Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharge.info is down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody else created a GoFundMe several years ago, but I don't know what happened with the monies.
Click here to support BlueShift's Fund - Supercharge.info organized by Carl Saxton

If somebody can confirm it's truly alive and OK I'll make a well-overdue contribution. (I'll admit that I also preferred to use Supercharge.info for other map lookups because it's so much simpler and easier to use than Maps itself, which is so heavily focused on providing directions from your current location.)
I understood any donation went as a thank you to @BlueShift to which I happily donated. The site is great and looks like a lot of work. I hope there is a solution going forward. Let's boycott Googleo_O

A couple of thoughts:

If the Tesla Community ponied up money to pay for maintenance of supercharge.info how much would it be annually? Likewise, it would be helpful to estimate and assist with funding the TeslaWaze programmer. Perhaps a combined site supercharge.info + TeslaWaze could work (since TeslaWaze is already using Mapbox rather than Google maps).

Whatever the realistic expense amounts to can become the achievable target for donations.

Happy to assist with setup of a 4Giving.com account/link if folks are interested in making these valuable sites sustainable. Feel free to comment or send me a direct message.

Chris

Reactions: Drucifer
Source code is now on github ( kdwink/supercharge.info ). Running locally (with a functioning google map) really should be as easy as 'npm install; npm start`.

Sounds good. Do you plan to continue to maintain the dataset? I can imagine this is a bit of work.

I have had some helpers the past year or so which has reduced the burden significantly. There are currently six editors in addition to me. The supercharge.info feature I was working (slowly) on most recently was putting together a place for those with editor access to chat about updates. And allowing anyone to request editor access. forum.supercharge.info Have modified the about page to send users with site updates there instead of emailing them to [email protected] (only I could see the emails). @editor on forum.supercharge.info will send notification to all the current editors. I guess that forum can now double as a place to discuss code updates.

@BlueShift Just wanted to thank you for all of the effort you have put into this site for years. Your charting of Tesla's progress has kept many of us sane in an insane world. Let me know the next time you're in LA and I'll take you out for a ride in Kit, or rather, have Kit take you out for a ride!

Three ways we could fix this.

1. Require users to provide their own Google Maps API key. Requires a bit of setup on the user end, enabling billing in their Google account, etc.
2. Require users subscribe at a nominal monthly fee (say $2 USD/mo). More development required, but more of an assured and seamless solution vs option 1.
3. We could twist @Jdeck 's arm to roll this feature into TeslaFi.com

Anybody care to give some feedback on those options?

I have been playing around a little bit with www.openstreetmap.org this evening. I think users would really miss the satellite views and street views. When I'm visiting somewhere new those two features really help get a feel for the destination.

In a related/surprising development, people have started donating again to a gofundme campaign for supercharge.info that was originally stated in February of 2015.

Emergency request for funding help -supercharge.info

Click here to support BlueShift's Fund - Supercharge.info organized by Carl Saxton

Looks like about $1300 so far. I'm thinking that should allow me to re-enable the map while working on a solution.

Really starting to think we should try: Free for everyone, but $25/year to enable street view and routing. Will also try making page other than map the landing page, possibly explore other strategies for reducing maps cost.

I have been playing around a little bit with www.openstreetmap.org this evening. I think users would really miss the satellite views and street views. When I'm visiting somewhere new those two features really help get a feel for the destination...

How about using openstreetmap for the base map, then having some sort of 'view site' option that opens the location on plugshare on a different tab?

Perhaps default to OSM/other for non logged in users - for logged in users, default the same, but have a tickbox "use Google Maps" in settings?
I like this idea, if it can easily be done. OSM isn't very pretty but I think that for Supercharger nerds like Chuq and me, being easily able to play join-the-dots without racking up large Google map fees would be great. (Google Maps itself is actually crap for this nerdy stuff)

Note also for suggested functionality. Because of the disabled map affecting usability, I've noted that sometimes I just want to get from the change/addition in the Changes list to the linked TMC thread. If the changes list could use the data's forum link to provide a direct link to the thread that would save a maps hit, data and a couple of clicks.

Reactions: hgpayne
I like the idea of using openstreetmap for the free login and then using google maps for people that contribute 25. per year.

Every time I plan a road trip, the first thing I do is look at supercharge info to plan my route.

How about OSM for general mapping with a link to google maps? Clicking the link would launch google maps on a separate tab/window with a marker for the supercharger location. Actually since Google started added supercharger information to google maps maybe a link to that info? If it isn't in Google maps already (one under permit/construction would not be) I think one can request it be added. I know I can because I have added supercharger locations to google maps -- and even though my momma thinks I'm special, I'm really not.

The Tesla community is incredible.

The subscription model idea sounds awesome. In the meantime, here’s a quick way to fund in the moment...

4Giving.com/2TQB

I will direct net proceeds to @BlueShift. This fundraiser is open through the end of the year.

Chris

Attachments

• 014453D1-09D6-49F7-9A32-3465BC71F3FA.jpeg
    014453D1-09D6-49F7-9A32-3465BC71F3FA.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pluto
The Tesla community is incredible.

The subscription model idea sounds awesome. In the meantime, here’s a quick way to fund in the moment...

4Giving.com/2TQB

I will direct net proceeds to @BlueShift. This fundraiser is open through the end of the year.

Chris
There's already a fundraiser set up that BlueShift confirmed is official:
In a related/surprising development, people have started donating again to a gofundme campaign for supercharge.info that was originally stated in February of 2015.

Looks like about $1300 so far. I'm thinking that should allow me to re-enable the map while working on a solution.

Really starting to think we should try: Free for everyone, but $25/year to enable street view and routing. Will also try making page other than map the landing page, possibly explore other strategies for reducing maps cost.