Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Colorado Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:

I drove down to that city parking garage and looked around. Where the equipment will go is unclear, but I will tell you more as construction starts.

When the supercharger opens, each Tesla vehicle will be granted one hour of free parking to charge their vehicle. Any time spent over the one hour will be charged to the vehicle owner. The parking rates are $.75 per hour up to a daily maximum of $6.75. This applies only to regular business hours ( M-F 8am – 3pm). After hours and on weekends/holidays, it costs $1 to get into the facility for unlimited time (or until business hours starts). To get in, there is a credit card reader that only accepts Visa and MasterCard. There is also a bill reader into which you can deposit folding money. The facility is manned during business hours.

This facility is open 24/7. It is well lighted and there are monitored security cameras watching all vehicle and pedestrian access points. There is a Security Patrol that performs random drive-throughs and checks stairwells throughout the night and on weekends. Although there are no guarantees of safety and security, there are a large number of women that work in the area that use this facility and they come and go at all hours without problems.

I will keep you posted on developments!

Mac

I charged at that garage's L2 station before the Tesla Rally. It's a very nice facility with tons of things to do while charging. I'm glad they chose it as a supercharger location. Hopefully they won't get rid of the L2 chargers, though!

IMG_2196.jpg

Tvuolo, it was great to meet you and your family and see your roadster! Just a note, the location you charged at is not the location of the new supercharger. The supercharger will be about 4 blocks away from this location. The location you charged at is at the corner of Nevada and Colorado Avenues. The new supercharger will be in a completely different, city-owned parking garage at the corner of Bijou and Cascade Avenues.

Attachments

• CS Parking Garage.JPG
    CS Parking Garage.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 182
napoleonblownapa, thanks for the update. I've been following this forum. I wanted to let you know I appreciate any updates! I'm a Tesla owner in Monument and I drive to Pueblo all the time. While we make it there and back just find without a Supercharger, we had a couple close calls during the winter. So, we are excited to have that Supercharger as a "safety net"

- - - Updated - - -

Stevezzzz,

I see you have a SigX order! That's awesome. I'm a Model S owner in Monument. I sure hope to see you driving around. I was with the pre-event press test drives at the X event so I got to drive the Model X for about 12 minutes and look over the car extensively. I was blown away.

Daniel: We are forming a little Tesla group here in Colorado Springs. You (and anyone else in the area) with an interest, just let me know your email address to keep you updated. [email protected]

Updated information on the Colorado Springs Supercharger.

I keep checking the building permit but it appears to still be out for approval by the Colorado Springs Fire District. The City Parking Administrator says the site is actively under construction, however! We don't need no stinkin' PERMITS!! The Project Administrator for Tesla says, "We are working to open the new Colorado Springs site as quickly as possible. We are never able to provide definitive timelines, since external factors can always affect the process. That said, the site is actively under construction and we hope to energize and open to the public by the end of the year."

Woo hoo! I am tied up tomorrow (Tuesday), but could someone go down there and see if they can see any progress? If so, take a photo and post it here! Mac

• Funny
Reactions: Pecos Bill
I'm very curious as to the ventilation needs with regards to the shed charging equipment. Specifically, if it appears there is no open-air flow to the parking garage, does that affect the type of equipment they will be installing as opposed to a normal outside setup.

If there is enough ventilation to get rid of the ICE exhaust and the waste heat of the the ICE vehicles in the garage, there will be plenty of ventilation for the Supercharger Site in the garage.

I most certainly asked the construction crew for permission to photograph them - see the "thumbs up" sign I got?

There is LOADS of ventilation in that garage, the windows you see are likely for the comfort of the construction crew. It gets rather chilly in that garage!

What I don't understand is the concrete that's in the photo. The trench that is not complete clearly will carry the electrical conduit, but it has no concrete in it as of now. It appears that the concrete that is poured (it was the day I took the photo!) is not smoothed out, perhaps it just keeps the pipes in place. The garage floor is concrete but not the darker stuff that was poured. I would assume they pull the wires and conduit all at once, then pour concrete on top in one event but that's clearly not the case.

• Informative
Reactions: Pecos Bill
The crew is making rapid progress. Forms are set up for an 8-station SC, conduit is starting to be emplaced.
20151209_141837a.jpg

Amusing observation: There's an abandoned bank drive-thru structure across the street. Why not acquire that property? They already have lanes under a roof that can be converted into charging stalls. There are vacuum lines to each stall, I bet you could draw the wires thru them. And set up a miniature coffee bar in the lobby.
20151209_145444a.jpg

Anyway, there are just a boatload of restaurants within a block of the SC:
all-restaurants.jpg

But, top top it off: the Ola Juice Bar. We are totally having a launch-day rendezvous at COS just so we can hang out at the juice bar. I promised the girls who run the place.
20151209_144432a.jpg

I most certainly asked the construction crew for permission to photograph them - see the "thumbs up" sign I got?

There is LOADS of ventilation in that garage, the windows you see are likely for the comfort of the construction crew. It gets rather chilly in that garage!

What I don't understand is the concrete that's in the photo. The trench that is not complete clearly will carry the electrical conduit, but it has no concrete in it as of now. It appears that the concrete that is poured (it was the day I took the photo!) is not smoothed out, perhaps it just keeps the pipes in place. The garage floor is concrete but not the darker stuff that was poured. I would assume they pull the wires and conduit all at once, then pour concrete on top in one event but that's clearly not the case.

Construction sequence is typically install conduit in trenches, pour concrete in trench, and then cables are pulled through the conduit afterwards....

We truly must organize a "go live" event at the juice bar, eat at the restaurants, hassle the homeless, generally make a sour name for Tesla owners. I'm in!

UPDATE: I visited the Colorado Springs SC today, some of the transformers are in.

IMG_8907.jpg
IMG_8908.JPG

Last edited: