Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharged conversations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chopr147

Apr 3, 2016
Wantagh, NY
I was thinking how supercharging will give me a chance to talk with other tesla owners. I had been in a Corvette club for a few years and getting together with strangers and Corvettes has been enjoyable. We all had something in common.......our love of everything 'Vette. But, alas
I sold my Corvette a couple of years ago :(
I live on Long Island and I can envision going to the local supercharger whether I need it or not just to shoot the shtttt about the car, EV's etc.... And also learn from other Tesla owners about accessories, maintenance, home charging etc....
SO yes I am very excited about getting a Model 3 but have to tamp that down a bit. NY is nowhere near first on that delivery list :( and I probably won't see my car until April or May 2018.
Sorry, I'm just spit-balling out loud here.

Years ago I would attend "show n' shines" at local Sonics for an F-150 enthusiast website, having at the time one of those trucks myself. That was fun. But I anticipate the excitement over a different way of living with electric cars will be much more fun.

I also foresee in many areas of the country, even in the heavy urban area I live, us Tesla Model 3 owners, at least in the beginning, being a somewhat rare sight around town. It's a treat whenever I see a Model S on the road, and that is not often. As more Model 3s are produced the novelty will thin but not for some time after production starts, I think. The EV community is small now, is growing steadily, but at some point it will exponentially take off. That said, Superchargers will always hold a bonding draw since they are exclusive to a Tesla vehicle.

If this Tesla thing really takes off I see supercharger "gas stations" with a bunch of charges, cafe and convience items ect.

Maybe you should get a Tesla emblem and put it on your car till your three comes. Then you can hang out at a supercharger and shoot the sheet, Lol:)

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx
Maybe you should get a Tesla emblem and put it on your car till your three comes. Then you can hang out at a supercharger and shoot the sheet, Lol:)

I, and all the Tesla owners I know, would be happy to shoot the sh*t with anyone at a Supercharger, Tesla emblem or not. Er, but please don't ICE the charging spaces. :)

Going back to the OP's first post, my wife, son, and I stumbled on a nearby Corvette show a few weeks ago. What a great bunch of people...we had fascinating conversations about Corvettes, Teslas, and everything in between. (Did I mention I'm not particularly a car person?)

Bruce.

Reactions: Chopr147
We have owned our S for two years. I noticed in the first year or so that when I supercharged, owners would usually hang around, and I wound up charging longer than I needed as we shot the breeze about our cars. We shared knowledge about all matters Tesla. However, more recently (at least here in California) that most folks just park, jump out, plug in, and jump back into their cars to do whatever. Some will walk to a nearby business and return to their cars. I am lucky if they return a wave.

Perhaps the novelty has worn off here in California.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx
Perhaps the novelty has worn off here in California.
The same thing happened with the Prius. I used to get waves, thumbs-ups, horn toots, and smiles from other Prius drivers and even from some non-Prius drivers. People would stop by in parking lots and ask me about my hybrid car. However, even before the second generation came out, the Prius had become so commonplace around here that no one paid attention anymore. I think it also had to do with the first wave of owners being the early adopters who were more rabid and had more reasons for choosing a new-fangled hybrid car (and were not shy about telling everyone why it's great); subsequent owners were primarily looking at the gas savings benefit rather than the environmental or technological aspects.

I, and all the Tesla owners I know, would be happy to shoot the sh*t with anyone at a Supercharger, Tesla emblem or not. Er, but please don't ICE the charging spaces. :)

Going back to the OP's first post, my wife, son, and I stumbled on a nearby Corvette show a few weeks ago. What a great bunch of people...we had fascinating conversations about Corvettes, Teslas, and everything in between. (Did I mention I'm not particularly a car person?)

Bruce.[/QU
Corvette owners loved to talk about their cars. One reason is all the work put into them, especially the older ones. Which really goes for any car show. When I first bought a 1986 Corvette in 2001 it was a mess. I put many hours into it making it like new again. Normally a reserved person,ask me a question about my car and I could talk non-stop :)
I am 52, retiring soon and don't have the interest in working on the "oily parts" any more. The Model 3 will be such a change regarding maintenance. I'll use the extra time driving it :)

I have noticed much less interaction at Superchargers the last year or so. At first there were so few of us that the odds were high that you would run into the same person a month or two later. The first time we were at Harris Ranch (it was only 1 stall back then), my wife saw a white model S approaching and commented, I wonder if that is Richard. Sure enough it was.

In any case Tesla people tend to be very interesting folks. I have learned a lot on other subjects besides Teslas chatting at a supercharger.