TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharge is 1 month free for new owner with Model 3?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZooSean, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

#1 ZooSean, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    I just tried a supercharge session here in Markham Markville mall, I charged my car from 273km to 432km in about 30mins. My Tesla account still no history button, and my credit card has not been charged (it will send me an sms if it is charged for any amount.).

---------------------------------------
    Update:
    Okay, I take back what I said above..After 5 hours delay, Tesla charged me 7.8$, for charging Tier 1 for 39mins.

One more question: I am pretty sure that I picked up a charger left and right empty, why is tier 1 which is less than 60KW?

--------------------------

2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

You may have been lucky.........I have read that a couple other owners found the same thing.

3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I got charged supercharging mine during the first week of ownership at Hope BC but I have read where others have not been charged. Maybe it depends on whether they've updated the supercharger's software?

4. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

That won’t be the case as the place that I charged are pretty new.

5. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I doubt the electricians who install them update Tesla's internal software. That would be set at the factory and then updated by Tesla. My 3 was brand new when I picked it up and it had the update icon on it so being new doesn't always mean being updated, and it's likely the same for the superchargers. The ones up and running could have been updated with the latest software earlier than a newly installed one waiting for an update, at least in theory anyway, just like someone driving an older 3 would have newer software than my brand new 3, until I took the update.

6. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

You don't have to put up with not being charged for supercharging. How dare they do that to you? Call them and complain loudly. I suspect they will stop whatever they are doing and correct that deplorable situation. That will show'em.

• Funny x 2
  7. electracity

electracity Active Member

I really doubt that the superchargers need to be updated to enable billing. They have always done a "handshake" to know which car is plugged in and to record usage. Billing for charging is just a backend process.

8. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Updated at #1

9. Kuhz

Kuhz Member

Some people have found certain SuCs don’t charge for supercharging. I believe San Diego Sorrenro Valley is one.

10. Munch

Munch Member

How many km did you get for $7.80? How fast was it charging?

11. Tomayr

Tomayr Member

I supercharged day 1, and did not get charged for it. It appears $10.20 under my history in the model 3, but nowhere else.

12. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

You have to look at the actual numbers on the Supercharger. The paired charger may be 4 chargers away to the left or right depending on how the station is set up.

For instance, the Burlingron, WA supercharger goes 1a , 2a, 3a, 4a, 1b, 2b, 3b, 4b. So in this case, if you were charging in 1b and looked left and right and nobody was charging in those stalls but someone pulls into charge 4 stalls away in 1a, you are now paired and will be billed tier 1 rates.

13. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Thanks that could be the case..

14. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

From 273 to about 423..

15. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

I supercharged just for fun at the Lawrence SC after picking up my M3. It's roughly 0.05 per km. (Charged 44km, was charged $2.20). This is about half the cost of "gassing up" a 2017 Honda Civic for 44km.

16. MG01

MG01 Member

I took delivery on June 4th. Tesla started charging me for Supercharger use on June 14th.

17. trueliesgz

trueliesgz New Member

I did charge my car at Markville super charger right after delivery without being charged. I guess that was because my car wasn't linked to my tesla account at that moment

18. mistermatt

mistermatt Member

Only until you get your credit card statement.