Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Big Bear Lake, CA (LIVE 28 Oct 2023, 6 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6 chargers. Two at the entrance, 4 other side. These will be iced, especially the ones right at the entrance.

View from store entrance.

PXL_20230902_032557112.jpg

Liquor Store Staff said one more month to turn on.

View from the other side. The Rivian hides one of the chargers, the other is just barely visible behind it.

There is one DCFC CCS a few blocks away, so there will be demand by non-Tesla for these.

PXL_20230902_032816717.jpg

I stopped by today and saw all the chargers covered in plain, white canvas tubes. I was told that there is concern about the electrical infrastructure in the town and they don't know when they will be open. Perhaps not until ski season? We shall see.
I'm commenting as a former resident whose family still has a couple of properties near the airport, I'd be surprised if Ski Season was a benchmark since ski lifts - especially express chairs - run multiple large 3-phase motors. Did you get the info from Bear Valley Electric?

Looking at Bear Valley Electric's fact sheet, the mountain's entire peak load was 41.5MW in 2022, and between all substations, there's a capacity of over 105 MVA (MW?). Considering the potential of ~1.5MW max (I'm sure there are ways to spread this out on site), that's not a significant amount of the total % capacity-wise, but if the substation in the area is being taxed by Tesla and the other DCFC in the area, that could be the issue. I have to wonder if Tesla got access to the infrastructure or capacity that Snow Forest once used until it was closed in the 1990s (I know that was 30 years ago) or if other properties or resorts have since gobbled up what was there.

The app says it's 250kw V3 chargers. More than 6 would have been nice but 6 is way better than 0.
6 is better than 0, but I foresee a severe congestion problem at this site during the winter. People just have to remember that the amount of regen they get going down the hill is massive. This is a good spot for Tesla to restrict charging to 80% (or less), at least on busy days. There are more than enough chargers at the bottom of the hill.

IMHO, the resorts would be ideal locations for 10 slow chargers. Charge all day while skiing.