. This would eliminate the problem of those people who try to use them as "personal" chargers. Such a restriction would not hamper their use as road-trip chargers as they are intended to be.

Just because Tesla has said that the SuperChargers will be "free for life" doesn't mean they won't implement some restrictions. I can see them implementing a policy that limits the number of times the same SuperCharger can be used in a month or year. This would eliminate the problem of those people who try to use them as "personal" chargers. Such a restriction would not hamper their use as road-trip chargers as they are intended to be.

but what if your job is to road trip every day? what constitutes a road trip vs a hell of a long ass commute or daily intercity travel? I doubt there will ever be any restrictions. If the SCs get used that much, they'll build more or start to actually use the battery swapping machines.