Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharge queries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged for the first time at a Tesla supercharger. There were 4 bays, with one car using the first bay, so I opted for the 4th bay. At first, I was getting charge rate of 480 miles/hour. Then as I neared the remaining %, it slowed down to around 15 miles/hour! Is this normal? I've heard that if you park next to another car who is charging at the same time the charge rate is split between the two, but there were two empty bays in between myself and the other car. Also, a few minutes after I starting charging, there were a few knocking noises coming from below the car. I'm guessing it was the battery. Is this normal?

What % were you charging up to? The more full the battery is, the slower it charges.

And yes you don't want to share a bay, but whoever is there first gets full power. Also, 99% of the time just don't park next to people, but you should make sure the stall is A/B, you don't want to share A with someone's B.

And the knocking is normal, especially in the cold.

At first, I was getting charge rate of 480 miles/hour.

I would ignore the mph rate completely. What’s important is the kW rate which is the rate of energy flowing to the pack. The mph rate is averaged over the charging time and isn’t meaningful.

As others have said if you are sharing a pair (A/B) then the first car gets want it wants, when you plug in you’ll get approx 30kW as a minimum (assuming your battery is able to take that rate - it might not if really cold or really low). As the other cars charging rate slows down yours will increase.

as I neared the remaining %, it slowed down

Depends on the Model, and latest freebie-improvement-giveaway software update :), but in general terms 10% - 70% will charge "flat out", somewhat slower to 80% and then increasingly dramatically slower above that.

Arriving with cold battery, or below 10%, will mean that initially the charging is very "gentle" and, if appropriate, significant power being used to warm the battery.

Setting SatNav to location of the Supercharger (or it routing you "via" one) will cause the car to pre-condition the battery as you approach the Supercharger so that you charge at optimal speed as soon as you plug in (seems to be a bug that if you use the APP to calculate the route and then" transfer" that to the car then this pre-conditioning doesn't happen, so reselect on SatNav to force that if you know the battery is cold and you don't have a significant drive to get there (which will, of itself, warm the battery)

As already said avoid "pairing" at A/B stalls with an car already charging.

If you then find that charging doesn't ramp up to the kW you normally get the move to another stall. Sometimes one stall can be operating at lower power (would be nice if SatNav told you any stall NOT to use ...)

I recommend watching a charge and seeing what the kW is at various percentage state-of-charge so that you get a feel for what it should be.