Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharged (paid supercharging) but didn't get a bill or charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been over a year since I've supercharged because I simply didn't need to and home charging was sufficient, plus covid and all. Recently I supercharged because I needed to. The charging worked fine and I saw the amount show up in the UI in the car. However when looking at the history on tesla.com the charge never showed up, nor has anything showed up on my credit card. I've already removed and readded the CC to see if that helped, but no change. It's now been 4 days since; I have charged at this location before.

One thing to note is that I did have some referral miles before, but they've expired already; they were extended because of the virus.

Has anyone experienced this issue recently? The last thing I would want is there to be some issue with my account and get stuck at a supercharger because of a billing issue.

I have free miles left on my account until 2023 at earliest and when I (rarely) use the Supercharger I see the charged amount as well; but never actually get charged. Tesla doesn't even have my credit card anyway.

Sometimes Tesla suspends charging, not billing, in certain areas in event of severe circumstances.

Either way Tesla allows bills, in my experiences over the years, if you have free miles or not. But they don't always charge.

I wouldn't worry about this. I was freaked out about this years ago as well initially. I understand your situation may be different.

EDIT: It's only been 4 days as well. They might bulk bill you which would be cheaper since CC billing is one time fee plus percent. If they indeed need to charge you they will. It's not like they don't know where you live, or where the car is at any moment. ;)

Reactions: alexgr
It happened once to me. The bill shows $0 charge for one of my supercharger sessions on a trip.
upload_2021-2-4_0-21-57.png

I picked up my new MY a couple of weeks ago. On the (long) way home I stopped twice at SCs. The second one because the map showed I would arrive home with 11% left and I wasn’t sure yet how reliable that was and I didn’t want to run out of electrons on my very first trip.

Anyway, in my Tesla.com account the second charge appears (15 miles, free thanks to referral credit). The first one (longer actually) doesn’t show up. Weird.

I think Tesla has taken the user friendly approach of dealing with the situation where they can’t communicate with the mothership to validate a charge/card. Rather than saying “sorry, the network is down, you can’t charge “, they say “come on in and have a free charge on us”.
i can’t see EA or any of the other charging networks doing that.

I think Tesla has taken the user friendly approach of dealing with the situation where they can’t communicate with the mothership to validate a charge/card. Rather than saying “sorry, the network is down, you can’t charge “, they say “come on in and have a free charge on us”.
i can’t see EA or any of the other charging networks doing that.
This is the case but it doesn't last forever. You will get stuck at a Supercharger if you don't deal with credit card issues quickly. Once you get stuck at a Supercharger, getting someone to help you is not going to be fun.

Well, my very first SC usage eventually showed up in my account. Must have been at least two weeks delayed. Perhaps the records get mailed to Tesla HQ via USPS snail mail.

I now have another charge “missing” from the Sandy, OR SC. A second visit, two days later, appeared pretty quickly. Oh well, it’s for now all funny money (referral credits that I am unlikely going to use up).

I have a similar situation, I charged my car at a supercharger 3-4 times and got billed and out my card in file. After the 3 or 4 times I haven’t been billed. I never got referral miles or supercharger miles. I’ve used it over 20+ times over last 6+ months. On my statement from tesla it says no charging activity for the month. And my cc no charges on it. Even with new tesla update it does not report super charger uses. So not sure what’s going on but not complaint either