Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharge twice or drive farther and supercharge once?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on what sort of trips you take, I guess. If I'm taking a road trip, it's to see stuff in the area I'm driving through. I rarely drive more than 300 miles in a day. If I want to get someplace I'll fly and rent a car when I get there. I did say for a lot of people, not everybody.

A lot depends on where you live. When we lived in Vancouver, we were never more than a couple of hours away from anything that we wanted to do. Here in DFW, it's hundreds to thousands of miles. (Unfortunately, Vancouver is way too expensive to live in anymore.)

2. I live close to a supercharger, and I'm hoping to skip the first nearest two chargers (25 and 105 miles) to get to the third charger 207 miles away. I'm guessing if I range charge before I leave, having a 33 mile buffer will be enough...

Having a charger at 105 miles ought to make things pretty easy. As you get close to that one, see what your buffer is for the 207-mile one. If it's still decent, then keep on going. If the buffer looks iffy, or you feel like stopping anyway, change course for the 105-mile one.

I recommend if you can to try and have twice as much range as needed if you are coming to a super charger. Last weekend full charged got almost half way to our destination but the hwy was closed because of a major accident. We were forced to take a 175km detour. Thankfully slow driving and good weather so we made it. Point is, you never know about these situations or detours or sudden weather. Stop for 10 minutes if you can and it could save your bacon

I recommend if you can to try and have twice as much range as needed if you are coming to a super charger. Last weekend full charged got almost half way to our destination but the hwy was closed because of a major accident. We were forced to take a 175km detour. Thankfully slow driving and good weather so we made it. Point is, you never know about these situations or detours or sudden weather. Stop for 10 minutes if you can and it could save your bacon

Because Canada ;)

Your experience on the east coast differs from mine on the west coast. In California all the Superchargers I have used (about a dozen) are within a minute or two drive from the freeway/highway.

Heh. Try approaching the Manteca SC when northbound. Good ol' Nav had me exit the 5 and proceed overland easily 15 miles, including a left turn against nonstop (for many minutes) oncoming traffic on the 132 from Modesto. At 0500, no less. Easily a half-hour of schlepping to get to that SC after leaving the 5.

Anything to make that stop unnecessary for northbound travel would be advisable. Same
sort of silliness was promulgated by Nav/Trip Planner for St. George in one direction but not the other. This is why crowdsourcing the Supercharger Tips doc has been so hepful.

Thanks for all the tips folks. I'll be doing my first road trip next week. 440 miles each way...

1. EV Trip planner is awesome, but there is no 70D love. You would think that it would be easy to add? Does the site creator use TMC?
2. I live close to a supercharger, and I'm hoping to skip the first nearest two chargers (25 and 105 miles) to get to the third charger 207 miles away. I'm guessing if I range charge before I leave, having a 33 mile buffer will be enough...

Probably ok, for the summer, but in the winter it will be tight. I would spend 10 minutes at the 105 mile distant charger.